Firefox 57

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
m4rkb

Firefox 57

Post by m4rkb »

I've used Firefox for donkey's years , right back from when it was the Mozilla Suite and Mike Dickin's expert on the Thursday morning technology hour prescribed it as the universal solution to all browser (and especially virus and malware) problems. Most subsequent releases were also worth their salt.

Being an open source project you could also be certain that it had no built in spyware or other nasties secretly crept in under the hood for the benefit of the corporation writing it.

It had the best set of extensions and customisable features on any browser and was the browser of choice for most software developers and tech geeks for years.

Until now!

I'm afraid I don't like the new completely rewritten version. Half the extensions I'm used to either don't work or the developer has not bothered to rewrite a new version. It's also not lightening fast as per the tin label and all extensions have to be written under the common webAPI which are exactly the same as used on Chrome.

Apart from the superb Noscript extension - which was so good it was the only feature to be built in as a default on the TOR browser, I can't find a reason to continue using it in preference to any other browser.

Anyone else feel the same or not at all impressed.

Geezer
Forum Admin

Re: Firefox 57

Post by Geezer »

Since I.E. became shit, many moons ago I've used Chrome. Never a problem.
'This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption.'

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Not used Firefox for years, it was amazing but it got so bloated and slow I defected to Chrome, as speed is pretty much the only thing I care about, also, you can sync all your history and bookmarks to you phone and tablet and PC, which is very handy in my book.
Build Back More Betterer

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I'm coming around to the same way of thinking. The only bone of contention I have with completely swapping over to Chrome is that it's written by Google and is thus higher up the spyware ladder than Firefox. As I use a password manager (Lastpass) I class this as a vulnerability when riding on top of a program owned by a company with more connections to the security services than Donald Trump apparently has with the Russians - not that I do anything untowards.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

There is that, but when you think about it, does it matter? Are you doing anything illegal online? I used to give a shit about online security and people maybe snooping on me, but then I realised it simply isn't an issue.

I use tor for all my taking over the world shenanigans, anyhow.
Last edited by Eaststand on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build Back More Betterer

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Google beat everyone else to fuck years ago. Stragglers still hobble to them, dazed and confused
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

No problems with new Firefox so far, m4rk. Maybe I don't go deep down, deep down, and keep it simple. And as fast as always, landlord, well as fast as Chrome as you say and use that elsewhere.
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Google beat everyone else to fuck years ago. Stragglers still hobble to them, dazed and confused
As per, bewtiful film and as per Wooderson:

Nay problems with new Firefox, the fuck I'll evenutally like every fucker have to go Chrome or get a Gmail email. And then are we homogeneous?

Not really. And who wants homogeneity? Corparate cunts and Governments. Box ticking. Being on Firefox is not revolutionary, fuck no, more stasis, but it stiil aint bad.

Some say great, some say not, It's a game of opinions of what you want a browser to do: https://www.extremetech.com/internet/25 ... at-browser

But this man's not for changing yet.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Hey, I'll have you know I was using Chrome when it was called chromium and just a beta.

I was there before it was cool, man. And to be honest, it is by far and away the best browser out there.
Build Back More Betterer

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

The new Noscript isn't as good as the old one, in my opinion.
A lot of my stuff on Greasemonkey won't work, because THAT had to be re-written.
I have to use Opera to "Listen Again" now, for some reason.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99