The Horse Racing Thread - Part 2

Anything sportlike
sammy

Re: The Horse Racing Thread - Part 2

Post by sammy »

Prix Jean Prat G1 6F 211yds
Pinatubo back to winning ways dropped down to 7F. Patiently ridden despite taking a keen hold, good headway from 3F out before weaving his way through, quickened to lead last ½f and ran on well. Didn't have to show improved form to land this, third quick group race in succession will probably see him by pass Sussex Stakes and depending on staying at 7F or back up to 1M then either Prix de la Foret or Prix du Moulin.

carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Barry Geraghty retires

“I’ve fulfilled all my dreams,” said the dual Irish champion jockey. “As a kid growing up, you’re dreaming of Grand Nationals and Gold Cups and Champion Hurdles, so to get the chance to ride in them, let alone win them, was brilliant. I rode great horses, but I rode for great people as well. Jessie, Nicky and JP are probably the three main supporters all the way through.”

https://www.racingpost.com/news/barry-g ... act/441933
carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

sammy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 pm Barry Geraghty retires

“I’ve fulfilled all my dreams,” said the dual Irish champion jockey. “As a kid growing up, you’re dreaming of Grand Nationals and Gold Cups and Champion Hurdles, so to get the chance to ride in them, let alone win them, was brilliant. I rode great horses, but I rode for great people as well. Jessie, Nicky and JP are probably the three main supporters all the way through.”

Good luck to Barry.

Along with Davy Russell, Barry never received the plaudits AP and Ruby did but he is right up at the top of what has been an incredible era for National Hunt jockeys.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

sammy

Post by sammy »

Petingo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:20 am
sammy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 pm Barry Geraghty retires

Good luck to Barry.

Along with Davy Russell, Barry never received the plaudits AP and Ruby did but he is right up at the top of what has been an incredible era for National Hunt jockeys.
+1
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Aiden reveals plans for Love.

“Love doesn't run this weekend. She is perfect. What we are thinking at the moment is that she is probably going to go straight to York for the Yorkshire Oaks, and then on to the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe after that.”

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... lly/442166
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Palace Pier to sidestep Sussex in favour of Prix Jacques le Marois.

Gosden said of his unbeaten three-year-old: "The straight mile at Deauville should play to Palace Pier's strengths. He's come out of Ascot in great shape. It will be his first time against the older brigade and it will be interesting to see how he gets on."

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... ood/442087
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Kamenko likely to be heading for Sussex Stakes

Sheikh Fahad’s racing and bloodstock adviser David Redvers told Nick Luck’s Daily Podcast: “There’s been lively in-house debate and Sheikh Fahad is keen to go with Andrew’s preferred option, which at the moment looks like it will be the Sussex. We need to have a meeting of the two Guineas winners to see which is the better and it looks to me like the Sussex is where we are leaning at the moment. It depends on other factors, such as weather and how the horse is, but at the moment it looks like that is where we are heading. Going to the Sussex gives you more time if you wanted to go to the Juddmonte, which has been Andrew’s target all along."

https://www.attheraces.com/news/2020/Ju ... sex-stakes

Clash of the English/Irish 2000 gns winners along with Mohaather and Sussex is shaping up to be a decent renewal.
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

This Listed event over 5F at Sandown is usually run in May as a trial for RA hopefuls, didn't appear to be the strongest of renewals.

Eye Of Heaven really looked the part on debut when he had some useful sorts in behind him including Windsor Castle & July Stakes winner Tactical. Disappointing 9th when sent off fav for G2 Norfolk at RA with possibly softer going and quick turnaround a factor, no such excuses here sent off 11/10 fav and folded tamely. Didn't settle fully and eased final furlong, Dettori reported that colt ran too free and stopped quickly, hard to know what to make of this performance.

Word on the winner Ubettabelieveit, had run a decent time in Novice event over 5F with above average splits in last 2 furlongs prior to this. Took the step up to Listed grade in his stride, travelled well before smooth headway to lead 1F out, kept on. Landed this with a bit in hand, should stay 6F, likely to progress further and looks ready to step into higher grade company.

carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Novice event over 7F at Sandown yesterday evening.

Knight Salute was well placed here to take advantage of previous race course experience. Landed the spoils at prohibitive odds although was made to work all the way to just hold on to win by a neck. Didn't appear to improve on debut run here but remains with potential as pedigree suggests there may be more to come when tackling further.

carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Runners and riders for Irish Oaks

carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Interesting to see that the winner, Even So, is the first horse Coolmore have sent to be trained by Ger Lyons.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

8 runners left in the King George this Saturday.

6 from Ballydoyle and 2 from Johhny G’s yard.

That is just plain sad.

Oh for the days when the top horses were spread more evenly....when Cecil, Stoute, Harwood, Cumani, Barry Hills and the likes of Bolger, Oxx, the Heads or Fabre in Ireland and France were competing at the very top.

I remember when the King George was the highlight of the racing season in England.

The top 3 year old 12 furlong horses taking on the older champions.

Grundy v Bustino

Mtoto v Reference Point

Gallileo v Fantastic Light

In recent years the race has been reduced to a shadow of its former self, Enable this past two years notwithstanding.

So at least the mare going for three in a row will add spice to this week’s renewal.

sammy

Post by sammy »

Maiden & novice events from the weekend.

Novice event over 7F at Newbury on Sat attracted plenty of runners from big stables. Steadily run resulting in ordinary final time.

The well bred Guru just prevailed by a nose, travelled well, ran green when shaken up 2F out before staying on the lead on line. Nice introduction with jockey not getting seriously stuck in, significant improvement can be expected. Another well bred sort Maximal travelled well throughout to make smooth headway 2F out, quickened nicely, ridden 1F out, just denied. Encouraging debut and should improve significantly for the experience. Legend of Dubai, lovely pedigree and shaped well on debut, just ran out of puff at business end after being held up, improvement to come. Rushmore was sent of fav but didn't look as forward as some of his rivals, slowly into stride and ran green, should improve for debut. Rainbow Fire also slowly into stride and ran green, met some interference 2F out, signs of encouragement here and should improve, pedigree suggests a drop in distance may be beneficial. Barn Owl was well supported but didn't recover from being badly hampered 2F out, better than bare result and looks sure to improve.

carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Not the deepest of Maiden Fillies event over 6F at Newbury on Sat.

Fly Miss Helen was well supported and landed this in impressive fashion on debut. Travelled well, chased leader final furlong before quickening away to lead last 150yds. Didn't beat much here but looks an exciting prospect, although this was over 6F a step up to 7F in something like Sweet Solera or Moyglare should suit.

carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Decent level of form for this Novice event over 6F 192yds at York on Sat.

My Oberon had shaped encouragingly on debut and was well supported to build on that effort here. Took a strong hold, soon up with pace, led 2F out before quickening clear. Far from the finished article, should go on improving.

carefree