Football this season

Anything sportlike
subsub

Re: Football this season

Post by subsub »

henrycrs wrote:Fuck this season. Shit can it now. Unfortunate yes, but the world can’t delay future seasons cos it’s ‘unfair’

?
Why is next season, which hasn't even begun yet, more important than one that's already more than three-quarters complete?
That makes no sense.
WOKE AND PROUD

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

subsub wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:If the crisis continues deep into the autumn, it may be necessary to cancel the entire 2020/21 season home and abroad,
and simply play the 2019/20 to a conclusion. Unless teams want to play 4 games a week.

Who knows, AB?
But I find this notion that safeguarding a season that hasn't even started yet being more important than finishing a season that's more than 75% concluded very strange.
It's almost as if fans of certain teams who haven't had the season they'd like are keen to forget this one and move on :wink:

Conversely, it seems to be fans of certain clubs who are desparate to conclude this season even if it’s not done till October. No idea why :wink:

Personally, I would definitely prefer this season finished however it affects my team or anyone else’s but then again I don’t want a different 20-21 season that means no cups or a silly amount of games in a short space of time. The problem is just no one knows what’s going to happen, how long lockdown will be etc. I don’t want to see games behind closed doors either.

One thing I reckon everyone agrees with is the missing of football and all sport in general. It’s the pits :(

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Jonathan wrote: One thing I reckon everyone agrees with is the missing of football and all sport in general. It’s the pits :(
I'm not sure. If I supported Stevenage or Southend for example, I wouldn't be missing getting slaughtered each week.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Zambo wrote:
Jonathan wrote: One thing I reckon everyone agrees with is the missing of football and all sport in general. It’s the pits :(
I'm not sure. If I supported Stevenage or Southend for example, I wouldn't be missing getting slaughtered each week.

Nah, I bet those fans would rather be going to watch their team getting a hammering than living in this current climate.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

IMO there is no chance of football until August of next year....the 2021/22 season.

And God knows how many clubs will have gone to the wall by then.

They are now talking about six months before the restrictions end.

And they can’t even say that with any degree of certainty.

Not that it matters in the greater scheme of things.

Football is totally unimportant right now.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

I heard fifty years
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

subsub wrote:
henrycrs wrote:Fuck this season. Shit can it now. Unfortunate yes, but the world can’t delay future seasons cos it’s ‘unfair’

?
Why is next season, which hasn't even begun yet, more important than one that's already more than three-quarters complete?
That makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense if you're a supporter of Manchester United or Everton.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Republico

Post by Republico »

Petingo wrote:IMO there is no chance of football until August of next year....the 2021/22 season.

And God knows how many clubs will have gone to the wall by then.

They are now talking about six months before the restrictions end.

And they can’t even say that with any degree of certainty.

Not that it matters in the greater scheme of things.

Football is totally unimportant right now.

Government talking about restrictions lasting for at least 6 months. Thats 2020/2021 season finished. It's difficult to see season starting in November. There is also other issues. Think many clubs could go bust.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Basualdo wrote:
subsub wrote:

?
That makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense if you're a supporter of Manchester United or Everton.

Heh, exactly.
Except that they couldn't care less about the actual rights and wrongs of scrapping the season; they're just desperate for Liverpool not to win the league by any means necessary.
WOKE AND PROUD

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Not at all Sub. people put the greater needs of the sport above the narrow minded and shameless self interest of any one club.We've been told at Non League level that there's no chance of football before September.

August is when hope springs eternal for clubs up and down the country We all start on an equal footing.. Having to finish a league with nothing to play for is going to kill crowds dead.

It's unfortunate for Liverpool, but the only logical way out is to void the season and start anew in August.
There's no poem, just prose.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Jonathan wrote:
subsub wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:If the crisis continues deep into the autumn, it may be necessary to cancel the entire 2020/21 season home and abroad,
and simply play the 2019/20 to a conclusion. Unless teams want to play 4 games a week.

Who knows, AB?
But I find this notion that safeguarding a season that hasn't even started yet being more important than finishing a season that's more than 75% concluded very strange.
It's almost as if fans of certain teams who haven't had the season they'd like are keen to forget this one and move on :wink:

Conversely, it seems to be fans of certain clubs who are desparate to conclude this season even if it’s not done till October. No idea why :wink:

Personally, I would definitely prefer this season finished however it affects my team or anyone else’s but then again I don’t want a different 20-21 season that means no cups or a silly amount of games in a short space of time. The problem is just no one knows what’s going to happen, how long lockdown will be etc. I don’t want to see games behind closed doors either.

One thing I reckon everyone agrees with is the missing of football and all sport in general. It’s the pits :(

Oddly enough Jon, I am missing the horse racing much more than the football.

And you are spot on....it would be preposterous to mess about with next season, if we actually have one, just to see out a season which almost everyone has completely lost interest in due to the fact we have far more important things to think about right now.

Like an actual plague which is poised to kill thousands of us over the next few months......and whether the survivors will still have businesses to run or jobs to go do when it is over.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:people put the greater needs of the sport above the narrow minded and shameless self interest of any one club.

It's unfortunate for Liverpool, but the only logical way out is to void the season and start anew in August.

And the other thing, which I didn't say in my previous post, is that Man U fans also display huge levels of piousness when doing so, pushing this moral argument, when secretly we all know what the motivation behind it is :D
WOKE AND PROUD

subsub

Post by subsub »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:Having to finish a league with nothing to play for is going to kill crowds dead

Nothing to play for?
Tell that to all the teams trying to avoid relegation or trying to get into the CL.
WOKE AND PROUD

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

subsub wrote:

?
That makes no sense.
How long do you hold out to complete the season? July/September/November? - the unknown makes it impossible when we have the 20/21 season, the Euros in 2021 and a World Cup in 2022.

As the Euros have been moved, the 20/21 season will not be cancelled or delayed due to that.

The longer it’s left the players lose match fitness and sharpness, any momentum (good or bad) has been lost, players who were injured (like Kane) will be fit, which creates a different landscape for the season.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Subsequent seasons can be cancelled as in WW2 . You don't leave a house half-built before you lay the foundations for another one.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.