Zambo, you are the ref.

Anything sportlike
Reg

Re: FAO Zambo re Clattenburg

Post by Reg »

Zambo wrote:Mike Jones is the worst ref I've ever seen in the Prem. I'd be hoping he gets injured in the warm up.
So Clatts can take over at the last minute and fuck us over again? :(
Roy IN!!

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Sad as it may sound I'd trust Clattenburg over Jones any day. He was the twat who allowed a goal to stand when the ball was diverted off a beachball at Sunderland. He always looks as though he hasn't got a clue what is going on and he hasn't.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Reg

Post by Reg »

Zambo wrote:Sad as it may sound I'd trust Clattenburg over Jones any day. He was the twat who allowed a goal to stand when the ball was diverted off a beachball at Sunderland. He always looks as though he hasn't got a clue what is going on and he hasn't.
I'll take an incompetent over the devil's spawn any day - at least he might be incompetent in our favour.
Roy IN!!

Zambo

Re: Zambo, you are the ref.

Post by Zambo »

Reg

FAO Zambo. You are the ref...

Post by Reg »

Just been listening to a Palace podcast which mentioned the Benteke penalty shout during Saturday’s game at Huddersfield, which occurred when we were 1-0 up, and could have been a match-changing moment.

At the time, watching live, I was irritated at Benteke for going down so easily.

Then I saw the replays, and realised that it was a blatant foul, with the defender putting his arm round his neck and pulling him.

I don’t think the ref could see this from his position behind the players, and he probably thought there was nothing in it. He obviously didn’t think Benteke had dived either, because he didn’t book him.

Every commentator and pundit has since agreed it was a penalty.

The pull clearly unbalanced Benteke, so if he had played on, he might not have been able to get a shot in, and the referee would never have realised that he had been fouled.

On the other hand, when a player his size goes down in order to draw attention to a foul, then people say he’s being weak or soft, and he doesn’t get the penalty. He also runs the risk of being accused of diving, because he exaggerated the fall.

What, in your opinion, should a player do in these circumstances?
Roy IN!!

Zambo

Re: FAO Zambo. You are the ref...

Post by Zambo »

A foul is a foul Reg, whatever the offended against players does really should be irrelevant. This was clearly a penalty not given, and none of us know why the ref didn't give it. That is why I'm massively behind referees having post match sessions like managers. Players, manager and fans may still not agree with their actions, but at least they will understand why a decision was given.

Loads of factors involved, which shows why it's a tough job and getting tougher. Players have picked up several tricks to con the ref. The big one for me this season, which is rarely spotted, is where a player backs into an opponent and then goes down. We have seen a lot of free kicks given to the team of the player who has instigated the contact, and when you see it first time at normal speed it looks like it's the correct decision.

There is no doubt that players are going down too easily, and this has led to the situation you picked out, and genuine penalties are not being given as a result. Can you blame them, most definitely yes imo. In the old days, when you got whacked by the likes of Harris and Hunter you went down because you had no choice. I remember one game though, it was Chelsea v Manu U when Harris had 2 or 3 goes at scything down best, but he just kept his feet and carried on, and I think he scored.

You just have to strive for honesty, and I would like to see The LMA in sessions with the FA, Premier League, and PGMOL before the start of next season to thrash this problem out which has been blighting the game for far too long.

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Who is the best ref going around Zam? I think Craig Pawson is alright. This interview I've put up here here for comedy purposes because he says "players safety perspective" a few times. :D

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

That is a very tough question mate, because I don' think anyone stands out as being the best. It's a bit like the question asked who are you going to vote for in a GE. You are looking at the least crap.

There are refs who in my opinion shouldn't be anywhere near the Premier League, but the problem is there are no outstanding candidates in the lower three leagues to come through.

The likes of Mike Jones, Lee Mason, Jonathan Moss, and Roger East are woeful for example.

The rest are totally inconsistent. Mike Dean has more decent games than bad ones, but his arrogant approach is irritating. Atkinson, Marriner,
and Oliver come out best imo out of a very current elite group.

Pawson? Somewhere in the middle. Always looks like he's never sure when he makes a decision.

Just my opinion though, others will have a totally different view.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

How much do you think the referee got paid for denying Cardiff three clear penalties yesterday ?
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Royal24s wrote:How much do you think the referee got paid for denying Cardiff three clear penalties yesterday ?

Premier league refs get paid £1150 plus his travelling expenses. However, when they get their annual bank statement, they will note around £70k for being an elite group referee. They are mostly on a retainer of at least £40k

So called top refs like Clattenburg was, could earn up to £100k.

Championships refs around £500 per match, although they now have an elite group two which will include retainer.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

How much did the referee get paid for adding on Fergie time so Everton could steal a draw ?
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:How much did the referee get paid for adding on Fergie time so Everton could steal a draw ?

Believe it or not Jon Moss is on a £35k retainer and £1500 per match, so he's coined around £65k for being shite this season

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Zambo.
Have you seen this article? How does it match your early days?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -decisions

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

VeritasVincit wrote:Zambo.

At local level it definitely got worse over the years. I've seen several refs assaulted either when I've been watching games or assessing. Kicked, punched, had their notebook wrenched off them and ripped up and thrown at them. It didn't happen to me, although I felt uneasy once when reffing a local final, and we were down to 8 v 7 and that was before half time.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Zambo wrote:
VeritasVincit wrote:Zambo.

At local level it definitely got worse over the years. I've seen several refs assaulted either when I've been watching games or assessing. Kicked, punched, had their notebook wrenched off them and ripped up and thrown at them. It didn't happen to me, although I felt uneasy once when reffing a local final, and we were down to 8 v 7 and that was before half time.

Am I right in thinking that seven is the minimum number of players must have on the field, and the match is abandoned if they go down to six?

Another thing...

During the Croatia v England game last night, the ref made a defender retake a free-kick in his own penalty area because the kick didn’t leave the area before another player touched it.

I thought this only applied to goal-kicks. What is the logic with a free-kick, as there’s no minimum distance a free-kick has to travel anywhere else on the pitch?
Roy IN!!