Re: Bird’s World Cup, Euros & WSL

Anything sportlike
delboy1983

Re: Bird’s World Cup

Post by delboy1983 »

shabbado wrote:Scotland can consider themselves lucky that the Argie keeper is the same height as Del

Oh wait...it's the Scottish keeper that's the same height as Del.

Any relation Del?

Cheeky Barsteward Shab :)
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Reg

Post by Reg »

Jonathan wrote:
Clivert wrote: From what I’ve seen it’s been a bloody terrible tournament, it’s a completely different game to the men’s game.

Of course it’s a different game, same with rugby, cricket and most other sports. What did you expect ? Why is it a terrible tournament ?

I have little interest myself but I’m sure there are many who enjoy it. Ultimately no one is forced to watch it.

Watched a bit of it.

Not bad really, it's slower than the men's game, but not all that slow - like men's football in the Seventies and Eighties.

I'm not that interested in it, but I don't get the hate at all. :?
Roy IN!!

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Only Scotland could lose a 3 goal lead and crash out
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Reg

Post by Reg »

delboy1983 wrote:
shabbado wrote:Scotland can consider themselves lucky that the Argie keeper is the same height as Del

Oh wait...it's the Scottish keeper that's the same height as Del.

Any relation Del?

Cheeky Barsteward Shab :)

Stand tall, Derek.
Roy IN!!

Clivert

Post by Clivert »

delboy1983 wrote:Only Scotland could lose a 3 goal lead and crash out

They’ve out-Scotland the men’s team there!

Unbelievable that!

#ThePluckyScots

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Done by VAR. Going to be ridiculously hard for a goalie to save a pen.

Clivert

Post by Clivert »

Reg wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Clivert wrote: From what I’ve seen it’s been a bloody terrible tournament, it’s a completely different game to the men’s game.

Of course it’s a different game, same with rugby, cricket and most other sports. What did you expect ? Why is it a terrible tournament ?

I have little interest myself but I’m sure there are many who enjoy it. Ultimately no one is forced to watch it.

Watched a bit of it.

Not bad really, it's slower than the men's game, but not all that slow - like men's football in the Seventies and Eighties.

I'm not that interested in it, but I don't get the hate at all. :?

England played much better tonight against a Japan team who had a very good goalkeeper.

The ending of the Scotland game was brilliant.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Jonathan wrote:Done by VAR. Going to be ridiculously hard for a goalie to save a pen.

They've got to stand behind the line to move forward in future. She has no excuses.

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

I didn't watch the Scotland game and I'm not bothered by the result but VAR is going to kill football as we've known and loved it.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

JW90 wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Done by VAR. Going to be ridiculously hard for a goalie to save a pen.

They've got to stand behind the line to move forward in future. She has no excuses.

No excuse of course but I can’t see there being many saves next season.

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

I have a suspicious feeling that VAR will not be fairly applied when it's implemented for every game, as it should be if they are insisting we have to have it. Which we don't as it's a shite system and I'd rather have the match referee or linesmen making the decisions without it.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Very scotchish
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

The most Scottish of all Scottish ways of fucking things up.

3-0 up with 16 minutes left. Never mind VAR, but how do you throw that away? No subs until the 80th minute either when it was clear a few were tiring.

The referee was utterly hopeless though. Argentina took a free kick when a substitution was being made and after 12 minutes of drama between the penalty/save and then re-taken/scored, she then blows the whistle right after it!

Scotland for qualifying alone was good going and there's a decent side there. Some poor management decisions though, and of course some sloppy defending - aimlessly putting themselves under pressure by slack passes too regular an arrogance- and even at 3-1 you could see some were tiring and still no subs used to break up the play.

VAR has to go, or if it stays, we need robots as referees. The re-take of the penalty/ you can watch the stills and highlights of the keeper til the next time Scotland qualify for a major tournaments and still not come to a conclusive decision. I thought VAR was meant to be for clear-cut moments that the referee missed? If you have to watch a clip 50 times at different speeds/angles, then surely you just go with the referee's initial in-action decision - albeit if it was wrong/right?

Goalkeepers will move, even if its just a fraction, before a penalty is taken. If we are to re-take penalties with VAR, then the game's a bogey. Nigeria were robbed on Monday thanks to this as well. You are at the discretion of a shite ref with VAR, so its too inconsistent to be used. Good luck EPL next season. It's not a bad idea, but if its to be anything like the way its been used in this tournament then its going to ruin football. And you'll get the issues of the bigger teams getting the rub of the VAR that smaller teams might not have e.g would Nigeria have got a penalty and the ability to retake it again on Monday against the sold-out, hosts, France?

Still, I don't want to be harsh on the girls , equality and all that, and this is their first WC, but they utterly chucked that away. Not sure about some of the management of the side either, but I can't really run my mouth (well, suppose I am a bit..oops) when I've seen about a minuscule amount of women's football and these players involved.

There's a side there. They leak goals though - 2 clean sheets in 16 games. Some very good players in the likes of Weir, Cuthbert, Emslie, Little, Alexander and I believe we are hosting the U19 Euros in July - Perth, Stirling, Glasgow and Paisley the venues - so get another peak to see if there's any talent coming through.

Back-to-back qualification for the girls is a massive achievement, but it'll be a bittersweet return home to Scotland for many of the lassies. 2-1 losses to Japan and England - 3rd and 7th in the world - look good on paper, but both first halves they started very poor and whilst they ended well ; they could have got something from both games on another day. Still, hopefully they can move on now and have a good qualifying campaign for the Euros in England in 2021.

Anyhoos, roll on tomorrow and more WWC.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Reg

Post by Reg »

kevin04 wrote: 3-0 up with 16 minutes left. Never mind VAR, but how do you throw that away?

:-k

Roy IN!!

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Reg wrote:
kevin04 wrote: 3-0 up with 16 minutes left. Never mind VAR, but how do you throw that away?

:-k

:D oh yeah!

Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.