Cricket World Cup

Anything sportlike
delboy1983

Re: Cricket World Cup

Post by delboy1983 »

Played by the rules,won by the rules,same for both sides.
New Zealand would have been more than delighted to win the same way.
England -world cup winners 2019
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

subsub

Post by subsub »

Two Crows wrote:In the history of any sport there won’t be a closer finish to a World Cup Final. Amazing stuff, considering the drama of the Wimbledon final earlier. Can’t but feel for New Zealand and Federer after contests like those today. Hollywood can make up some great pretend drama, but nothing can replicate live sport.

Congratulations to Ireland's Owen Morgan and his team mates, but I gotta say very hard lines to New Zealand.

Yes, very tough on New Zealand. Great team, and a terrific bunch of blokes. Would have been supporting them all the way had they not been playing England in the final.
WOKE AND PROUD

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Wow, a never to be repeated final and thank fuck for the game that it was on free to air and got the maximum possible audience. It would of been a tragedy if this final had got a small rating behind a paywall. The ECB must be dancing in the street tonight. Finally it’s all about cricket.

I don’t think it’s really a satisfying way to win but they are the rules and everyone knew them before the game started. A fair bit of luck went our way, it’s was definitely meant to be. Those finishes don’t normally go our way.

Champions of the World at last :drinkers:

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Jonathan wrote:Wow, a never to be repeated final and thank fuck for the game that it was on free to air and got the maximum possible audience. It would of been a tragedy if this final had got a small rating behind a paywall. The ECB must be dancing in the street tonight. Finally it’s all about cricket.

Problem being that any momentum will be lost as the Ashes in a few weeks will be back behind a paywall.

A one off free to air game, even an extraordinary one like this, isn't going to grow the game in any sustained way.
A joyless arsehole.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Jonathan wrote:Wow, a never to be repeated final and thank fuck for the game that it was on free to air and got the maximum possible audience. It would of been a tragedy if this final had got a small rating behind a paywall. The ECB must be dancing in the street tonight. Finally it’s all about cricket.

I don’t think it’s really a satisfying way to win but they are the rules and everyone knew them before the game started. A fair bit of luck went our way, it’s was definitely meant to be. Those finishes don’t normally go our way.

Well said, Jonn-o.
We rode our luck enormously in this game, but we hung in there and got the win - we suffered some shocking decisions in the 87 and 92 finals so we were due a bit of luck.

And given the position we were in a couple of weeks ago - when we had to beat India and NZ to be sure of qualification - it's a hell of an achievement. We beat all three other semi-finalists, including NZ twice.

I've waited a very long time for England to win the World Cup, and I'm delighted we've finally done it :D

:partyman:
WOKE AND PROUD

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Over four years England have been excellent. In the three games before today they've been excellent.

Did they deserve to win today? Maybe not. Worthy world champions? Absolutely.

The End

Post by The End »

ToRmAtO wrote:
The End wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:If it wasn't for all the immigrants in the England team, they wouldn't have got very far in the competition.

Stick to your wacky facts, wanker.

LOL, does the truth hurt that much.

Deary me.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

subsub

Post by subsub »

JW90 wrote:Over four years England have been excellent. In the three games before today they've been excellent.

Did they deserve to win today? Maybe not. Worthy world champions? Absolutely.

Spot on, JW :)
WOKE AND PROUD

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

shabbado wrote:

Problem being that any momentum will be lost as the Ashes in a few weeks will be back behind a paywall.

A one off free to air game, even an extraordinary one like this, isn't going to grow the game in any sustained way.

Ashes highlights are on C5 as usual. And, well done the ECB, the 100 ball shite starts next year and supposed to be on the BBC. But that's next year and no need to change T20 format anyway. :roll:
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

The End wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:
The End wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:If it wasn't for all the immigrants in the England team, they wouldn't have got very far in the competition.

Stick to your wacky facts, wanker.

LOL, does the truth hurt that much.

Deary me.

I would have thought better of Torm. :(

Reg

Post by Reg »

black_guardian wrote:Congratulations all England supporters.

:drinkers:

Thank you.

8)
Roy IN!!

Reg

Post by Reg »

Well said. 8)
Roy IN!!

Reg

Post by Reg »

Having said that, I thought New Zealand deserved to win today, and have been led brilliantly by KW throughout the tournament.

They must be gutted.

But England are on balance the best team of the tournament.
Roy IN!!

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

subsub wrote:[...]I've waited a very long time for England to win the World Cup, and I'm delighted we've finally done it :D

:partyman:

The whole of history has. :) :partyman: :drinkers:

Reg

Post by Reg »

I think that’s the first time a team I’ve supported has ever won a major trophy. :)
Roy IN!!