Home Recording Setups

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
kevin04

Home Recording Setups

Post by kevin04 »

Does anyone make/record music or even podcasts?

I received a wonderful wee Christmas present - Focusrite Scarlet2i2. A wee home recording device to record music, interviews, speaking, anything really, and trying to work my way around it.

I've got about 15 songs or bits and bobs of songs, and it really was a fantastic gift and out of the blue. I've said for years now (my pal who unfortunately lives 950 odd miles away - but has his own wee studio) that I'd record some of my stuff with him, but I guess I have no excuses now with this beast.

Anyhoos, as a bit of a Master of None - I think it'll be a bit of a slog me getting to grips with the technology, and I am roaning on here, but the point of this thread was does anyone have this system? Or similar? Any advice for recording your own stuff at home?

Even after half a day of playing it with, it's fantastic and just what I need for accousticy/folk music.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: Home Recording Setups

Post by Carlos J »

Sounds a lovely gift, Kevin. Hope you make the most of it.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Even the Proclaimers started somewhere. If you can make your own music, get it recorded, It will outlive you, and a nice legacy
to leave your loved ones. I do suggest getting a real bass guitar, and learn to play it. Still got an 4 track tape in the loft, hours of fun.
Let the JOHN SHUTTLEWORTH inside you come flying out.
Had the Amstrad Studio 100 monstrosity Cube in the 80s . Awful Tat , Thanks Lord Sugar.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Start a talksport related podcast and stick it on YouTube, Kev.
I'd listen.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Hahaha to all, and all welcome suggestions.

I'm using (loosley) Ableton Live10 or trying to at least.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Bump..

How are you getting on with Ableton, Kev?

Interested to know if you shopped around first and what made you go with Ableton, as its notoriously difficult to master, compared to FL studio, for example.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

yeah I hate ableton, fl studio for the win.

Or just plain audacity is you're just recording for a podcast/youtube video.
Build Back More Betterer

black_guardian

Post by black_guardian »

kevin04 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:29 pm Does anyone make/record music or even podcasts?

I received a wonderful wee Christmas present - Focusrite Scarlet2i2. A wee home recording device to record music, interviews, speaking, anything really, and trying to work my way around it.

I've got about 15 songs or bits and bobs of songs, and it really was a fantastic gift and out of the blue. I've said for years now (my pal who unfortunately lives 950 odd miles away - but has his own wee studio) that I'd record some of my stuff with him, but I guess I have no excuses now with this beast.

Anyhoos, as a bit of a Master of None - I think it'll be a bit of a slog me getting to grips with the technology, and I am roaning on here, but the point of this thread was does anyone have this system? Or similar? Any advice for recording your own stuff at home?

Even after half a day of playing it with, it's fantastic and just what I need for accousticy/folk music.
Make yourself the next Si Ferry but please use an accent I can decipher! 😄
<Doctor...you will die for this...!>

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Cheers lads,

Ableton 10 is going alright. I'm still not fully clued up on it, but I can get through it. There's a superb 3 hour tutorial online on YouTube which helps, but I've managed to record some stuff. Might try and do an ambient, electronica album as a project for the next few months.

Been a bit busy with extra shifts thanks to Covid, so not dedicated as much time as I'd like but I'm hoping to use a fair bit of the summer to keep working away with it. Agree with Sid, it's not the easiest or most user friendly for a novice like me, but it's a task and enjoying!

Guardian - haha, after a few drinks I probably sound worse than Ferry. Is he difficult to understand? I'm half Dundonian half Weegie, so the worst of both worlds!

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

kevin04 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:29 pm Does anyone make/record music or even podcasts?
Only just seen this Kev. Yeah, I do it as a job and have done for 20 years. Got a home studio setup. All I do all day is make trax. Jolly good fun.

If you need advice on Cubase, software (some great plugins about if you wanna do electronica/ambient), analog synths, guitars etc. just pm me. Be happy to help.

I do record alot of acoustic guitar and uke too so can also advise on mics.

Know nowt about Ableton but my friend got it recently and asked me how to work it. I had to pass on that but in the end her 12 year old son sussed it and now he has got into composing and he's posting stuff on YT and making impressive music.

Bloody kids eh!

Good luck with the recording!

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Jock Bauer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:15 pm
Only just seen this Kev. Yeah, I do it as a job and have done for 20 years. Got a home studio setup. All I do all day is make trax. Jolly good fun.

If you need advice on Cubase, software (some great plugins about if you wanna do electronica/ambient), analog synths, guitars etc. just pm me. Be happy to help.

I do record alot of acoustic guitar and uke too so can also advise on mics.

Know nowt about Ableton but my friend got it recently and asked me how to work it. I had to pass on that but in the end her 12 year old son sussed it and now he has got into composing and he's posting stuff on YT and making impressive music.

Bloody kids eh!

Good luck with the recording!
Nice one, Jock. Sounds a great way to make a living too.

My pal is a brickie by trade, but went to study production when he was 26. We played in bands when younger, and could see he loved it. He now (or did) played at pubs, clubs both in a wedding band plus solo (with loops etc ) and records as well. He's building a wee studio too himself. When it's quiet like now, he returns to the brickie business or does homers.

I'll be in touch with queries, Jock If I'm struggling. Thanks for your help.

Hope your are well.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

The new Deacon Blue is born !
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.