Zambo, you are the ref.

Anything sportlike
Zambo

Re: Zambo, you are the ref.

Post by Zambo »

VeritasVincit wrote:Is Marriner supposed to a top-notch referee?

Has been in the select group for 13 years, 8 years on the FIFA list, so very experienced. One of our best, but unfortunately as they are all of a poor standard, it means jack.

At the endof the day, VAR is being introduced because referees are of a poor standard. Blame the PGMOL, who have sat ontheir arses, and as a result there is complacency, without any real accountability.

They turn in shite performances week in week out, overlooking the basics as well as getting match changing decisions wrong.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Thanks.
I was watching hiim yesterday and he seemed somewhat inconsiistent with his punishment of fouls.
Particularly when he seemed to ignore the severity of a rake down the calf and then admonish the victim who was justifyably annoyed!

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

VeritasVincit wrote:Thanks.
I was watching hiim yesterday and he seemed somewhat inconsiistent with his punishment of fouls.
Particularly when he seemed to ignore the severity of a rake down the calf and then admonish the victim who was justifyably annoyed!

Shelvey's tackle on Pogba was one of the clearest red cards of the season, and the latest excuse that the refs are suffering Xmas fatigue is laughable

Reg

Post by Reg »

Zambo, as a follow-up to Ghost’s question...

Who, in your opinion, are the hardest referees at the elite level, if it ever became necessary to break up a mass brawl, or chin a couple of players to teach them a lesson?
Roy IN!!

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Reg wrote:Zambo, as a follow-up to Ghost’s question...

Who, in your opinion, are the hardest referees at the elite level, if it ever became necessary to break up a mass brawl, or chin a couple of players to teach them a lesson?

They are all pussies, can't think of any. Closest probably Roger East or Mike Dean.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Zambo; A question that occurred after seeing a clip from a match.
A player is substituted, the board has gone up and he is walking towards the touchline.
As he passes the referee, still on the field of play, he gives him an offensive verbal broadside.
What action should the referee take?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

VeritasVincit wrote:Zambo; A question that occurred after seeing a clip from a match.
A player is substituted, the board has gone up and he is walking towards the touchline.
As he passes the referee, still on the field of play, he gives him an offensive verbal broadside.
What action should the referee take?

Red card (foul and abusive language). Subsitution is cancelled unless the team choose to replace another player.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Zambo wrote:

They are all pussies, can't think of any. Closest probably Roger East or Mike Dean.

Has the time come to arm our refs?
Roy IN!!

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Reg wrote:
Zambo wrote:

No disarm them. They can take those silly foam spray cans of them for a start.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

As a referee, how do you explain why Cardiff City always get unfair penalties given against them and yet the never get a penalty when they get mown down by some cynical and brutal defender who can't cope with their flowing attack ?
Also, why does Harry Arter get booked in every game ?
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Reg

Post by Reg »

Zambo wrote:
Reg wrote:
Zambo wrote:

No disarm them. They can take those silly foam spray cans of them for a start.

:)
Roy IN!!

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Look at this load of crap coming in next season.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... c-16017898

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

This is me being nosey.
What leagues did you ref in and what was the highest profile game that you were in charge of?
My 'claim to fame' is Lancashire Amateur League, Eccles and District League and a few on the line in the Manchester League, so many, many levels and classes below you.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

VeritasVincit wrote:This is me being nosey.
What leagues did you ref in and what was the highest profile game that you were in charge of?
My 'claim to fame' is Lancashire Amateur League, Eccles and District League and a few on the line in the Manchester League, so many, many levels and classes below you.

Started of in the local leagues in Hampshire and West Sussex a few years after I moved down South from Birmingham. Used to play for Sutton Coldfield Town in Brum and AFC Totton and Fareham Town down here, but picked up a knee injury, so turned to reffing.

It's all changed now, it goes up from level 10 to the select group, in my day it was class 3, 2 and then 1, and once you got to 1 you'd really only started, but it meant you could ref premier and senior football at local level, and the season after that you were appointed to the county league, in my case Hampshire. Any advancement from that was based on club and assessors marks. Next step up was lining on the Wessex League which was a feeder to the Southern League (now called the Evo-Stik League South), then Premier div. That it turn feeds the National League South, then The National League.

When you consider you have to go through the assistant route once you've got to county level you realise that there is a mountain to climb to reach the top. I'd loved to have done it, and you have to start really young to give yourself a chance, but I was happy to ref on the Wessex League and line on the Southern, which I think in those days was called the Beezer Homes League.

Top matches? I reffed the Portsmouth Senior Cup Final twice at Fratton Park and the Hampshire Senior Cup Final once at The Dell. Had some good pre-season games as well. Pompey v Arsenal Pompey v Botafogo, Pompey v Real Sociedad, Gosport v Aston Villa etc. Was appointed to quite a few 4th official appointments at Fratton Southampton and Bournemouth before they changed it to refs at same level as appointed official

Was also refs course examiner, mentor and FA registered assessor. All in all 27 years, had some great times and met some great people.

Thanks for asking, it's triggered some fond memories

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Zambo wrote:
VeritasVincit wrote:This is me being nosey.

Started of in the local leagues in Hampshire and West Sussex a few years after I moved down South from Birmingham. Used to play for Sutton Coldfield Town in Brum and AFC Totton and Fareham Town down here, but picked up a knee injury, so turned to reffing.

It's all changed now, it goes up from level 10 to the select group, in my day it was class 3, 2 and then 1, and once you got to 1 you'd really only started, but it meant you could ref premier and senior football at local level, and the season after that you were appointed to the county league, in my case Hampshire. Any advancement from that was based on club and assessors marks. Next step up was lining on the Wessex League which was a feeder to the Southern League (now called the Evo-Stik League South), then Premier div. That it turn feeds the National League South, then The National League.

When you consider you have to go through the assistant route once you've got to county level you realise that there is a mountain to climb to reach the top. I'd loved to have done it, and you have to start really young to give yourself a chance, but I was happy to ref on the Wessex League and line on the Southern, which I think in those days was called the Beezer Homes League.

Top matches? I reffed the Portsmouth Senior Cup Final twice at Fratton Park and the Hampshire Senior Cup Final once at The Dell. Had some good pre-season games as well. Pompey v Arsenal Pompey v Botafogo, Pompey v Real Sociedad, Gosport v Aston Villa etc. Was appointed to quite a few 4th official appointments at Fratton Southampton and Bournemouth before they changed it to refs at same level as appointed official

Was also refs course examiner, mentor and FA registered assessor. All in all 27 years, had some great times and met some great people.

Thanks for asking, it's triggered some fond memories

It does look like a long hard road to the top.
Does it help if you have a father already high up the list? I suspect you know who I am referring to.
I had a work colleage who did local refereeing, but just that. When i asked him how someone we both knew got onto the Division 1 [as it was then] list when still young, he simply said, "He knows people".