Football this season

Anything sportlike
Petingo

Re: Football this season

Post by Petingo »

No way this season is being completed.

I am actually worried that next season won’t occur either.

They need to make a quick decision to null this season to stop the uncertainty and allow clubs to start making plans for next season, if we actually have one.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

kancutlawns wrote:How will they? You realise that training grounds are closing down don’t you? Three months without match practice, people dying , the logistical minefield with each side playing ten matches in a very tight window. And we haven’t reached the peak of the virus either. This is forecast to happen in err June. Blimey, a lot of people think this is like playing FIFA 2020.

Sorry old friend but cunts like JWOTS think it’s possible to which I think he’s having a fucking laugh.

Another problem with the June/July scenario is contracts.

Football contracts ten to expire on June 30th so dozens of EPL and EFL players will be out of contract on July 1st.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Petingo wrote:No way this season is being completed.

They need to make a quick decision to null this season to stop the uncertainty and allow clubs to start making plans for next season, if we actually have one.
I agree. It’s better to write one season off rather than risk two.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

They could crop the Europa/Champions League and cut out all those silly qualifying rounds .
If teams from the Faroes and Gibraltar miss out , so be it.
How can Gibraltar have a league, it is just a little rock in the water smaller than the Isle of Wight.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:They could crop the Europa/Champions League and cut out all those silly qualifying rounds .
If teams from the Faroes and Gibraltar miss out , so be it.
How can Gibraltar have a league, it is just a little rock in the water smaller than the Isle of Wight.

Don’t worry Alc, perhaps they can schedule in two Club World Championships per year to cover the loss of football. Can’t think of anything better to see Emptihad like football involving teams from Auckland and tiny Gulf Emirates.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Royal24s wrote:Personally I'd say behind closed doors with tv feeds, but I think they'll just declare the season null and void.
That'll be very unfair on teams like Leeds and others who'll lose out, but a lucky break for those who'd have gone down.

I don't think anyone will be successfully sueing anyone either, but now you mention it maybe I should start a class action to get my sky subscription back because they haven't delivered what they promised - any takers ?

I did read the it's possible to suspend a Sky Sports subscription until everything starts again.
But have you tried getting in touch with Sky to do that.
First you have to find a phone number, from the web-site, where they hide them well. Then you'll be hanging on for literally hours before you get an answer.
I have sent an e-mail to their complaints department, but i don't expect any joy from that.

subsub

Post by subsub »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... son-finish

At a conference call scheduled for 10.30am on Thursday representatives of all 20 Premier League clubs are expected to restate a determination to get the current season finished if at all possible, ideally by 30 June. That extended date has been made possible by Uefa’s decision to postpone this summer’s European Championship until 2021 principally to make more time for club seasons to be completed.

The initial shock of all Premier League and EFL matches being suddenly suspended until 4 and 3 April respectively last week prompted an immediate feeling among clubs that the season will not be finished. That remains a possibility, but there is said to be a strong collective determination now to get matches played if they can. Sixteen of the clubs have nine games to play, with Liverpool potentially one game away from mathematically being champions – 25 points ahead of Manchester City, in second place. City and three other clubs – Sheffield United, Arsenal and Aston Villa – have 10 games remaining.

Premier League club sources have told the Guardian that at the 13 March emergency meeting, where the suspension was decided, the clubs did not discuss the thorny question of how to decide finishing places if the season is not completed. The suggestion then by Karren Brady, West Ham’s vice-chairman, in her column in the Sun – that the season should be considered null and void – was widely ridiculed at the weekend, but she was not alone in considering that the clearest solution. Now, particularly after Uefa’s decision, there is a renewed resolve across Europe to complete the club season, including the Champions League and Europa League if possible.
WOKE AND PROUD

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Worth it. If only just to slap it into that bitch Brady and officially relegate the dildo pimping squatters.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

It’s an absolute legal minefield if the season is not completed. They need to make as much effort as possible to complete it. You can’t see anything starting until at least June at the earliest and that has to be optimistic.

If they can’t finish then the only way I see is its declared null and void. You can’t relegate a team that has chance too avoid it and same with promotion. As much as Liverpool deserve it you couldn’t give them the title as it’s not yet won. Lawsuits would be flying around for sure.

Maybe you just have to adjust next season to finish this one.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

You mean probably starting the new season in about September or October and finish it just in time for the Euros? So two seasons converge on each other with no close season? What would happen with international breaks and the play offs for the Euros? What about the transfer windows?

I was under the impression that the Premier League were slightly more keen on ensuring we get into the next season than getting this season finished but this appears to have changed. There may be legal consequences whichever route they go down. Hobson’s choice.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

kancutlawns wrote:You mean probably starting the new season in about September or October and finish it just in time for the Euros? So two seasons converge on each other with no close season? What would happen with international breaks and the play offs for the Euros? What about the transfer windows?

I was under the impression that the Premier League were slightly more keen on ensuring we get into the next season than getting this season finished but this appears to have changed. There may be legal consequences whichever route they go down. Hobson’s choice.

Maybe have no Cup competitions next season but then broadcasters wouldn’t be happy.
As you say, Hobson’s choice and you won’t be able to please everyone.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

RE: Sky Sports.
I've had an e-mail reply.
You can't suspend it but you can cancel ithe sports package and then rejoin when everything gets back to 'normal'.
I haven't looked at this in detaiul yetl but I'm sure there will be a catch in it, in Sky's favour.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

I think this is a very real possibility, given that the best estimate of a full scale vaccination programme is between 1 year and 18 months away.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Steve Hunt wrote:

I think this is a very real possibility, given that the best estimate of a full scale vaccination programme is between 1 year and 18 months away.

More chance of this season being completed than next.
A joyless arsehole.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

VeritasVincit wrote:RE: Sky Sports.
I've had an e-mail reply.
You can't suspend it but you can cancel ithe sports package and then rejoin when everything gets back to 'normal'.
I haven't looked at this in detaiul yetl but I'm sure there will be a catch in it, in Sky's favour.

Nah it's always been that way.

If there's not going to be any football in the short them and there's nothing else you watch just cancel. You'll need to give them 30 days notice and then they'll cancel.
A joyless arsehole.