⚠︎ Be aware: Skype / Paypal scam

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
lambrini

⚠︎ Be aware: Skype / Paypal scam

Post by lambrini »

Yesterday I received an official email from PayPal stating that a pre-approved payment of £25.00 had been billed to 'Skype Communications SARL' from my debit account through my Skype account. I haven't used Skype for many years, so was confused as to why I approved the billing. I logged in to my Paypal account to find a pre-payment to Communications SARL and immediately filed a dispute and changed my Paypal and Skype passwords.

Whilst Paypal stopped further outgoings to Communications SARL, unfortunately they closed the dispute and can't give me a refund because I had apparently 'authorised' the payment. Obviously this is not the case; I can't re-file the dispute, so am waiting to hear from them via message, which could take hours due to staff shortages. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I logged into my Skype account today. Bafflingly, nothing has been billed to my account; there is no evidence of the supposed call(s). Likewise, my debit account – I have no pending, paid or pre-paid transactions or subscriptions. Did Communications SARL use a loop-hole of some kind? Scammers are getting more and more sophisticated these days! 🤔 This scam is not a recent one. Complaints about 'Skype Communications SARL' go back to 2011; sadly, some individuals had hundreds of pounds stolen and received no refund from Paypal. 😩

Anyway, be aware. ⚠︎
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

shabbado

Re: ⚠︎ Be aware: Skype / Paypal scam

Post by shabbado »

Post up your Skype and Paypal usernames / passwords and i'll double check everything is ok.

Ta
A joyless arsehole.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

I've already given mine to Reg.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Always see who you have "authorised" in your Paypal account. Delete the fucken lot. Do it cunts DO IT NOW. Packlink are the worst.
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

shabbado wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:11 pm Post bobs and vegana and i'll double check everything is ok.

Ta
:D
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:57 pm Always see who you have "authorised" in your Paypal account. Delete the fucken lot. Do it cunts DO IT NOW. Packlink are the worst.
Thanks.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

lambrini wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:54 am Yesterday I received an official email from PayPal stating that a pre-approved payment of £25.00 had been billed to 'Skype Communications SARL' from my debit account through my Skype account. I haven't used Skype for many years, so was confused as to why I approved the billing. I logged in to my Paypal account to find a pre-payment to Communications SARL and immediately filed a dispute and changed my Paypal and Skype passwords.

Whilst Paypal stopped further outgoings to Communications SARL, unfortunately they closed the dispute and can't give me a refund because I had apparently 'authorised' the payment. Obviously this is not the case; I can't re-file the dispute, so am waiting to hear from them via message, which could take hours due to staff shortages. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I logged into my Skype account today. Bafflingly, nothing has been billed to my account; there is no evidence of the supposed call(s). Likewise, my debit account – I have no pending, paid or pre-paid transactions or subscriptions. Did Communications SARL use a loop-hole of some kind? Scammers are getting more and more sophisticated these days! 🤔 This scam is not a recent one. Complaints about 'Skype Communications SARL' go back to 2011; sadly, some individuals had hundreds of pounds stolen and received no refund from Paypal. 😩

Anyway, be aware. ⚠︎
Like who the fuck uses Skype now? :lol: :shock:

Use a credit card, pay off stat. The credit card companies hold the cash, before releasing to big companies like airlines until ready to go. Some more finance stuff, but the gist. They hold the power. Use a credit card though for anything big.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Thanks. I haven't used Skype for years, but, like many others, hadn't closed my account. :lol: Paypal replied to my query, I can appeal but with substantial evidence. In other words, "fuck off, there's nothing we can do about it." 😑
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Paypal's interface is not user-friendly.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Thank you for the refund, Paypal. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
( ◡‿◡ )