Your teams best 11 (that you have seen)

Anything sportlike
Reg

Re: Your teams best 11 (that you have seen)

Post by Reg »

Sadact7 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 pm
VeritasVincit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:31 am
You'll have to explain your Charlton comment. I, like all those of a previous generation, cannot understand your ire.
I watched a video recently of about 10 minutes of Charlton. Not just the usual clips of blasting it into the net, but general play. I was struck by how modern his style of play was in comparison to those around him.

I can’t put my finger on it exactly, whether it’s athleticism, technique, equipment or whatever, but footage from the 60s always looks different to the modern game. More frenzied and not looking beyond the next pass giving it a less patterned feel.

Meanwhile Charlton looked like he could’ve been cut and pasted into it from today. I suppose it shows how far ahead of his time he was as a player.
He was a great athlete, but also graceful with good balance - he seemed to glide about.

Fergie said he was the best player he ever saw.

The fact that Charlton said Duncan Edwards was the only player who ever made him feel inferior gives an indication of how fantastic Edwards was.
Roy IN!!

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Reg wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:22 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 pm
VeritasVincit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:31 am
You'll have to explain your Charlton comment. I, like all those of a previous generation, cannot understand your ire.
I watched a video recently of about 10 minutes of Charlton. Not just the usual clips of blasting it into the net, but general play. I was struck by how modern his style of play was in comparison to those around him.

I can’t put my finger on it exactly, whether it’s athleticism, technique, equipment or whatever, but footage from the 60s always looks different to the modern game. More frenzied and not looking beyond the next pass giving it a less patterned feel.

Meanwhile Charlton looked like he could’ve been cut and pasted into it from today. I suppose it shows how far ahead of his time he was as a player.
He was a great athlete, but also graceful with good balance - he seemed to glide about.

Fergie said he was the best player he ever saw.

The fact that Charlton said Duncan Edwards was the only player who ever made him feel inferior gives an indication of how fantastic Edwards was.
A match in the early ‘60s. United v Spurs at Old Trafford.
Charlton started a run in his own half, heading for the goal. In front of him was Danny Blanchflower, who wasn’t without talent.
Charlton just gave a little twist of his body while running, using that balance you mentioned; Blanchflower fell over. Charlton carried on.

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Sadact7 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:25 am Schmeichel

Neville
Ferdinand
Stam
Irwin

Ronaldo
Scholes
Keane
Giggs

Cantona
Rooney (Proper toss up between him and Van Nistelrooy)
Go to 45 seconds and wait.