The Horse Racing Thread - Part 2

Anything sportlike
sammy

Re: The Horse Racing Thread - Part 2

Post by sammy »

Sizing John misses rest of season.

“Unfortunately, Sizing John has met with a setback and he will miss the remainder of this season. After routine exercise yesterday, I wasn’t happy with him and our vet came down and examined him. He has confirmed to me that he has met with a setback, which means that he won’t run at Cheltenham or Punchestown.”

https://www.attheraces.com/news/2019/Fe ... the-season
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Native River heading straight to Cheltenham

“We won’t run Native River at Ascot on Saturday. He looked awkward at Kempton going right-handed and we have now taken him there twice. He has won over fences going right-handed, but that was a four-runner race at Exeter and that is a big, galloping track. He is fit and ready to go. It is only a month away from the Gold Cup and we are getting to close to it. He definitely jumps better left-handed and we want him in the best shape for the Gold Cup.”

https://www.attheraces.com/news/2019/Fe ... tive-river
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

The Irish racing authorities had made it known English horses woukd be OK to run in Ireland befor3 the welcome news from the BHA.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

sammy

Post by sammy »

Yep :)

May have forced the BHA's hand to a certain extent.
carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

That’s what I was thinking, Sam.

The Micks weren’t going to take the chance of their major race meeting being placed in jeopardy :lol:
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

sammy

Post by sammy »

:D

Btw, haven't forgot about your poser, Pet. Planning on going to Sandown on Fri & Ascot on Sat, hoping to bump into some of the old regulars so I can put them on the spot :)
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Latest BHA update regarding Series Qualifiers

The British Horseracing Authority has today announced a number of updates specifically in relation to qualifying races for a number of Jump race series in order to make up for lost opportunities.

These take the form of one additional race:

Exeter 22 February

Pertemps Network Handicap Hurdle (Class 2) (Qualifier) (2m 7f)

And two existing races which are now eligible to divide:

Doncaster 20 February

Sky Sports Racing Sky 415 EBF ‘National Hunt’ Novices’ Hurdle (Class 4) (Qualifier) (2m 3½f)

Warwick 22 February

British Stallion Studs EBF Mares’ Standard Open National Hunt Flat Race (Class 5) (Qualifier for the EBF Mares’ NHF Series) (2m)

Further evaluation of the impact of recent events on the race programme will be ongoing in the coming days in order to quantify any need for additional races and/or fixtures

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/pres ... ualifiers/
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Grand National weights announced earlier today.

Trainers views

Gordon Elliott IRE - Alpha des Obeaux 11st 4lb, The Storyteller 11st 3lb, Tiger Roll 11st 1lb, Outlander 11st, Don Poli 10st 13lb, Mala Beach 10st 12lb, Dounikos 10st 10lb, Shattered Love 10st 10lb, A Toi Phil 10st 7lb, Jury Duty 10st 7lb, Monbeg Notorious 10st 6lb, Noble Endeavor 10st 6lb, Blow By Blow 10st 2lb, Folsom Blue 10st , General Principle 10st, Bless The Wings 9st 13lb, Out Sam 9st 10lb, Borice 9st 7lb, Measureofmydreams 9st 7lb, Rogue Angel 9st 7lb, Woods Well 9st 5lb, Ned Stark 8st 12lb

"I'll run as many as I can. I've won it before and it would be nice to win it again. Basically I'll run whatever gets in. If I can get 10 to 15 in, I'll run them all. We look forward to it. Obviously it's a race we target and want to win. It will be very hard for Tiger Roll. He's got a lot more weight this year, but we'll see what happens. He's very good. He'll run in the Boyne Hurdle in Navan this weekend and then go to Cheltenham for the cross-country again. Obviously we have Dounikos and General Principle, who ran well in the trial at Punchestown. They'll be going. We'll try to get them all in because if you're not in, you can't win."

Willie Mullins - Pleasant Company (10st 11lb), Rathvinden (10st 10lb), Total Recall (10st 10lb), Acapella Bourgeois (10st 5lb), Pairofbrowneyes (10st 2lb), Some Neck (10st 2lb), Up For Review (10st 2lb), Livelovelaugh (10st), Polidam (9st 13lb), Isleofhopendreams (9st 12lb)

"I was delighted with Pleasant Company last year (second), but never thought he was going to get there. Maybe he will this year. It's been the main plan for him this year, as it has for a few others. Rathvinden may go for the Bobbyjo Chase at Fairyhouse or the Leinster National at Naas. Those are the two races most of mine will have to go for as there are no other suitable ones. It will probably be Naas for him. Up For Review ran well in the Thyestes after Paul (Townend) took him wide. I hadn't realised how well he ran - it was a fantastic trial. Polidam and Isleofhopendreams might not get in. Livelovelaugh ran well the other day and needs further. I was disappointed with Some Neck the other day, while Pairofbrowneyes still needs to qualify despite having won over two miles and seven and a half furlongs at Gowran - which would be like four miles elsewhere! Total Recall might run too free for a National horse. Acapella Bourgeois could be a nice horse, but has had his problems. If I could get him back he could be anything."

Nigel Twiston-Davies - Bristol De Mai 11st 10lb, Go Conquer 10st 13lb, Blaklion 10st 12lb, Ballyoptic 10st 11lb, Calett Mad 10st 3lb, Ballyhill 9st 13lb, Ballyarthur 9st 10lb, Cogry 9st 10lb, Splash of Ginge 9st 7lb

"I'd love Bristol De Mai to have a go. The Gold Cup is his main objective, but if he comes out of that with flying colours, then why not have a go at the National? Then we've got Blaklion, who was brought down at the first last year. He's now got a more manageable weight, so let's hope for him. Go Conquer did nothing wrong at Doncaster the other day and Ballyoptic is a lovely horse, so we've got a strong team."

Joe Tizzard, son of trainer Colin Tizzard - Elegant Escape (11st 4lb), Sizing Codelco (10st 10lb), Royal Vacation (10st 8lb), The Dutchman (10st 3lb), Ultragold (10st 3lb)

"The owner quite rightly wants to run Elegant Escape in the Cheltenham Gold Cup first, so that's his plan for now, but he ticks a lot of boxes for a Grand National and we'll make a decision after the Gold Cup. I'm not sure Sizing Codelco will make it, we might be looking more at the Scottish National for him. Royal Vacation is a Grade One winner who had a bad season last year, but he's come good again. He's got a quiet chance - if he got into a rhythm he's got a bit of class. The Dutchman has had a setback and might not make it, but this has been the plan for Ultragold as he's got such a great record over the fences. He's our main one off 10st 3lb. He got three-mile-five at Warwick and deserves to run in a Grand National."

Lucinda Russell - One For Arthur (10st 10lb)

"Obviously 10st 10lb is a super weight. Whether the weights will go up or not, we'll have to wait and see. We're happy with him at home and we think we've got his jumping sorted out. He was quite sore in his back and his sacroiliac joint after his last run at Haydock, but he's having plenty of physio and doing plenty of schooling. It doesn't look like he'll be able to run at Haydock on Saturday because of this new vaccination rule. He's only a couple of weeks out. He could go to Kelso on March 2 and then hopefully on to Aintree from there. Obviously the National is the plan, but I don't know if the owners would want to run him if the ground came up good to firm."

Robert Walford - Walk In The Mill (10st)

"In the last few years a mark of 144 would normally get you in, so hopefully it will this year. He's in very good form and I'm looking forward to running him. If the ground came up soft he could go for the big three-mile chase at Kempton (888Sport Chase, February 23). I don't think he'd win that, but it would be a nice prep race. We hope he will run somewhere before Liverpool. I'd prefer to run him over fences if possible, but he is still a novice over hurdles so we've always got that option if we need it."

Gary Moore - Traffic Fluide (10st 10lb)

"I wanted him to be under 11st ideally, so I'm happy with that. I think we'll definitely aim at Aintree now. I've never had a runner in the National before, but he looks like a National horse to me. I'll definitely need to give him a run beforehand as he hasn't run since the start of November. We'll see what happens, but I'll probably give him a run over hurdles somewhere. I'll build some National-type fences at home and pop him over a few. I don't think he'll have a problem as he's quite a clever horse."

Sue Smith - Vintage Clouds (10st)

"It looks like he's on a nice weight, but the big question is if he gets in. The experts seem to think he will do, so we'll just have to see. I'm very pleased with him. There's a possibility he could go for the Grimthorpe at Doncaster, but the ground can sometimes be quite quick at that meeting. If it is quick at Doncaster, he'll go to the (Cheltenham) Festival again."

Harry Fry - American (10st 10lb) and The Last Samuri (10st 6lb)

"The Last Samuri is in good form. We were looking at the Eider at Newcastle, but now the handicapper has dropped him to a mark of 150 we'll probably go for a veterans' chase at Newbury on March 2. Hopefully that will tee him up for another crack at the National, if that's what the owners want to do. He would be our first runner in the National, which would be hugely exciting. Plans are a little bit more up in the air as far as American is concerned. Obviously he needs heavy ground to be at his best. He's entered at Kelso this weekend, but the ground won't be soft enough for him there so we'll look elsewhere. He has a Cheltenham Gold Cup entry, but he'll be on a recovery mission wherever he goes after his last run at Newbury and there are no definite plans for him at this stage."

Warren Greatrex - Missed Approach (10st 1lb)

"I'm happy with the weight and this has been a plan all season. Obviously he won the Kim Muir last year. We ran him in the Becher, he ran very well and we've saved him until the weights came out. He'll either run in the Eider at Newcastle or wait for Kelso in early March. We've been very happy with him. He's got a bit of class and seems to rise to the big occasion. Just to have a runner in the race is amazing and to win it would be out of this world."

Dr Richard Newland - Abolitionist (10st 1lb)

"Hopefully he'll get a run, that's the main thing. He's 59th on the list and that would normally get you in, but it could be cutting it fine. He's ready to run and could have run this weekend, but he can't because of this flu vaccine situation. He'll be entered in the Kim Muir at Cheltenham and there's also the Pertemps Final, but I'd doubt he'll get into that. If he doesn't go to Cheltenham then there's a veterans' chase at Newbury he could go for. He's in very good form and has been trained all season with one day in mind."

Philip Hobbs - Rock The Kasbah (10st 9lb)

"I'm happy with his weight and he's in good form. The plan is to go straight to Aintree and on his best chance he'll go there with a good chance."

Enda Bolger - Auvergnat (10st 8lb)

"His mark looks high enough, but he'd definitely get a run at least, which is good. The cross-country in Cheltenham is on his agenda and that's his number one target. We'll see how he goes in Cheltenham first, but he's a horse that stays well."
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Interesting comments from Elliott earlier today regarding Samcro.

“Touch wood, he’s very good. He’s back in full work. He’ll do a bit of work at the end of this week, and we’ll see where we’re going. But I’m very happy with him.”

Asked if he is therefore not ruling out the possibility of Samcro returning to the Festival, a year after winning the Grade One Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle there, Elliott said:

“Definitely not. We kept him in all the races at Cheltenham. Obviously, he’s in the Champion and still in the Stayers’ Hurdle at Cheltenham. It’s not a definite no-no at the moment — we’ll see how the next couple of weeks go. But if not, we’ve got the Aintree Hurdle and Punchestown. The next 10 days will tell us."

https://www.irishracing.com/cheltenham-news?prid=197821
carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

sammy wrote::D

Btw, haven't forgot about your poser, Pet. Planning on going to Sandown on Fri & Ascot on Sat, hoping to bump into some of the old regulars so I can put them on the spot :)

Good lad, Sammy :D

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/47267969

Disgraceful yobbish behaviour. You'd never get this in a football ground.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

You see, to get more and more trouble at the races. People use it as an excuse to get bladdered so it's no surprise there is trouble , especially in Merseyside
Man U and rangers

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

theleader82 wrote:You see, to get more and more trouble at the races. People use it as an excuse to get bladdered so it's no surprise there is trouble , especially in Merseyside

You know , this is a pleasant enough thread where we discuss the sport of horse racing in a civil and informed fashion,

So keep your gratuitous insults to yourself or if you really feel the need to insult us, take it to Pandy.

Meanwhile I would suggest you take the time to read the link before posting your ill informed nonsense.

Here is a bit you might have missed.

Racing has been on high alert over on-track fighting after incidents at Goodwood, Ascot and Hexham in 2018.

Three tracks which are as far from “Merseyside” as fellow could get.

sammy

Post by sammy »

Great to be back racing 8)

Kalashnikov only had two rivals in the rearranged G2 Kingmakers chase at Sandown on Friday, sent off the 1/4 jolly he was pushed along for most of the trip, making a couple of mistakes before being beaten a long way out. Despite the poor performance connections still aiming him for the Arkle.

"He'll be kept in both Cheltenham races for now, and the JLT is an option, but I don't see any reason to abandon the plan just yet and we'll stick to our guns."

Currently around 16/1 for either Arkle or JLT.
carefree