Olympics

Anything sportlike
VeritasVincit

Olympics

Post by VeritasVincit »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... c-proposal

I suppose we should have expected this, after all there is the dancing gymnastics and moves to introduce competitive ballroom dancing.
Citius, Altius, Fortius died along time go.

Zambo

Re: Olympics

Post by Zambo »

Plus surfing climbing and skateboarding. If it's competitive and got some physical excertion, then why not. As long as we keep shit like darts and snooker out, it's all good.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

It's a shame squash isn't in the Olympics. It's played in a number of countries around the world and isn't expensive like tennis. St least it's in the commonwealth games
Man U and rangers

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Being Tokyo, surprised female groping on trains isn't a trial sport put on by the hosts.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I'm surprised this 'feats of strength' charade still exists in a so-called 'civilized-age'. Aren't we past all this bullshit now? Oh, that's right, it's sponsored by Nike and various other corporate concerns. Fucking vaguely fascist money-laundering exercise.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

theleader82 wrote:It's a shame squash isn't in the Olympics. It's played in a number of countries around the world and isn't expensive like tennis. St least it's in the commonwealth games

You played squash, Leado?

It is a fun game and I used to play it with over 50s - one guy was a bit chubby and would win pretty much 13-2, 13-4 etc every time - think he ended up just giving me points.

A fantastic sport, although getting leathered by the ba' at the back o' yer heid is fucking painful and takes a good while for the bruise to clear.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

carcinogen wrote:I'm surprised this 'feats of strength' charade still exists in a so-called 'civilized-age'. Aren't we past all this bullshit now? Oh, that's right, it's sponsored by Nike and various other corporate concerns. Fucking vaguely fascist money-laundering exercise.

+1. It’s basically for workshy cunts who can run and jump a little and fancy a career afterwards fannying on 5Dead as Jessica Ennis-Hill does.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

kevin04 wrote:
theleader82 wrote:It's a shame squash isn't in the Olympics. It's played in a number of countries around the world and isn't expensive like tennis. St least it's in the commonwealth games

It is a fun game and I used to play it with over 50s - one guy was a bit chubby and would win pretty much 13-2, 13-4 etc every time - think he ended up just giving me points.

A fantastic sport, although getting leathered by the ba' at the back o' yer heid is fucking painful and takes a good while for the bruise to clear.

Leonard Rossiter excelled at that game and regularly beat opponents many years his junior.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

kevin04 wrote:

I started to play in the late 80s as a youngster. It's was more popular back then with the advent of health clubs and they'd even show it on grandstand. Jonah barrington was a minor celeb from the squad world but jahangir and jansher Khan were the legends of the sport back then. I got in my county squad but I was one of the worst there . I've not played for a few years but I got a racketball set not long ago, fancy getting into that as it's easier to play.
Man U and rangers

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

theleader82 wrote:
kevin04 wrote:

I started to play in the late 80s as a youngster. It's was more popular back then with the advent of health clubs and they'd even show it on grandstand. Jonah barrington was a minor celeb from the squad world but jahangir and jansher Khan were the legends of the sport back then. I got in my county squad but I was one of the worst there . I've not played for a few years but I got a racketball set not long ago, fancy getting into that as it's easier to play.

I played it for a couple of years in the mid eighties when I lived in Reading. The place I worked had a deal with a fitness club and I tried that to see what it was like and found that I quite enjoyed it. Wasn't shit at it but I wasn't troubling any serious players either. I only started going to the place because I liked a sauna and then a drink afterwards. Yep, they had a bar. Ahh the eighties!

Im pretty sure that that was the start of my back problems though, I stopped playing after pulling something and never got back into it afterwards. Of course I weighed a fuck load less than I do now back then.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.