Arise Sir Geoffrey

Anything sportlike
JimmyDee

Re: Arise Sir Geoffrey

Post by JimmyDee »

At least he's been given a knighthood long after his retirement from playing, thus allowing his career to be looked at as a whole.
It has to be said though that, to paraphrase Gary Player, the longer he's been retired the better he was.
Best vignette for me was when he ran Derek Randall out at Trent Bridge to a storm of booing... but scored a century and left to resounding cheers :-) His hundredth hundred, I dimly recall.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Zambo wrote:Wanker. Obsessed with only himself. Probably the most selfish player ever to pick up the lump of willow. 48000 first class runs most of which took him an age to score. Many fell asleep while he was at the crease.

You can't take away the acomplishment, it takes a mammoth amount of conentration to score like he did, but entertainment value was usually zilch, and that is what spectators of all sports pay their hard earned for.

I like Geoffrey all right.

But for the life of me I don’t see why he is so revered by cricket fans for his actual play.

From what I recall he was quite boring to watch.

And he refused to play for England for a while in the mid 70s.

In doing so he chickened out of the Lillee and Thompson Ashes tour in 1975......that series was no place for pussies.

A I say, I quite like the guy.....but he has down nowt in my eyes to warrant a knighthood.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote:
Vespa wrote:
subsub wrote:
Vespa wrote:Hero

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... -case.html

Miss Moore admitted to a friend that she had slipped on a marble floor and hit her head, causing the injury she later claimed was caused by Boycott.

Boycott’s solicitor, meanwhile, has described being contacted by a representative of Mrs Moore who suggested that if Boycott was prepared to pay her off, she would drop the allegation. Asked how much money she would want, her lawyer implied that Boycott would need to match offers of £150,000 she had had to sell her story to a newspaper. Boycott refused, saying he “considered it to be blackmail”.

In a separate conversation, documented in court papers, a barrister acting for Ms Moore demanded £1 million in return for her silence.

He was convicted, appealed and the conviction was upheld.

I'm aware of that.
But there is compelling evidence to suggest that it's a load of old horseshit, too.
Miscarriages of justice happen – and it looks likely to have happened here.

Boycott was found guilty of assault, he failed in an attempt to clear his name. He has also demonstrated that he is a racist, and I find myself amazed given your usual stance on racists, that you are defending him. If someone said anything racist about Lewis Hamilton, you would be all over it like a rash.

#hypocrite
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote:
subsub wrote:
Vespa wrote:
subsub wrote:

Miss Moore admitted to a friend that she had slipped on a marble floor and hit her head, causing the injury she later claimed was caused by Boycott.

Boycott’s solicitor, meanwhile, has described being contacted by a representative of Mrs Moore who suggested that if Boycott was prepared to pay her off, she would drop the allegation. Asked how much money she would want, her lawyer implied that Boycott would need to match offers of £150,000 she had had to sell her story to a newspaper. Boycott refused, saying he “considered it to be blackmail”.

In a separate conversation, documented in court papers, a barrister acting for Ms Moore demanded £1 million in return for her silence.

I'm aware of that.
But there is compelling evidence to suggest that it's a load of old horseshit, too.

Boycott was found guilty of assault, he failed in an attempt to clear his name. He has also demonstrated that he is a racist, and I find myself amazed given your usual stance on racists, that you are defending him. If someone said anything racist about Lewis Hamilton, you would be all over it like a rash.

#hypocrite

Ah, poor Zambo's lashing out again, as he always does when those nasty people gang up on him for his piss-poor choice of newspaper.
But we'll overlook that.

I don't condone Boycott's 'blacking-up' comment at all – that was a highly offensive, stupid thing to say.
But there is substantial evidence to suggest that his ex-GF's claims were dubious, and that she was out to get as much money from him as possible.
You (and others) were deeply critical of Ben Stokes even after he was cleared, so you can't have it both ways – you can't hide behind the law when it suits you.
WOKE AND PROUD

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

I am sure that some teammate was once sent out to bat with instructions to run Boycott out as there was a need to get runs more quickly.
Can anyone remember the details.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

subsub wrote:
Vespa wrote:
subsub wrote:

I'm aware of that.

Compelling evidence?

Hearsay from a woman who admits she's fallen out with the victim and medical testimony from someone who has neither examined the victim or reviewed her medical files.

Punchy is also now saying she wanted £1 million, inflation I guess.

That's conjecture, not evidence.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Vespa wrote:
subsub wrote:
Vespa wrote:
subsub wrote:

I'm aware of that.

Compelling evidence?

Hearsay from a woman who admits she's fallen out with the victim and medical testimony from someone who has neither examined the victim or reviewed her medical files.

Punchy is also now saying she wanted £1 million, inflation I guess.

That's conjecture, not evidence.

We'll agree to disagree, Vespa.
It was seen as serious enough for two broadsheet newspapers to print the story.
I think on the balance of probabilities, he didn't assault her, but I wasn't there, and nor were you.
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:
subsub wrote:
Vespa wrote:
subsub wrote:

I'm aware of that.

#hypocrite

Ah, poor Zambo's lashing out again, as he always does when those nasty people gang up on him for his piss-poor choice of newspaper.
But we'll overlook that.

I don't condone Boycott's 'blacking-up' comment at all – that was a highly offensive, stupid thing to say.
But there is substantial evidence to suggest that his ex-GF's claims were dubious, and that she was out to get as much money from him as possible.
You (and others) were deeply critical of Ben Stokes even after he was cleared, so you can't have it both ways – you can't hide behind the law when it suits you.

You hero worship successful sports people unconditionally. Hamilton is a cunt, and as soon as someone says that, out come the accusations of racism. With Boycott, who is a racist and a woman beater (according to this country's law) you ignore it and congratulate him. Anyone who shows racist behaviour and breaks the law shouldn't be anywhere near a knighthood,
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote:You hero worship successful sports people unconditionally. Hamilton is a cunt, and as soon as someone says that, out come the accusations of racism. With Boycott, who is a racist and a woman beater (according to this country's law) you ignore it and congratulate him. Anyone who shows racist behaviour and breaks the law shouldn't be anywhere near a knighthood,

I'm still waiting for anyone on here to give me some genuine reasons why Hamilton is a 'cunt'.
Having his ears pierced and wearing loud clothes doesn't count, I'm afraid.
I don't 'unconditionally worship' successful sportspeople, by the way, but thanks for the totally unfounded comment.
WOKE AND PROUD

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Well deserved but his biggest crime for me is being a Yorkshireman who supports Man Utd. Criminal.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Salem

Post by Salem »

Finally , Sir 'Sir' Geoffrey .

'Bout fucking time :partyman: 8)
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

Reg

Post by Reg »

VeritasVincit wrote:I am sure that some teammate was once sent out to bat with instructions to run Boycott out as there was a need to get runs more quickly.
Can anyone remember the details.

Botham ran him out against New Zealand, and called him a cunt too.
Roy IN!!

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

I still think he deserves the Knighthood, Mrs Moore reputation has suffered far more than Geoffrey's in the last 25 years...….

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Declining to represent your country when called upon and instead gathering together a bunch of rebels to go and prop up apartheid South Africa for cash, seems the very opposite behaviour to that which you'd expect from a knight of the realm. :?
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Oh I don't know
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN