Re: Bird’s World Cup, Euros & WSL

Anything sportlike
tennisman

Re: Bird’s World Cup

Post by tennisman »

Actually, I reckon that the football is quite similar to lots of top Mens football tactically.

The Women are all honed in the fundamentals of possession football with the centre backs and defensive midfielders getting most touches completing endless numbers of triangle moves.

Then come the full backs who, if put under pressure, pass it back, not forward.

If we are lucky, the ball gets hit into the advanced players and maybe, there's a strike on goal, maybe.

I find most Mens football tedious to watch in the extreme and especially on TV - I'm afraid I feel the same about the Women.

Salem

Post by Salem »

kancutlawns wrote:Argentina women are shit though aren’t they? Read on Twitter someone comparing the match to Barca playing Luton. Was it a good match?

Having changed channel i stumbled across the game . When i finally realized i wasn't watching a re-run of the special olympics i thought i'd stick with it . Ironically , it is 37 years to the day the South Americans were defeated in the South Atlantic and we were up against the Argentinians again . It was very much attack v defence , as the Argies weren't very good . Their keeper played a blinder and maybe deserved a clean sheet but to be fair England's goal was well worked .

Hell , i might even give Wednesdays game against the Japs a watch if there's nothing else on . Fucking hate this time of year sports wise . No rugby , football or NFL and the baseball's on BT fucking sports :smt012 . At least there's the cricket world cup and an Ashes series to look forward to :smt004.
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:Falklands VI is on. Why do they have that countdown to kick-off. Is it to wake people from their Candy Crush Bingo games on their phone?

Is it the 10 down to 1 thing? They did it in Russia.

Anyway, the mighty Lionesses roar on the the knock out rounds with a 1-0 victory over the Argies.

Argentina women are shit though aren’t they? Read on Twitter someone comparing the match to Barca playing Luton. Was it a good match?

Only caught the last ten minutes when home so no idea.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Neville is more Brent than the last manager of the England team.

:)

Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kevin04 wrote:Neville is more Brent than the last manager of the England team.

:)

I did notice Neville minor, as ol' Pet calls him, wearing the 2018 M&S special: https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/men/mands-fa-suit
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Clivert

Post by Clivert »

What’s the bloke managing #thepluckyscots called?

From what I’ve seen it’s been a bloody terrible tournament, it’s a completely different game to the men’s game.

Northern Troglodite

Post by Northern Troglodite »

2 wimmen only just retired have popped up in socceraid for hingerlund.......no cunt gave them a ball....ran abt a lot with no effect .....thats reality....not pc shite
Bring on "The Clutcher :)

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Clivert wrote: From what I’ve seen it’s been a bloody terrible tournament, it’s a completely different game to the men’s game.

Of course it’s a different game, same with rugby, cricket and most other sports. What did you expect ? Why is it a terrible tournament ?

I have little interest myself but I’m sure there are many who enjoy it. Ultimately no one is forced to watch it.

Clivert

Post by Clivert »

Jonathan wrote:
Clivert wrote: From what I’ve seen it’s been a bloody terrible tournament, it’s a completely different game to the men’s game.

Of course it’s a different game, same with rugby, cricket and most other sports. What did you expect ? Why is it a terrible tournament ?

I have little interest myself but I’m sure there are many who enjoy it. Ultimately no one is forced to watch it.

‘From what I’ve seen’.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Just saw a clip on the sport news where France got a chance to retake a saved penalty after VAR review. Didn’t realise they were going that far.....

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Jonathan wrote: ... France got a chance to retake a saved penalty after VAR review ...
Refresh my memory; where's the tournament being held? :-)

This will be the problem with VAR; how can we be sure that a similar incident for the other team would have even been looked at? Fans and managers will always find something to moan about, and that will be it.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Singing The Blues

Post by Singing The Blues »

JimmyDee wrote:
Jonathan wrote: ... France got a chance to retake a saved penalty after VAR review ...
Refresh my memory; where's the tournament being held? :-)

This will be the problem with VAR; how can we be sure that a similar incident for the other team would have even been looked at? Fans and managers will always find something to moan about, and that will be it.

Spot on JD. And that's likely how we will see VAR used in the PL next season - selectively and to favour certain teams.
Plus ca change...

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

VAR is a good idea turning in to a monster. Last night exposing it further. There is no consistency in it at the moment, and it all seems to be at the referee's discretion of what is checked or given. Would Nigeria been given a penalty in similar circumstances, and would they be allowed to take it again if the goalkeeper was half an inch off the line?

Scotland had a legitimate penalty claim in their game in Japan, legitimate if we are including ball to hand now as the rules, yet the referee ignored it, didn't review it at all and considering Japan received a penalty in the first half just makes it all too inconsistent.

I'm beginning to think that there should be a compromise on VAR. Each team has one VAR call/opportunity to use in each half like other sports have. That way you are not at the discretion of a dodgy ref. It will make a mockery of the game, but it already is going down that road with the way VAR is set up, and it does seem that there is no turning back.

On the new rules - player's going off at the nearest exit is a good rule though.

As for the WWC ; that result last night incredibly harsh on Nigeria is potentially good for Scotland. Scotland still need to win tomorrow and that will be a tough ask considering how decent and disciplined Argentina look. I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina beat us and grab a second round spot though.

Four of the six best 3rd place teams to through. Not sure if its a good thing or not, similar to Euro 2016, you will have teams who win one game or even draw all 3 going through ; but it does add excitement to the last group games. As often in the WC/Champions League/Euros, you'll have the top already through with 6pts.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Can Scotland do what no other Scottish team has done? And get in to the last sixteen of a World Cup?

They need to beat Argentina and there's a good chance they will be through - depending on other results : but something like Cameroon or NZ beat each other by 3 clear goals ; or Chile don't beat Thailand by 4 or more.

Then again, Argentina are in a better position than Scotland - they have 1 point - and will fancy their chances of a win, and four points if they beat us, will definitely see them through.

So I expect a cagey start from both sides. This Scotland team has kept a clean sheet in 2 of 15 games, so Scotland can't afford to sit back or be cautious at the start as they ship goals.

Have a feeling it'll be like this tonight

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Scotland can consider themselves lucky that the Argie keeper is the same height as Del

Oh wait...it's the Scottish keeper that's the same height as Del.

Any relation Del?
A joyless arsehole.