Tommy Smith died

Anything sportlike
Two Crows

Re: Tommy Smith died

Post by Two Crows »

chelseachelsea wrote:
Holden Mcgroyne wrote:"I'm not prejudiced but if a coon moved in next door, I'd move, like most white people would. If my daughter came home with a nigger, I'd go mad. But I'm only being truthful and normal." - Tommy Smith

It was a different time, you cannot compare the 60's/70's to now.

He actually said those things in an interview in 1988. Either way it's no excuse. The difference between now and then is those words are now unlawful as opposed to being simply ignorant and bigoted. He took no account for a teammates feeling's when he said he referred to Howard Gayle as 'White Nigger', and even suggested he was complimenting him. Crazy.
Dieu Le Roi.

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

chelseachelsea wrote:
Holden Mcgroyne wrote:"I'm not prejudiced but if a coon moved in next door, I'd move, like most white people would. If my daughter came home with a nigger, I'd go mad. But I'm only being truthful and normal." - Tommy Smith

Which is utter bollocks of course. "Till Death Us Do Part", the much maligned "Love Thy Neighbour" and "Rising Damp" called these attitudes out for what they were in the 60s and 70s.

Smith would have been seen as a bigoted cunt at the time.

And there are just as many bigoted cunts around now, if not more. That may be due to the fact that the "frank discussion" which was allowable back then has been sublimated.
There's no poem, just prose.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

chelseachelsea wrote:

He was still like that in the 80's/90's.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Ok I was wrong about his personality, and didn't realise what a idiot he was.

But I stand by my comments about him as a footballer, as that was all I saw of him.

Reg

Post by Reg »

chelseachelsea wrote:Ok I was wrong about his personality, and didn't realise what a idiot he was.

But I stand by my comments about him as a footballer, as that was all I saw of him.

I met him and Norman Hunter and Nobby Stiles, when they were doing the speaking circuit as the Hard Men of Football, or some such. (I used to deal with quite a few footballers in a previous job.)

The striking thing about all of them - apart from all hating Hughes, and all having good stories - was how they wanted to distance themselves from people like Vinnie Jones.

They regarded him as a good lad, but primarily a thug, whereas they prided themselves on being good footballers.
Roy IN!!

paolo

Post by paolo »

Some folks, regarding their daughters specifically, don't want them to bring someone home from a different background

tommy voiced that in context

modern day is honour killings and honour beatings where the daughter gets cocked by someone of a different culture, colour or religion

it's still the same
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

lots of parents would probably have a preference for who their children should marry. I imagine the kardashians would not have the partners they do if their father was
Still alive
Man U and rangers

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

He was done for defrauding the DLA.

They took it off him when he took part in a high profile charity game or penalty shootout or sommat.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:
chelseachelsea wrote:

Which is utter bollocks of course. "Till Death Us Do Part", the much maligned "Love Thy Neighbour" and "Rising Damp" called these attitudes out for what they were in the 60s and 70s.

Smith would have been seen as a bigoted cunt at the time.

And there are just as many bigoted cunts around now, if not more. That may be due to the fact that the "frank discussion" which was allowable back then has been sublimated.

Absolutely.

Johnny Speight and Warren Mitchell, through their archetype racist Alf Garnett, did more to isolate racists in England by lampooning them to than a boatload of PC diktats ever did.

Same with the Jacko character in Love Thy Neighbour, played by Jack Smethurst and written by Powell and Driver, I think.

The joke was always on Alf and Jacko.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

The stupid thing is, racists are so thick they worship those programs and don't see the main character they think "tells it like it is" is portrayed as the retard.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer