Apple ID scam

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
birdie

Apple ID scam

Post by birdie »

I wasn't decided whether to post this in D&D for information purposes so decided on here.

I know yous fellas are all very savvy, but some of you may have elderly parents who may be caught.

I received an email purporting to be from Apple, it looks like Apple, it has all sorts of copyright numbers and registration numbers but it's a scam.

it is titled 'support icloud'

Basically it just says Dear (no name), and then says that your Apple ID has been locked due to an unusual sign in attempt, it then says that, unless you enter your login details and unless you provide the requested information 'before 1 week' your ID will be permanently locked.
The grammar and punctuation would shame a 10 year old, it's obvious that one of those translate apps has been used, so if any of you have anyone who may be taken in by this please give them the heads up, I know a forumer's dad nearly forked out 40 quid on one of those ohone scams but he was there and stopped him, I wouldn't wish anyone to have their details pinched and perhaps lose thousands.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

LordLaret

Re: Apple ID scam

Post by LordLaret »

birdie wrote:I wasn't decided whether to post this in D&D for information purposes so decided on here.

I know yous fellas are all very savvy, but some of you may have elderly parents who may be caught.

I received an email purporting to be from Apple, it looks like Apple, it has all sorts of copyright numbers and registration numbers but it's a scam.

it is titled 'support icloud'

Basically it just says Dear (no name), and then says that your Apple ID has been locked due to an unusual sign in attempt, it then says that, unless you enter your login details and unless you provide the requested information 'before 1 week' your ID will be permanently locked.
The grammar and punctuation would shame a 10 year old, it's obvious that one of those translate apps has been used, so if any of you have anyone who may be taken in by this please give them the heads up, I know a forumer's dad nearly forked out 40 quid on one of those ohone scams but he was there and stopped him, I wouldn't wish anyone to have their details pinched and perhaps lose thousands.

I fell for one such like this Birdie when I got an email from iTunes saying I was being billed for an European Road Map update for some app on the iPhone and panicked cause thought someone had gotten to my account and had to shut it all down, kill off all iTunes access to my card and close my iTunes account. It was horrendous cause these emails looked all legit and shit.
"My Profile Signatures Were Crap, So I Got Rid Of Them."

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

I normally just click on the sender when I get mails like this and if it has an unrecognisable names e.g. daemon and doesn't have an email address of the company it purports to be representing, I know it's spam. Companies like HMRC don't send mails directly to you, it would be by letter or telling you to look onto your Gateway account to check the message. Also, some mails are strewn with spelling and grammatical errors. They won't have authentic signatures or may have scanned one and put it into the mail body which is usually unprofessional and badly pasted in.

So many giveaway signs. I reckon that a load of old people who get this sort of shite are actually quite savvy about scams. My old man's in his late 70s and even though his not that up with technology, he knows when some twat's phishing. He's not all that frugal but is still careful.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

You'd think scammers would have realised this by now
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

Its like the Nigerian Prince scams, they're deliberately written to look like a mong has penned it, because the people who reply must be gullible as fucks mongs themselves.

Normal people don't fall for these scams. Retards do. They don't want normal people. They're done in a moronic way to whittle out the normal folks,because that just leaves retards to fleece.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Eaststand wrote:If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

Its like the Nigerian Prince scams, they're deliberately written to look like a mong has penned it, because the people who reply must be gullible as fucks mongs themselves.

Normal people don't fall for these scams. Retards do. They don't want normal people. They're done in a moronic way to whittle out the normal folks,because that just leaves retards to fleece.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

And I don't think it's necessarily the olds who are prone to this. It's just the politics of fear.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Nigerian Prince 'Scam"?
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Is it Jon Gaunt's latest money spinner?

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:Nigerian Prince 'Scam"?

Yeah, the 419 scams. Its not even always by nigerians, they just caught an old white guy in california for them.
Build Back More Betterer

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I know someone who got had in by it despite everyone telling him the story he was fed work for word without seeing it.

Estimates by friends suggested around £2k