James McClean (Poppy Dodger).

Anything sportlike
Petingo

Re: James McClean (Poppy Dodger).

Post by Petingo »

Zambo wrote:
Reg wrote:Most people, including McClean, have sympathy for the victims of war, but like it or not the poppy remains a politicised symbol.

No one should feel pressured to wear one, and I personally find the whole poppy hysteria quite nauseating.

Indeed and a great shame. A symbol of remembrance, turned by many into a political one. Wear one or don't wear one, no one should be castigated for their choice, but those who use it too make a political statement like McLean are cunts. It is common knowledge what his views are and why he refuses to wear one on his football shirt. He should therefore expect chants from football fans, and he does himself no favours by quoting Bobby Sands in retaliation. The Poppy has fuck all to do with whether you are an IRA sympathiser and supporter, or whether you support the British army, it's to show respect and to honour those who gave their lives in wars. You can still do that of course without wearing one, but don't turn the choice not to wear one for reasons like McLean does.

And therein lies your problem.

Those “wars” include British army involvement in Ireland and betwen the Black and Tans in the 1920s and the actions of the Parachute Regiment in Derry in 1972 is it any wonder Irish people don’t share your Kiplingesque view?

McClean grew up in Derry, near the scene of the Bloody Sunday murders so his view is very much coloured by that.

Just as Nemanja Vidic refuses to wear a poppy on hus shirt due to the British bombing his country in the late 90s.

Now, any reasonable person, and there are more than several on this thread, would just accept that a fellow is free to wear a poppy or not wear one according to hus or her own beliefs......instead of making up reasons to justify McClean’s treatment, and that of his family, by thugs at football matches.

And it is none of your business whether they do or not.....simple as.

And all the faux outrage and feigned indignation and ranting you do about it Zam just makes you look silly.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Petingo wrote:Just as Nemanja Vidic refuses to wear a poppy on hus shirt due to the British bombing his country in the late 90s

Matic.
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Petingo wrote:
Zambo wrote:
Reg wrote:Most people, including McClean, have sympathy for the victims of war, but like it or not the poppy remains a politicised symbol.

No one should feel pressured to wear one, and I personally find the whole poppy hysteria quite nauseating.

Indeed and a great shame. A symbol of remembrance, turned by many into a political one. Wear one or don't wear one, no one should be castigated for their choice, but those who use it too make a political statement like McLean are cunts. It is common knowledge what his views are and why he refuses to wear one on his football shirt. He should therefore expect chants from football fans, and he does himself no favours by quoting Bobby Sands in retaliation. The Poppy has fuck all to do with whether you are an IRA sympathiser and supporter, or whether you support the British army, it's to show respect and to honour those who gave their lives in wars. You can still do that of course without wearing one, but don't turn the choice not to wear one for reasons like McLean does.

Those “wars” include British army involvement in Ireland and betwen the Black and Tans in the 1920s and the actions of the Parachute Regiment in Derry in 1972 is it any wonder Irish people don’t share your Kiplingesque view?

McClean grew up in Derry, near the scene of the Bloody Sunday murders so his view is very much coloured by that.

Just as Nemanja Vidic refuses to wear a poppy on hus shirt due to the British bombing his country in the late 90s.

Now, any reasonable person, and there are more than several on this thread, would just accept that a fellow is free to wear a poppy or not wear one according to hus or her own beliefs......instead of making up reasons to justify McClean’s treatment, and that of his family, by thugs at football matches.

And all the faux outrage and feigned indignation and ranting you do about it Zam just makes you look silly.

And it's your problem if you can't see the reasons why McLean is making a fuss about taking a poppy off his shirt, which is a bit different to I'll not wear one. Did you completely miss out 1968-98?. He may feel strongly about an act or acts by the British army, but it has little to do with that.

Sorry, but I have strong opinions about IRA supporters and sympathisers following what happened to a couple of my dad's mates in The Tavern in the Town.

The poppy has been hijacked, it's now lost it's true reason for being worn, which was simply to remember the dead. It's been used by shitheads like McLean for political reasons. Shame on him, and shame on anyone who supports him.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Zambo wrote:
Petingo wrote:
Zambo wrote:

And it's your problem if you can't see the reasons why McLean is making a fuss about taking a poppy off his shirt, which is a bit different to I'll not wear one. Did you completely miss out 1968-98?. He may feel strongly about an act or acts by the British army, but it has little to do with that.

Sorry, but I have strong opinions about IRA supporters and sympathisers following what happened to a couple of my dad's mates in The Tavern in the Town.

The poppy has been hijacked, it's now lost it's true reason for being worn, which was simply to remember the dead. It's been used by shitheads like McLean for political reasons. Shame on him, and shame on anyone who supports him.

Well then you and James have some common ground.

Friends and neighbours of his family were murdered on Bloody Sunday so he would be as entitled as you to hold “strong opinions” about people who support the perpetrators.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

No Pet, only the English the are allowed to have strong opinions.
Build Back More Betterer

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Eaststand wrote:No Pet, only the English the are allowed to have strong opinions.

:)

Very true.

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

Seems like a decent lad from what I’ve seen. A good professional with limited ability when all the talk nowadays writes all decent elite professional footballers off unless they are ‘world beaters.’ He can’t win given the emotive subject. Good luck to him and all the footballers who choose to wear or not wear the poppy.

A far more sensible practice would be for all clubs across the land to lay a wreath before their game which falls closest to Remembrance Sunday. Nobody deserves the grief he and others are getting.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Petingo wrote:
Zambo wrote:
Petingo wrote:
Zambo wrote:

Well then you and James have some common ground.

Friends and neighbours of his family were murdered on Bloody Sunday so he would be as entitled as you to hold “strong opinions” about people who support the perpetrators.

The point that keeps getting missed is not to do with the actual choice of wearing or not wearing a poppy. I'm not going to choose not to wear one because of the IRA campaign of violence. McLean is using the poppy to underpin his political beliefs, which is a disgrace, when it's invention was to remember the dead who gave their lives for freedom. McLean tarnishes that remembrance.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

No, he doesnt. Taken from wikipedia :
The remembrance poppy is an artificial flower that has been used since 1921 to commemorate military personnel who have died in war.
If members of your family have been murdered by military personnel, and in many Irish eyes, were the antagonisers in the situation, which is valid, seeing as their presence is the only reason the IRA ever existed, would YOU wear a poppy commemorating the people who killed the people you loved?

You'd have to be a lunatic or a bitch to do such a thing.
Build Back More Betterer

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

People wear the poppy for their own reasons these days it seems, they even choose a colour. I wear one in rememrance of those who fell during the World wars. The flower worn today is artificial, but there was nothing plastic about the ones which grew in the landscapes of WW1on the Western Front.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Zambo wrote:People wear the poppy for their own reasons these days it seems, they even choose a colour. I wear one in rememrance of those who fell during the World wars. The flower worn today is artificial, but there was nothing plastic about the ones which grew in the landscapes of WW1on the Western Front.

So you wear a poppy for your own reasons, but someone else isnt allowed to not wear one for their own reasons.

Yes.
Build Back More Betterer

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Eaststand wrote:
Zambo wrote:People wear the poppy for their own reasons these days it seems, they even choose a colour. I wear one in rememrance of those who fell during the World wars. The flower worn today is artificial, but there was nothing plastic about the ones which grew in the landscapes of WW1on the Western Front.

So you wear a poppy for your own reasons, but someone else isnt allowed to not wear one for their own reasons.

Yes.

You are free to believe what you want, just as I do. I abhor the reasons I believe that McClean refuses to wear a poppy on his football shirt, when all of his colleagues are happy to do so in true remebrance of the war fallen. McClean supports a terrorist organisation which killed thousands of civilians in this country, and then when he's called out, responds with insults to those who have sussed him out for what he is, and closes nicely with an instagram of one of his heroes speeches.

No agenda there then at all. This is not just about deciding not to wear a poppy or not.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

In his eyes, you support a terrorist organisation.

Its funny, isnt it. Theres different viewpoints. One mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.

Life isnt black and white. Ever.
Build Back More Betterer

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Eaststand wrote:In his eyes, you support a terrorist organisation.

Its funny, isnt it. Theres different viewpoints. One mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.

He doesn't know me, and neither do you, so no one knows what I support, but why should he think I support a terrorist organisation for wearing a poppy? Do you think everyone who wears a poppy supports terrorists?. I've told you why I wear one, now you tell me why you think that means I support terrorists. McCLean openly does. He's a fucking hypocrite. Shows disprespect to the British flag, but is quite happy to live in this country earning huge wage. I don't support terrorists btw, what happened in the Bogside was a disgrace, and the fact that it was covered up for so long stank the country out. Why should that stop me wearing a poppy though?

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Zambo wrote:
Eaststand wrote:In his eyes, you support a terrorist organisation.

He doesn't know me, and neither do you, so no one knows what I support, but why should he think I support a terrorist organisation for wearing a poppy? Do you think everyone who wears a poppy supports terrorists?. I've told you why I wear one, now you tell me why you think that means I support terrorists. McCLean openly does. He's a fucking hypocrite. Shows disprespect to the British flag, but is quite happy to live in this country earning huge wage. I don't support terrorists btw, what happened in the Bogside was a disgrace, and the fact that it was covered up for so long stank the country out. Why should that stop me wearing a poppy though?
Well, you called him a terrorist sympathiser, meaning you think the British army was correct, an organisation a lot of Irish think is a terrorist organisation.

And to be honest no one's being hypocritical when another country has killed your people invades your country, enslaved your people for centuries, not really sure any English person has a leg to stand on when we whine about Irish coming over here and earning money, once we give it back, maybe so.

And I don't see the problem, he's not disrespecting anything, I live in London, so I speak to mostly Irish people, it's the city the Irish built of course, it is incredibly rare to meet a none IRA supporting person. They're fucking heroes. They brought control back to the Irish and did what needed to be done.

I'll tell you what mate, Wikipedia Michael Collins and disappear down that wormhole for an evening and learn about it. Learn about it from a none British press point of view.

My dad was Irish and loved the IRA. My mum was from Hull and didn't. Im the least biased person you could meet on this matter. I wear a poppy in my pub when hardly any customers will everyone respects that. I respect there choice. That's how it works.

True disrespect to the dead is people insisting people should wear something to remember them by. They died, in ww2 definitely for future generations to have that choice.

No one is any better or worse for wearing or not wearing a poppy and no one should ever say otherwise. People died because someone wanted to force his opinions onto someone, and that was a great gift to give shit like this is pissing on their graves.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer