County cricket season 2018

Anything sportlike
Lou Grant

Re: County cricket season 2018

Post by Lou Grant »

But the assertion made was the pitch was fixed so that the game lasted only 2 days. In that case (if true, which it isn't) you would clearly bowl first.

Chelmsford is always at its most helpful early on the first day and gets progressively more docile. It's been like that for years.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Three games in and Leicestershire showing some determination with the bat, Another 300+ score in the first innings.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Lou Grant wrote:But the assertion made was the pitch was fixed so that the game lasted only 2 days. In that case (if true, which it isn't) you would clearly bowl first.

Chelmsford is always at its most helpful early on the first day and gets progressively more docile. It's been like that for years.

He did actually cover that, cant remember what he said about it though. Its in between 1630 and 1700 if you want to hear for yourself and see how much shit he was talking.
Build Back More Betterer

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Eaststand wrote:He did actually cover that, cant remember what he said about it though. Its in between 1630 and 1700 if you want to hear for yourself and see how much shit he was talking.

I would gouge both ears out with a rusty knife before I'd listen to anything with Durham on.

Essex need 238 to win the match - been a fantastic game of county cricket (which could still go either way) and much more memorable than any of the endless IPL matches churned out in India at the moment.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

I dunno mate, IPL is quite exciting, its good to watch. I get very bored of long haul cricket nowadays, and its hard to allocate time to watch any meaningful part of it.
Build Back More Betterer

JW90

Post by JW90 »

A win at last! Three run victory having seen a 100-run advantage whittled away.

Should've had two this week but thankfully the winless run is over.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Essex bowl out Worcs for 182 to win by 32 runs! \:D/
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Another win for The Bears. Hoping for a speedy return to div 1
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Eaststand wrote:I dunno mate, IPL is quite exciting, its good to watch. I get very bored of long haul cricket nowadays, and its hard to allocate time to watch any meaningful part of it.

I think you have to go to 4 and 5 day cricket.

I don't have Sky but I'd struggle watching it on TV.

But the last few times I've been to Championship cricket, I've loved it and come away with a satisfied feeling.

T20 is fun and better than nothing but even when they play 'proper shots' it's still a slogfest with no real jeopardy.

Have always enjoyed the 50 Over stuff as more time than T20 for real momentum shifts both ways.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

May I respectfully disagree - yes, going to the game is great and always to be encouraged, but with live streaming of the games allied to the superb BBC commentary I would say we live in a golden era for enjoying the county game. Much as I'd love to be at Chelmsford, life sees me living many hundreds of miles away and to be able to watch every ball for free via the internet is a godsend. The commentary is mostly akin to being among a crowd of knowledgeable cricket fans and is the complete opposite spectrum to the OTT talkSPORT shouting form of commentary or the TMS style world of ex-pros endlessly boring us with tales of their past exploits.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Lou Grant wrote:May I respectfully disagree - yes, going to the game is great and always to be encouraged, but with live streaming of the games allied to the superb BBC commentary I would say we live in a golden era for enjoying the county game. Much as I'd love to be at Chelmsford, life sees me living many hundreds of miles away and to be able to watch every ball for free via the internet is a godsend. The commentary is mostly akin to being among a crowd of knowledgeable cricket fans and is the complete opposite spectrum to the OTT talkSPORT shouting form of commentary or the TMS style world of ex-pros endlessly boring us with tales of their past exploits.

I love TMS, Lou, but I agree that the local BBC team who cover Essex games are really good. As you say, very knowledgeable and far less emphasis on 'bantz', which is pretty tiresome.
WOKE AND PROUD

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Five Live Drive were advertising live commentary at 5pm of Surrey v Yorkshire- which finished before lunch.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

JW90 wrote:Five Live Drive were advertising live commentary at 5pm of Surrey v Yorkshire- which finished before lunch.

Yeah, they switch to other games once the featured match is over (or if it rains at that game) - but I guess the people that write the plugs don't keep up to date on what is going on.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

subsub wrote:I love TMS, Lou, but I agree that the local BBC team who cover Essex games are really good. As you say, very knowledgeable and far less emphasis on 'bantz', which is pretty tiresome.

Somerset are my favourite, but they are all good. Of course the odd bore like Don Topley turn up more often than I'd like, but the standard across the board is mostly excellent.

BBC County Cricket coverage is the 8th wonder of the world.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Lou Grant wrote:May I respectfully disagree - yes, going to the game is great and always to be encouraged, but with live streaming of the games allied to the superb BBC commentary I would say we live in a golden era for enjoying the county game. Much as I'd love to be at Chelmsford, life sees me living many hundreds of miles away and to be able to watch every ball for free via the internet is a godsend. The commentary is mostly akin to being among a crowd of knowledgeable cricket fans and is the complete opposite spectrum to the OTT talkSPORT shouting form of commentary or the TMS style world of ex-pros endlessly boring us with tales of their past exploits.

Maybe I should have opened that last post with the line that although there are indeed alternative ways to enjoy county cricket these days, there's nothing like being there?