The Horse Racing Thread - Part 2

Anything sportlike
ccreds

Re: The Horse Racing Thread - Part 2

Post by ccreds »

Persian King goes off to the French 2000 Guineas.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

ccreds wrote:Persian King goes off to the French 2000 Guineas.

And Too Darn Hot ain’t running in the English equivalent.

Ten Sovereigns will probably win it for Coolmore.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

sammy

Post by sammy »

Petingo wrote:
ccreds wrote:Persian King goes off to the French 2000 Guineas.

And Too Darn Hot ain’t running in the English equivalent.

Ten Sovereigns will probably win it for Coolmore.

Along with the two mentioned, Quorto also a big loss, last years National stakes winner was ruled out due to a soft tissue injury last month. That's three of last seasons highest rated 2 yo's, four if you include last years Coventry winner Calyx who has been off the track since sustaining an injury shortly after that run.
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

This years Greenham winner Mohaather also ruled out yesterday after being found lame on Friday. Al Hilalee has been supplemented by Godolphin over the weekend.
carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

sammy wrote:This years Greenham winner Mohaather also ruled out yesterday after being found lame on Friday. Al Hilalee has been supplemented by Godolphin over the weekend.

And Ten Sovereigns is very weak in the market.

I am liking Royal Marine, Sam.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

sammy

Post by sammy »

Petingo wrote:
sammy wrote:This years Greenham winner Mohaather also ruled out yesterday after being found lame on Friday. Al Hilalee has been supplemented by Godolphin over the weekend.

And Ten Sovereigns is very weak in the market.

I am liking Royal Marine, Sam.

Looks quite an open affair now, Pet. There's a few you could make a case for, imo.

For all he's been very impressive over 6F as a juvenile the obvious question mark regarding Ten Sovereigns is will he stay the mile. Pedigree wise he's by No Nay Never out of an Exceed And Excel mare Seeking Solace and whilst the Dam won over 10F and was placed in Listed company over 11F, both No Nay Never & Exceed And Excel were seen to be at their best over sprint distances. Also his stride pattern having been recorded peaking at 2.45 strides/second suggests that of a sprinter. Not an exact science of course and we'll find out on the day, there's always the Commonwealth Cup route to go down so not the end of the world by any means should he fail to stay.

Was at the Craven meeting and despite only finishing fourth I though RM showed enough here to take a step forward under more favourable circumstances. Ran way to freely early on before having to come around all but two of the field to challenge, Soumillon not unduly harsh and looked after him on the run in. Couple of concerns, having watched him here and on debut I'd take the view that the way he travels suggests he wouldn't want it too fast, good going should be fine. Also will definitely need a strong pace to help him settle early to been seen to best effect, won't play to his strengths if it turns into a sprint. On the positive side, RM already a G1 winner as a juvenile, will stay the mile and is widely available a 9's, (shorter on my tissue) I can see the attraction.
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

RM to wear hood for Guineas

"He was unlucky in the Craven, when he got boxed in behind a wall of horses. This time he will wear a hood, as he does sometimes at home."

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... ims/378338
carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

sammy wrote:RM to wear hood for Guineas

"He was unlucky in the Craven, when he got boxed in behind a wall of horses. This time he will wear a hood, as he does sometimes at home."

Always very offputting that but it shouldn’t be.

We are very suspicious of horses wearing head gear in this country yet in the States and Australia many champions run in them.

But ol’ Pet cannot get over the prejudice....that is RM off’ve my short list :(

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Klassical Dream confirms his Cheltenham Supreme Novices run with a very impressive win at Punchestown.

Now as low as 5/1 for next year’s Champion Hurdle.

Though to be honest, he looks more like a chaser to me.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Arkle was his target.

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

We've got the Chester May meeting next week. First look at Chester for Sky Sports Racing viewers.

sammy

Post by sammy »

Petingo wrote:
sammy wrote:RM to wear hood for Guineas

Always very offputting that but it shouldn’t be.

We are very suspicious of horses wearing head gear in this country yet in the States and Australia many champions run in them.

But ol’ Pet cannot get over the prejudice....that is RM off’ve my short list :(

Yes, always arouses suspicions that a horse is not genuine when any mention of headgear arises. That's not always the case of course but that inbuilt prejudice (we all do it) can result in assessing the horse from a negative starting point regardless of overall ability in his profile.

As far as the hood goes, it is the most unobtrusive option, the horses view is not restricted and it's designed to muffle the noise of the crowd and the surrounding hurly burly connected with a raceday. Had they elected to use a visor or blinkers then that would point to some underlying concern they have about the horse fully concentrating throughout the race.

The going would be of more concern, imo. Currently good/firm and not much rain forecast, it could be rattling fast on the day.
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

ccreds wrote:We've got the Chester May meeting next week. First look at Chester for Sky Sports Racing viewers.

Looking forward to it, always a good meeting for clues going forward.
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Off to Ascot tomorrow for what was formerly the Sagaro Stakes Raceday now rebranded as Royal Ascot Trials Day. Couple of highlights, the return of Calyx in the Commonwealth Cup Trial Stakes over 6F, looks a decent starting point for last years Coventry winner to get career back on track after a long absence, regardless of result will be stepped up in distance sooner rather than later. Although the sprinting division is not really an area I excel in it's always nice to see the latest Wesley Ward speedball from across the pond. This years offering is Lady Pauline who goes in the opener over 5F, if she takes to the straight track like her half sister Lady Aurelia did then she could be an exciting prospect for the Royal meeting.
carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

My favourite race at Cheltenham this year was the RSA which I think threw up three possible Gold Cup contenders for the next couple of years.

And the third horse home that day, Delta Work, put up a great display in winning at Punchestown today.

sammy

Post by sammy »

carefree