Apple 4K tv

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
black_guardian

Apple 4K tv

Post by black_guardian »

Worth the bother?

As someone who hates Apple and never bought one of their child slavery inspired devices, I've been told it's a better option to deliver 4K content...but I'd have to sign up to iTunes...
<Doctor...you will die for this...!>

antdad

Re: Apple 4K tv

Post by antdad »

No, especially as you're not an iTunes subscriber. Roku Premiere or stick will probably do, Amazon also has a 4K stick neither of which will be as slick or as seamless as the ATV but as you alluded you detest being tied in.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

get a 4k chromecast, theyre called the chromecast ultra, then just use your tablet or phone as the remote to cast netflix etc
Build Back More Betterer

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

I read somewhere that some TV's that aren't 4k, are. ...Because where 2 models exist, a 4k and whatever the lower resolution one is called, it's cheaper to make a 4k one and block something in the software than to make 2 models. Apparently the 4k can be unlocked by accessing the hidden menu. (Obviously not gonna work with all tv's, or any perhaps, if I was being mugged off.)
I really am a biatch

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

I think you're referring to hdr, which is often portrayed as being 4k on its own, when it's not, it just makes the blacks blacker.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer

antdad

Post by antdad »

Last time I looked chromecast ultra didn't support Amazon which is what I wanted as I'm a Prime subscriber, Roku can be a bit clunky but supports more providers.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Yeah, their squabble with google is really fucking annoying. Ive an nvidia shield for emulating games so I just run that through there , but I find I'm wtching prime less and less, because its complete shit, while Netflix seems to be going from strength to strength recently.
Build Back More Betterer

black_guardian

Post by black_guardian »

antdad wrote:No, especially as you're not an iTunes subscriber. Roku Premiere or stick will probably do, Amazon also has a 4K stick neither of which will be as slick or as seamless as the ATV but as you alluded you detest being tied in.

Got a Firestick but cannot get Netflix in 4K so I use my LG TV app instead.

Is the NVIDIA shield any better?
<Doctor...you will die for this...!>

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

The Nvidia shield kicks every other android boxes arse mate. Its super powerful. Its expensive at 140 squid compared to the competition but its worth it.

Also you can play old computer games up the nintendo gamecube flawlessly, its that powerful, so no 4k stuttering whatsoever, ever, something shittier boxes suffer from.
Build Back More Betterer

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Eaststand wrote:I think you're referring to hdr, which is often portrayed as being 4k on its own, when it's not, it just makes the blacks blacker.

Quite likely. I remember it was something having the ability to be unlocked to make it twice as good quality.

I think TV's are good enough quality already. Perhaps if it's a really large screen, but for standard sizes it's a waste of time.
I really am a biatch

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

I dunno mate, I used to think that, like "what the fuck would i need 4k for" Now Ive got one, the level of detail is insane, you cant go back to 1080p. I had a few days a couple weeks ago where BT was running at half speed and netflix could only manage 1080p streaming, my spoiled brat eyes couldnt watch it, its looks horrific once youve experienced the best.
Build Back More Betterer

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

I like this from LG. Even though as per still got a Samsung CRT with great picture, won't replace till it dies. And despite having a big living room, no TV is going to take it over. Maybe by then the LG price might be reasonable, when they list a price:

Maybe that will be the time I'm a grey haired, specs beared chap in a turtle neck jumper wearing white trainers. :shock: So not anytime soon then: :roll:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 16826.html
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?