Your club’s top 5 best & worst managers you’ve seen

Anything sportlike
JW90

Re: Your club’s top 5 best & worst managers you’ve seen

Post by JW90 »

Best

Ranieri (One incredible season and a great bloke)
O'Neill (Two trophies, top ten in the Premier League on low budgets for four years, top class)
Pearson (Two promotions, two play-offs and Premier League survival. Some odd things but results were excellent)
Rodgers (Football has been superb generally)
Adams (Loved a hoof and spoke in third person but did pretty well)

Worst

Taylor (Hopeless twat squandered millions, wrecked a great squad and left us bottom)
Holloway (Couldn't even manage to keep us out of the third division, even the idiot below managed that)
Kelly (Useless tosser, cliched interviews, signed some appalling players)
Megson (Six weeks of utter shite, one goal from open play at home in five matches)
Sousa (A less expensive version of Taylor)

hitlersboots

Post by hitlersboots »

Since the late 1960s

BEST
ARSENE WENGER (The guv'nor of modern football)
George Graham
Bertie Mee
Mikel Arteta (fantastic trophy haul)
Terry Neil

WORST
Bruce Rioch
Unai Emery
Don 'attack from the back' Howe

(only eight managers since I was born)
Talkforum is a truly appalling website.

Northern Troglodite

Post by Northern Troglodite »

Bruce Rioch.....took a bankrupt 3rd Div side to the big league with local lads mainly
Jack Charlton ......took a decent div 2 side , blew the league apart won it by march, took them up & should of spent money, finished 6th , admits they should of won it, then established them
Steve Mclaren ...won the only trophy we have won , kept us pretty stable in the PL , euro final tonking off a v good Seville side apart
John Neal ....perfect fit at time
Aitor karanka ....bit of a madman,control freak but got the job done from a very low start

Bobby Murdoch....clueless
Strachan .....acidic & bought scotish crap galore from Celtic /Rangers ......yet were not good enough for Championship
Colin Todd ...nothing without Rioch
Gareth Southgate .......thought jeremy Aliadierre, would be a ideal replacement for Viduka
Steve Agnew ....clueless man
Bring on "The Clutcher :)

JW90

Post by JW90 »

What do you think of Bryan Robson, Trog? Seemed to have a really mixed spell at the Boro, promotions, cup finals and exciting players signed yet also relegations and other struggles.

Robert Heenan
Winner - TOTY 2011!!!!

Post by Robert Heenan »

hitlersboots wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:35 pm Since the late 1960s

BEST
George Graham
Bertie Mee
Terry Neil

WORST
Bruce Rioch
Unai Emery

Im a Man Utd fan but i disagree regarding Bruce Rioch. I thought he was a brilliant manager at Arsenal... A visionary who brought Bergkamp and Platt to the club. Even though he was only at Arsenal for one season... He tried to bring flair, skill and passing attacking football. His team actually were even more robust and physical than George Graham's Arsenal. I think his downfall was he had too many run ins with the board. I know he didn't see eye to eye with Ian Wright which was a mistake too. He could have been much better than Wenger if only he got along with the board and his top striker

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Surely you remember Bobby Charlton's brief sojourns at Preston and Wigan. Where would that fit into your lists?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

JW90 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:36 pm What do you think of Bryan Robson, Trog? Seemed to have a really mixed spell at the Boro, promotions, cup finals and exciting players signed yet also relegations and other struggles.
He famously kept West Brom up in 2005 thanks to bargain of the season Kevin Campbell and avoiding relegation to the Championship with a great home win on the last day of the season at home to Pompey. The did go down though I think the following season and Robson was gone.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Robert Heenan wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:26 am

BEST
George Graham
Bertie Mee
Terry Neil

WORST
Bruce Rioch
Unai Emery

Im a Man Utd fan but i disagree regarding Bruce Rioch. I thought he was a brilliant manager at Arsenal... A visionary who brought Bergkamp and Platt to the club. Even though he was only at Arsenal for one season... He tried to bring flair, skill and passing attacking football. His team actually were even more robust and physical than George Graham's Arsenal. I think his downfall was he had too many run ins with the board. I know he didn't see eye to eye with Ian Wright which was a mistake too. He could have been much better than Wenger if only he got along with the board and his top striker
I note that it specified as since the late 60's
Again I will have to presume that you were never able to watch any of the Busby teams?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

VeritasVincit wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:05 pm

BEST
George Graham
Bertie Mee
Terry Neil

WORST
Bruce Rioch
Unai Emery

I note that it specified as since the late 60's
Again I will have to presume that you were never able to watch any of the Busby teams?
Bob’s in about his mid forties so he wouldn’t have seen the Busby teams.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Oh! I could have sworn he was a good 60!

Robert Heenan
Winner - TOTY 2011!!!!

Post by Robert Heenan »

Mr VeritasVincit

Do you support Man Utd?

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

BEST
George Graham
Bertie Mee
Terry Neil

WORST
Bruce Rioch
Unai Emery

Rioch was a dirty twat, the Charlie Adam of his day. There was a glorious moment at the end of the '76 FA Cup semi final at Hillsborough. He'd done a tackle that was a blatant red, ref did nothing and blew the whistle, United fans ran on the pitch to celebrate,one confronted Rioch and chased him all the way to the tunnel. Never seen the cunt move so fast
There's no poem, just prose.

Northern Troglodite

Post by Northern Troglodite »

JW90 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:36 pm What do you think of Bryan Robson, Trog? Seemed to have a really mixed spell at the Boro, promotions, cup finals and exciting players signed yet also relegations and other struggles.

He was in the top 5 then i remembered John Neal , it was a great time under him & ultimately had he won that elusive trophy he would be right up there. But a lot of it was money based , signing good players is a talent, the players signed were mostly top end ,hence talented ....& with a good academy too behind it , he just failed to get that side over the line & once the cash was slowed down ....the coaching levels seemed limited ,hence Terry Venables arrival ....once TV arrived ,the end was nigh
Bring on "The Clutcher :)

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Robert Heenan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:10 am Mr VeritasVincit

Do you support Man Utd?
I always regard 'support' as meaning going to the ground and watching live. That's what I did in the long distant past - Stretford End, then Old Trafford Paddock.
That's why I remember a little of the pre-Munich team and lots of the Law, Best and Charlton team.
I was on the Stretford End when Best made his first appearance in the first team.
Now I am an armchair follower, who doesn't get overly upset when things go awry, but still have a deep-seated dislike of certain teams.

And don't call me Mr VeritasVincit.
Its VeritasVincit, Veritas, or VV.
One uses Mr. when it is applied to a real surname, not a made-up name on a forum.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

VeritasVincit wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:44 am
Robert Heenan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:10 am Mr VeritasVincit

Do you support Man Utd?
I always regard 'support' as meaning going to the ground and watching live. That's what I did in the long distant past - Stretford End, then Old Trafford Paddock.
That's why I remember a little of the pre-Munich team and lots of the Law, Best and Charlton team.
I was on the Stretford End when Best made his first appearance in the first team.
Now I am an armchair follower, who doesn't get overly upset when things go awry, but still have a deep-seated dislike of certain teams.

And don't call me Mr VeritasVincit.
Its VeritasVincit, Veritas, or VV.
One uses Mr. when it is applied to a real surname, not a made-up name on a forum.
What’s the VV vs Bobby H beef all about?
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe