James McClean (Poppy Dodger).

Anything sportlike
Darkyboy

Re: James McClean (Poppy Dodger).

Post by Darkyboy »

Sounds like plenty of rage coming from the usual bigoted, anti-English suspects too.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Hes Irish. There are a lot of Irish folks who are not keen on the British armed forces, with very good reason, in their eyes.

I think a lot of people forget what we did to Ireland and their people up until fairly recently. It is understandable for him to not want to wear one, you can't force people to.

I don't understand why people refuse to look at both of sides of the coin. Especially with something like this, the British invaded and occupied Ireland and still have basically stolen a chunk of it, surely you can understand there might be some anomisity there. Would you love the french if they had done the same and to this day, kept London as a French city? Probably not.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Eaststand on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build Back More Betterer

Reg

Post by Reg »

Most people, including McClean, have sympathy for the victims of war, but like it or not the poppy remains a politicised symbol.

No one should feel pressured to wear one, and I personally find the whole poppy hysteria quite nauseating.
Roy IN!!

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

I agree. If he doesn’t want to wear one then so be it. I can understand his reasons why. The abuse the ITN newsreader gets is also ridiculous.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Perhaps he could wear a green poppy, to commemorate the 49,000 Irishmen who died in WW1 and the over 7,500 [some reckon 10,000+] who died in WW2.
He has been quoted as saying that he has no objections to commemorating the fallen of these conflicts.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Poppy fascism seems to have been ramped up this year.

I noticed Brighton’s kit had poppies in them at Yhe Park at t’ weekend.

And then on MOTD all the away teams seemed to be the same.

Heretofore....that is to say from some time round about a decade and a half or so when this aggressive poppy wearing became a thing in the wake of two very unpopular wars half the world away and the manufacturing of consent for same.... ..the drill was a team wore a poppy on their shirts on the occasion of the closest home match to Armistice Day but never on away kits.

Then there is the X Factor.

I don’t watch that show but last night I caught a trailer for it and it showed a clip of Saturday night’s briadcast, which had a Halloween theme and the principals were in fancy dress.

The bloke whom introduces it was dressed as Dracula.

Simon Cowell was wrapped from head to toe in bandages, presumably he was a mummy.

Robbie Williams was dressed as an outlandish Simon Cowell :rolleyes:

And the other two judges were dressed in similiar garb.

And all of them had a great big poppy stuck on their costumes.

That is, a bloke in a Dracula costume and another dressed as an Egyptian mummy.

Not only did it look ridiculous....but it looked totally disrespectful.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Sinbad

Post by Sinbad »

The same shit every year.. You want to wear a poppy, wear one. If you don't want to wear one then don't.

I wear a poppy of some kind for most of the year, not just late October/ early November. That's my choice, if folk choose not to wear a poppy that's fine with me.
Forever In Our Shadow
It's now ELEVEN LONG YEARS since spurs last won a trophy
Why don't talkSPORT ever mention this ?

Have you ever seen tottenham win the league?

Click here :- http://www.haveyoueverseentottenhamwintheleague.com/

subsub

Post by subsub »

Sinbad wrote:I wear a poppy of some kind for most of the year, not just late October/ early November. That's my choice, if folk choose not to wear a poppy that's fine with me

Hang on, you wear a poppy all the year round EXCEPT in the run-up to Remembrance Sunday? :?
WOKE AND PROUD

Sinbad

Post by Sinbad »

subsub wrote:
Sinbad wrote:I wear a poppy of some kind for most of the year, not just late October/ early November. That's my choice, if folk choose not to wear a poppy that's fine with me

Hang on, you wear a poppy all the year round EXCEPT in the run-up to Remembrance Sunday? :?

Where did i say that ?

:?
Forever In Our Shadow

subsub

Post by subsub »

Sinbad wrote:
subsub wrote:

Where did i say that ?

:?

:lol:
Sorry, Sin, misread it. I thought you said 'just not late October' etc

My mistake :oops:
WOKE AND PROUD

Sinbad

Post by Sinbad »

... :smt023
Forever In Our Shadow

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Sinbad wrote:The same shit every year.. You want to wear a poppy, wear one. If you don't want to wear one then don't.

I wear a poppy of some kind for most of the year, not just late October/ early November. That's my choice, if folk choose not to wear a poppy that's fine with me.

Same here, Ive got a cool enamel hull city poppy that I leave on my jacket all year round.

But if you dont wanna wear one, who cares.
Build Back More Betterer

Sinbad

Post by Sinbad »

Eaststand wrote:
Sinbad wrote:The same shit every year.. You want to wear a poppy, wear one. If you don't want to wear one then don't.

Same here, Ive got a cool enamel hull city poppy that I leave on my jacket all year round.

But if you dont wanna wear one, who cares.

8)
Forever In Our Shadow

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Reg wrote:Most people, including McClean, have sympathy for the victims of war, but like it or not the poppy remains a politicised symbol.

No one should feel pressured to wear one, and I personally find the whole poppy hysteria quite nauseating.

Indeed and a great shame. A symbol of remembrance, turned by many into a political one. Wear one or don't wear one, no one should be castigated for their choice, but those who use it too make a political statement like McLean are cunts. It is common knowledge what his views are and why he refuses to wear one on his football shirt. He should therefore expect chants from football fans, and he does himself no favours by quoting Bobby Sands in retaliation. The Poppy has fuck all to do with whether you are an IRA sympathiser and supporter, or whether you support the British army, it's to show respect and to honour those who gave their lives in wars. You can still do that of course without wearing one, but don't turn the choice not to wear one for reasons like McLean does.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Zambo wrote:
Reg wrote:Most people, including McClean, have sympathy for the victims of war, but like it or not the poppy remains a politicised symbol.

Indeed and a great shame. A symbol of remembrance, turned by many into a political one. Wear one or don't wear one, no one should be castigated for their choice, but those who use it too make a political statement like McLean are cunts. It is common knowledge what his views are and why he refuses to wear one on his football shirt. He should therefore expect chants from football fans, and he does himself no favours by quoting Bobby Sands in retaliation. The Poppy has fuck all to do with whether you are an IRA sympathiser and supporter, or whether you support the British army, it's to show respect and to honour those who gave their lives in wars. You can still do that of course without wearing one, but don't turn the choice not to wear one for reasons like McLean does.

Maybe he wants to woo Jeremy Corbyn into becoming a Stoke fan. :wink: