Yes
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: Wimbledon 2019...

Post by Carlos J »

Poor Jojo, being patronised by the white man for being shit:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/tennis/9 ... wimbledon/

She's a professorial competitior who did her best today. No further questions. A disgrace to her nations. Aussies, you can have her back with her whining.:roll:
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

Carlos J wrote:Poor Jojo, being patronised by the white man for being shit:

She's a professorial competitior who did her best today. No further questions. A disgrace to her nations. Aussies, you can have her back with her whining.:roll:

I'm sure she did do her best.
But I thought the journo was perfectly entitled to ask those questions – she now has a track record for losing big games she should be winning. Perhaps 10 minutes after the defeat wasn't the time to ask it, but she should be prepared for questions like that. Andy Murray and Colin Montgomerie got them all the time.
WOKE AND PROUD

Singing The Blues

Post by Singing The Blues »

subsub wrote:

But I thought the journo was perfectly entitled to ask those questions – she now has a track record for losing big games she should be winning. Perhaps 10 minutes after the defeat wasn't the time to ask it, but she should be prepared for questions like that. Andy Murray and Colin Montgomerie got them all the time.

I think it was the way that he asked the question rather than the content of the question. Definitely felt very patronising to me so have sympathy with JoKo's reaction, especially as she was doubtless feeling very emotional so soon after the loss.

Maybe she did choke but that can happen in sport at any level.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Singing The Blues wrote:
subsub wrote:

I think it was the way that he asked the question rather than the content of the question. Definitely felt very patronising to me so have sympathy with JoKo's reaction, especially as she was doubtless feeling very emotional so soon after the loss.

Don't remember the same outcry when exactly the same questions were levelled at Murray year after year.
Hang on: "JoKo"??? :shock:
WOKE AND PROUD

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Anyone starting to appreciate Andy Murray yet.!!
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

delboy1983 wrote:Anyone starting to appreciate Andy Murray yet.!!

I do, British interest in the tournament continues past Tuesday. Serena is our girl now. She played a blinder yesterday and even
outshone Andy .
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Bloomin' Yank ,, send her home and take that dour Scot with you.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Singing The Blues wrote:
subsub wrote:

Choking can indeed happen all the time and take many forms. I have experienced it - mostly in cricket when batting but also in tennis and within teams in football - one Cup S/F always comes to mind. When it has happened, it's a mysterious experience.

But I think with JoKo that it was more a case of her game plan and the limitations in her game being exposed by one of the most difficult and canny opponents out there.

Barbora's sliced service returns back to the centre of the court near the baseline (she achieved a 91% success rate - amazing) and brilliant net play really phased Jo.

In addition, I think BS's defensive play too, getting every ball back, often without pace did for Jo.

But Jo has had a very good year which is only half way through and with the help of her new coach, she has started to make adjustments to her game.

At her age and stage, these will come slowly but there is a commitment to make the incremental adjustments needed to keep her going up in the rankings where she started the year at 37, drifted down to 47 but is back up now at 18 and maybe higher when the next list comes out.

Her YTD prize money bumped up after reaching a few semi/finals and finals is at $1.2m and there will be another £250k to be added after her Q/F appearance at Wimbledon.

I am not a fan, in any sport other than cycling, of the post match press conference as the players are so media trained that they rarely say anything of note.

It's not surprising really, as these players are in an extremely competitive and commercial environment and someone like Jo would be daft to start dissecting her play and her strengths and weaknesses in a public domain. It's bad enough that her poor 2nd set was seen by everyone. The word can go around the locker room and amongst the coaches very quickly on tour about any perceived weaknesses.

It's easy to say now but maybe she should have held her nerve with the stock answers when the journo started throwing the stats at her and then asking if she wanted to improve and win a Slam.

For someone as committed as Jo, that's like asking her if she intends to keep breathing in order to live a bit more.

I agree that holding the press conferences so soon after the matches is a nasty aspect of tour operations. It's probably just about okay for the winners but for the losers, it can turn into a bit of a kangaroo court and they are too raw for that.

I actually thought Jo was very composed but she should have trotted out the usual replies not start getting into a row with the guy - Easy for me to say.

Anyway, 24 hours on and the dust has settled, the tournament has moved on and I imagine so has Jo - these pros have to be resilient as few actually win Slams, some don't even achieve tournament wins (although Jo has) and despite so many people seeming to appraise her only through the prism of winning a Grand Slam, that prize is achieved by very few. In the meantime, they have to get on with the week to week grind of the circuit and that is what she will be doing along with the rest of them.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm glad Federer got through, mainly because how he plays the game.

He doesn't time waste by bouncing the ball 20 times before he serves, he doesn't use the backhand two handed like a girl, he doesn't touch numerous parts of his anatomy and pull his pants out of his arse crack, and he doesn't blame anyone but himself when he fucks up. It's easy to see why he's popular, compared to other players who crave acceptance but will never get it because they don't know how.

However, he will be defeated in the next round.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Poor Andy :(
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I think federer can beat nadal in the semi but he will have to serve well. Having watched Djokovic today he is the man to beat though. He has the best defence of any player
Man U and rangers

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Zambo wrote:I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm glad Federer got through, mainly because how he plays the game.

Fed is a bit of a ponce, but I completely agree. His tennis skill is sublime. I fucking hate Rafa and all his faffing about before he serves, he's an arrogant prick who is a total cunt when he loses.

One thing that grinds my gears are all the fucking hangers-on in the box who shout and fist-pump all the time. It's all affectation. It's bollocks. Fuck off.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Serena will overpower Halep in the final. A non contest as usual
Man U and rangers

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

carcinogen wrote:
Zambo wrote:I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm glad Federer got through, mainly because how he plays the game.

Fed is a bit of a ponce, but I completely agree. His tennis skill is sublime. I fucking hate Rafa and all his faffing about before he serves, he's an arrogant prick who is a total cunt when he loses.

One thing that grinds my gears are all the fucking hangers-on in the box who shout and fist-pump all the time. It's all affectation. It's bollocks. Fuck off.

+1