Football this season

Anything sportlike
Zippy

Re: Football this season

Post by Zippy »

Football, even behind closed doors, will be a huge morale booster for the masses.

They'll complete the games, barring a mass outbreak. Not sure when but they will.

Agreed there's less chance of next season being completed in its full form. Can easily see a reduced season, maybe 19 games instead of 38.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

shabbado wrote:
VeritasVincit wrote:RE: Sky Sports.
I've had an e-mail reply.
You can't suspend it but you can cancel ithe sports package and then rejoin when everything gets back to 'normal'.
I haven't looked at this in detaiul yetl but I'm sure there will be a catch in it, in Sky's favour.

Nah it's always been that way.

If there's not going to be any football in the short them and there's nothing else you watch just cancel. You'll need to give them 30 days notice and then they'll cancel.

Yes.....I cancelled Sky Sports the other day and I will still have it for 30 days due to the notice period.

But at least I could do that as I was out of contract.

Other people locked into deals will not be able to cancel at the moment.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Have to say Championship (and EFL) clubs have played a blinder here. United front, all willing to compromise to play out the season.

Compare that to the Premier League clubs, who have Brady and co speaking publicly how voiding is the 'only' option. They've inadvertently created a situation that will make it far more difficult for the PL to void the season. They've played their cards way too early and everyone has seen them for what they are.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

Godwin's law

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zippy wrote:Compare that to the Premier League clubs, who have Brady and co speaking publicly how voiding is the 'only' option. They've inadvertently created a situation that will make it far more difficult for the PL to void the season. They've played their cards way too early and everyone has seen them for what they are.

Brady couldn't give a shit about anything other than businesses she has invested in, so of course she wants the season voided – that would mean her team narrowly avoid being relegated (on goal difference). Total self-interest.
WOKE AND PROUD

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

subsub wrote:
Zippy wrote:Compare that to the Premier League clubs, who have Brady and co speaking publicly how voiding is the 'only' option. They've inadvertently created a situation that will make it far more difficult for the PL to void the season. They've played their cards way too early and everyone has seen them for what they are.

Brady couldn't give a shit about anything other than businesses she has invested in, so of course she wants the season voided – that would mean her team narrowly avoid being relegated (on goal difference). Total self-interest.

Yep. Compare to Brighton's CEO, who was far more pragmatic and open-minded on the issue.

Part of me wants the season to resume just to potentially see West Ham go down :D
"Cunt" - sjbarca

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zippy wrote:
subsub wrote:

Yep. Compare to Brighton's CEO, who was far more pragmatic and open-minded on the issue.

Part of me wants the season to resume just to potentially see West Ham go down :D

:lol: :lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Depends on how things go, but if we are 'through' the worst of this by May and football can start in June (even if it's behind closed doors to begin) we need to play it. A summer season would be very interesting to see.

EL and CL -two tournaments of 8 teams in a neutral venue over the space of 2 weeks. Either two groups of 4 ; or a one-legged cup competition.

Start next season about October - in England divide the main leagues in to two regional leagues of 10/12 e.g English Premier North ; English Premier South - play each time twice. The top four in each then go in either a round-robin/mini-tournament and a two-legged final to decide the title? Scotland NI, Wales etc (if anyone is interested) would keep the same league systems, but 18 games rather 36.

Not great, but if we've got Euros, Copa America in 2021 I don't see how we'll fit in full seasons along with cups and European tournaments.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

The only problem with behind close doors is what happened at PSG recently where there were thousands outside celebrating. Imagine Liverpool needed a win at home for the title. You can’t waste police resources keeping crowds at bay and you are then completely missing the whole point of it.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Jonathan wrote:The only problem with behind close doors is what happened at PSG recently where there were thousands outside celebrating. Imagine Liverpool needed a win at home for the title. You can’t waste police resources keeping crowds at bay and you are then completely missing the whole point of it.

That's true. My own club Leeds would be no different if we have a game that would crown us champions.

What a shitty situation this all is. :(
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Zippy wrote:
Jonathan wrote:The only problem with behind close doors is what happened at PSG recently where there were thousands outside celebrating. Imagine Liverpool needed a win at home for the title. You can’t waste police resources keeping crowds at bay and you are then completely missing the whole point of it.

That's true. My own club Leeds would be no different if we have a game that would crown us champions.

What a shitty situation this all is. :(

Absolutely Leeds as well and even someone like Swindon could probably get over 100 fans and they would still needed policing.

Agreed. A shitty situation.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Nobody want's to see Liverpool be deprived...apart from all of us...hahahaha
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

The domestic leagues could be started in September. Scrap the league cup for the season. Noone would miss it. If they decide to have an fa cup, no replays at all. Play more mid week games if needed. Must clubs have large squads now and they are all fit enough to be able to cope with this.
Man U and rangers

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

FFS scrap the group system used in the EFL trophy and the Scots League Cup, and the U21 sides can be binned too. They should
be in an U21 cup .
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

I am rightly not known for my affection of Manchester United but credit is due where it's due, so well done United for this act of helping people who I would guess are worried about their livelihood and finances at this time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51967328
Manchester United will continue to pay all casual matchday staff even if the remainder of their season is cancelled or played behind closed doors.

The Football Association has announced that all elite football is suspended until 30 April because of coronavirus, but United say their staff's earnings will be unaffected.

Old Trafford will host four Premier League matches if the season resumes.

It is understood the payments total £1m and cover more than 3,000 staff.

The club also say staff will be paid should postponed fixtures be rearranged for another date.

"This goodwill gesture reflects the club's desire to reduce the financial uncertainty facing its casual workforce, and is in recognition of the crucial role they play in delivering services to supporters," said the club in a statement.

United's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward added: "We rely on our outstanding staff to deliver an exceptional service and experience to fans at Old Trafford.

"We understand that these are unprecedented circumstances and want to give them security whatever may happen regarding our remaining fixtures this season."

United striker Marcus Rashford has also donated a "significant" fee to a charity to help provide meals for children affected by school closures.

He has partnered with FareShareUK and has been speaking to organisations about how to help ensure the most vulnerable children are reached.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.