Football this season

Anything sportlike
kancutlawns

Re: Football this season

Post by kancutlawns »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:FFS scrap the group system used in the EFL trophy and the Scots League Cup, and the U21 sides can be binned too. They should
be in an U21 cup .

Why bin them? Those give the lower teams much needed income and TV money. Just because you’re in the top league, don’t fuck off grassroots football. It wasn’t so long ago when you were nearly in League 2, Alc.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

theleader82 wrote:The domestic leagues could be started in September. Scrap the league cup for the season. Noone would miss it. If they decide to have an fa cup, no replays at all. Play more mid week games if needed. Must clubs have large squads now and they are all fit enough to be able to cope with this.

Play more games in midweek? They already do throughout the season in the Championship. If you’re talking about the Prem, this means getting rid of the Champions League or scaling down which no club will ever agree to. Play more games during the weeks and the likes of Klopp and Mourinho will whinge as they always do about fixture congestion. The FA Cup almost has no replays as it is. The squad thing means noting as managers are full of excuses. What about the winter break?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

VeritasVincit wrote:RE: Sky Sports.
I've had an e-mail reply.
You can't suspend it but you can cancel ithe sports package and then rejoin when everything gets back to 'normal'.
I haven't looked at this in detaiul yetl but I'm sure there will be a catch in it, in Sky's favour.

I've been meaning to cancel it for ages because I've got Apple TV with Netflix Am and all other services which is much cheaper and no adverts . I only keep sky for the football really, and I expect a lot of people do, so this thing might seriously effect them in the future.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Royal24s wrote:
VeritasVincit wrote:RE: Sky Sports.
I've had an e-mail reply.
You can't suspend it but you can cancel ithe sports package and then rejoin when everything gets back to 'normal'.
I haven't looked at this in detaiul yetl but I'm sure there will be a catch in it, in Sky's favour.

I've been meaning to cancel it for ages because I've got Apple TV with Netflix Am and all other services which is much cheaper and no adverts . I only keep sky for the football really, and I expect a lot of people do, so this thing might seriously effect them in the future.

Fucking good!
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

If you consider the logistics of playing a Premier League football game then it becomes clear why this season can't be restarted at any time during the Coranavirus pandemic.

Even the suggestion of playing behind closed doors is a non starter because it would breach government guidelines. A "behind closed doors game" would involve at least 100 people as a bare minimum.

Look at the number of players, coaches, ground staff, medical staff, a skeleton internal stadium staff, TV crews, radio and media reporters (they would have to be televised and reported on or there is no point). Transport and minimal security including police presence to control fans who would be tempted to turn up (with plenty of cans of booze) and congregate outside the stadium when "behind closed doors" games are being played. Will fans be told to do one?

This is not exhaustive but it demonstrates that these games will not be allowed to take place under present government advice.

Mass gatherings will be banned and pubs to be closed as mandatory measures in the very near future.

We can’t be sure, but it’s likely that government would have quietly spoken with football bosses to ask them to continue to hold out the prospect of the season being restarted and completed, purely to try to keep public morale higher than it would otherwise be.

There are millions of football fans in the UK who are currently hanging on to the hope that this pandemic is manageable enough if we are able to restart football by May. If the PL came out now and voided the season, it would be stark confirmation that we are all in deep shit, and the government wants to keep "a light on at the end of the tunnel" to avoid panic at this moment in time.

In my opinion we are only two to three weeks away from the inevitable "voiding" announcement being made, at a time that suits both the government and the PL.

It’s all rather grim and voiding the season today would lead to a big backlash from fans and bear in mind the worst of COVID-19 is yet to hit the country. The football will become superfluous in weeks to come. Timing of the voiding of the season is critical right now. There will be no continuation of the season IMHO.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Also, three Pompey players and West Brom’s Charlie Austin have tested positive for COVID-19, would have thought more players across the professional game will test positive too in coming weeks. Can’t entertain the resumption of the season with training grounds closing down, players having to go into self isolation and teams being down to skeleton staff. Plonkers like Olly saying the season should continue “under any circumstances” should be told to shut the fuck up because they really don’t grasp he seriousness of the virus.

Republico

Post by Republico »

kancutlawns wrote:If you consider the logistics of playing a Premier League football game then it becomes clear why this season can't be restarted at any time during the Coranavirus pandemic.

Even the suggestion of playing behind closed doors is a non starter because it would breach government guidelines. A "behind closed doors game" would involve at least 100 people as a bare minimum.

Look at the number of players, coaches, ground staff, medical staff, a skeleton internal stadium staff, TV crews, radio and media reporters (they would have to be televised and reported on or there is no point). Transport and minimal security including police presence to control fans who would be tempted to turn up (with plenty of cans of booze) and congregate outside the stadium when "behind closed doors" games are being played. Will fans be told to do one?

This is not exhaustive but it demonstrates that these games will not be allowed to take place under present government advice.

Mass gatherings will be banned and pubs to be closed as mandatory measures in the very near future.

We can’t be sure, but it’s likely that government would have quietly spoken with football bosses to ask them to continue to hold out the prospect of the season being restarted and completed, purely to try to keep public morale higher than it would otherwise be.

There are millions of football fans in the UK who are currently hanging on to the hope that this pandemic is manageable enough if we are able to restart football by May. If the PL came out now and voided the season, it would be stark confirmation that we are all in deep shit, and the government wants to keep "a light on at the end of the tunnel" to avoid panic at this moment in time.

In my opinion we are only two to three weeks away from the inevitable "voiding" announcement being made, at a time that suits both the government and the PL.

It’s all rather grim and voiding the season today would lead to a big backlash from fans and bear in mind the worst of COVID-19 is yet to hit the country. The football will become superfluous in weeks to come. Timing of the voiding of the season is critical right now. There will be no continuation of the season IMHO.

:dart:

Excellent post!

Very well put!

Republico

Post by Republico »

kancutlawns wrote:Also, three Pompey players and West Brom’s Charlie Austin have tested positive for COVID-19, would have thought more players across the professional game will test positive too in coming weeks. Can’t entertain the resumption of the season with training grounds closing down, players having to go into self isolation and teams being down to skeleton staff. Plonkers like Olly saying the season should continue “under any circumstances” should be told to shut the fuck up because they really don’t grasp he seriousness of the virus.

:dart:

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

If the crisis continues deep into the autumn, it may be necessary to cancel the entire 2020/21 season home and abroad,
and simply play the 2019/20 to a conclusion. Unless teams want to play 4 games a week.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

subsub

Post by subsub »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:If the crisis continues deep into the autumn, it may be necessary to cancel the entire 2020/21 season home and abroad,
and simply play the 2019/20 to a conclusion. Unless teams want to play 4 games a week.

Who knows, AB?
But I find this notion that safeguarding a season that hasn't even started yet being more important than finishing a season that's more than 75% concluded very strange.
It's almost as if fans of certain teams who haven't had the season they'd like are keen to forget this one and move on :wink:
WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

What I find odd is thick, bored cunts like Merse seemingly unaware that there is a global pandemic on where there is no freedom of movement, most companies have shut down, no vaccine and everything’s in lockdown around the world spouting shite that Premier League football should be exempt from a ban.

Meanwhile, they think we should make an exclusion for big blokes running around, gobbing, breathing and sweating on each other in a health crisis. What could possibly go wrong with this?

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

kancutlawns wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:FFS scrap the group system used in the EFL trophy and the Scots League Cup, and the U21 sides can be binned too. They should
be in an U21 cup .

Why bin them? Those give the lower teams much needed income and TV money. Just because you’re in the top league, don’t fuck off grassroots football. It wasn’t so long ago when you were nearly in League 2, Alc.
To be fair lawns, no one in L1/2 are really interested in the EFL trophy, a large propitiation of games get attendances of 1,000 and below.

Lower league clubs see it as a stepping stone to the Prem clubs getting B teams into the system in time.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

There is only the final to play in the EFL trophy. Portsmouth v Salford.
Plus next year we will be thinking about how we are going to acommodate the Qatar World Cup in December 2022.(Thanks Blatter).
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I hope the season is commenced again in June or July. There’s only 9 games to go so this seasons nearly complete . Also it would be unfair on teams like Leeds and West Brom if the season was scrapped altogether
Man U and rangers

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Fuck this season. Shit can it now. Unfortunate yes, but the world can’t delay future seasons cos it’s ‘unfair’