Q for Chrome Users

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
Zambo

Q for Chrome Users

Post by Zambo »

Having a few problems over the last week or so.

Chrome hangs, and if I open another tab and type in a request just hangs as well

OK, if I close it and reopen for a bit, but then happens again

When I run CCleaner I get the message Chrome is open (which it isn't) and asks if I want it closed forcibly. Say Y nowt happens, so cancel and it skips Chrome cleaning

I've tried

1. Windows task manager, and up to a dozen Chrome.execs are open although there isn't any. Try and close again from TM, some will some won't

2. Done same in Chrome, also disabled extensions and backround running after Chrome is shut

3. Run virus and malware scans

Thinking about a reinstall, but has anyone else got any ideas?

Cheers
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Vespa

Re: Q for Chrome Users

Post by Vespa »

Remove (not disable) all the chrome extension, if that makes it stable add then back one at a time.

Every problem I've had on chrome has been an extension or flash.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Cheers, I'll try that.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Every tab, and every extension has it's own chrome.exe so that's why you'll see lots of them in task manager. I think even with no extensions and no extra tabs there's 2 chrome.exes.

Chrome uses a lot of memory, so the more tabs there are the more memory it'll use and that can cause hangs/freezes.

When I close Chrome it takes a bloody long time for all the exe's to close. Sometimes I'll use a little program I have called Process Viewer which is like task manager with the advantage that it allows you to see which of those chrome.exe's is the main one. If you close that one they all bugger off in an instant (if you close any of the others you'll just end up closing them one by one until you hit the right one).

So it's normal for a chrome.exe to linger for a minute after you've closed chrome, but if it's still there after maybe 2 minutes then something is wrong.

Look in scheduled tasks (in control panel). Chrome likes to add a task to check for updates EVERY BLOODY HOUR. It could be the updater exe that you've seen loitering. Whenever I've updated chrome myself I always delete the scheduled task.

Do you use the adblock plus extension. If you do then that's likely been contributing to the freezes.
I really am a biatch

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

LaaLaa wrote:Sometimes I'll use a little program I have called Process Viewer which is like task manager with the advantage that it allows you to see which of those chrome.exe's is the main one.

Blimey - that's useful.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Vespa wrote:Every problem I've had on chrome has been an extension or flash.

I don't even have flash installed (or Java). Most sites that use flash still manage to do the flash-based stuff some other way (or if it's stuff like flash-based ads or bells and whistles then good riddance.). I'm only inconvenienced on average once every 6 months, if that. If I need flash I'll use firefox which I also have installed (but which I can't use as my main browser because when I use it for prolonged periods it does a blue screen crash on average once a day which is a fucking pain.)
I really am a biatch

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

LaaLaa wrote:Every tab, and every extension has it's own chrome.exe so that's why you'll see lots of them in task manager. I think even with no extensions and no extra tabs there's 2 chrome.exes.

Chrome uses a lot of memory, so the more tabs there are the more memory it'll use and that can cause hangs/freezes.

When I close Chrome it takes a bloody long time for all the exe's to close. Sometimes I'll use a little program I have called Process Viewer which is like task manager with the advantage that it allows you to see which of those chrome.exe's is the main one. If you close that one they all bugger off in an instant (if you close any of the others you'll just end up closing them one by one until you hit the right one).

So it's normal for a chrome.exe to linger for a minute after you've closed chrome, but if it's still there after maybe 2 minutes then something is wrong.

Look in scheduled tasks (in control panel). Chrome likes to add a task to check for updates EVERY BLOODY HOUR. It could be the updater exe that you've seen loitering. Whenever I've updated chrome myself I always delete the scheduled task.

Do you use the adblock plus extension. If you do then that's likely been contributing to the freezes.

Cheers La, I do use adblock, and I have been running CCleaner immediately after shutting Chrome down. Tried again with a gap of a couple of minutes and it worked fine this time. Also no probs with Chrome since I started the thread, so fingers crossed.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

LaaLaa wrote:
Vespa wrote:Every problem I've had on chrome has been an extension or flash.

I don't even have flash installed (or Java). Most sites that use flash still manage to do the flash-based stuff some other way (or if it's stuff like flash-based ads or bells and whistles then good riddance.). I'm only inconvenienced on average once every 6 months, if that. If I need flash I'll use firefox which I also have installed (but which I can't use as my main browser because when I use it for prolonged periods it does a blue screen crash on average once a day which is a fucking pain.)

We use Arlo camera that, annoyingly, still uses flash. It drives chrome bonkers.

I'm hoping at some point I hope Arlo will fix it.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Vespa wrote:
LaaLaa wrote:Sometimes I'll use a little program I have called Process Viewer which is like task manager with the advantage that it allows you to see which of those chrome.exe's is the main one.

Blimey - that's useful.

It's called PrcView, it's site prcview.com no longer exists. I googled and found it hard to find, but it looks like it's here:
http://priede.bf.lu.lv/ftp/pub/Service_ ... rcView.htm

You'd probably want to do the necessary virus checks etc because I can't vouch for that particular copy on that page.

It's very light, a lot less bloated than task manager. To find which chrome task is the main one you highlight it and View-Process Tree then in the little window that opens click on the main chrome process then click the x and close the little window and the main chrome process will be highlighted and you can rightclick & kill and Chrome vanishes. It looks like a palaver the way I've written it but it's a lot faster than closing chrome the conventional way then sitting staring at the tasks in task manager while chanting "fuckoff fuckoff fuckoff..."
I really am a biatch

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Zambo wrote:Cheers La, I do use adblock, and I have been running CCleaner immediately after shutting Chrome down. Tried again with a gap of a couple of minutes and it worked fine this time. Also no probs with Chrome since I started the thread, so fingers crossed.

Although adblock in general slows things a little because of how they work, I was referring specifically to the one called Adblock Plus which seems to just hang for longer than it should.
I really am a biatch

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Yeah, that is shit. the actual extension called just "adblock" is far better.
Build Back More Betterer

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Eaststand wrote:Yeah, that is shit. the actual extension called just "adblock" is far better.

Taking money out of youtubers pockets .... you bastard.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Hey, if I like them, I support them on patreon.

But I'm not fucking watching ads lol
Build Back More Betterer

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

LaaLaa wrote:
Zambo wrote:Cheers La, I do use adblock, and I have been running CCleaner immediately after shutting Chrome down. Tried again with a gap of a couple of minutes and it worked fine this time. Also no probs with Chrome since I started the thread, so fingers crossed.

Although adblock in general slows things a little because of how they work, I was referring specifically to the one called Adblock Plus which seems to just hang for longer than it should.

Ah, OK, haven't got that. What I do notice though, is when I access news on-line, it usually takes for an age to load a page with photos and ads even though I've got adblocker on.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Zambo wrote:
LaaLaa wrote:

Ah, OK, haven't got that. What I do notice though, is when I access news on-line, it usually takes for an age to load a page with photos and ads even though I've got adblocker on.

Adblocker still has to sift through all those lines of code to see what it needs to block. The page likely loads quicker without adblocker, waiting is the price you pay to have the ads blocked.
I really am a biatch