Not technology, but advice needed. Fuel

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
VeritasVincit

Not technology, but advice needed. Fuel

Post by VeritasVincit »

Simple question really.
Time to renew/replace gas & electric supplier.
Can anyone see into the future.? Fixed price or variable [not seasonal variable].

I've also noted that alot of suppliers are making the fitting of a Smartmeter mandatory. Am I wrong to be suspicious of these - I know what I use and when already. If I'm not using it i switch it off.

Zambo

Re: Not technology, but advice needed. Fuel

Post by Zambo »

Had two year fixed price dual fuel contracts for some time now. Suppliers can't make smart meter fittings compulsory, but they can make the most attractive fixed price tariffs smart meter only.

Personally, I will hold out untll the bitter end because they are of no advantage to me. I insert my meter readings once per month, get an actual on- line bill, and my ddr payment is altered accordingly. Smart meters are also still causing too many problems anyway, particularly when changing supplier.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Some attractive fixed price want smart meters, some don't. I don't.
Ditto with variable tariffs.
I can sign up for a fixed or a variable at the same price now, what of the future. My last supplier put it up half-way through.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Check to see if there's an exit fee. I've noticed there always seems to be a supplier that's around £49.xx per year cheaper, but there's a £50 exit fee to change supplier. So at the end of the first year you'd only break even, but by then the prices would have changed so you were no longer with the best supplier...
I really am a biatch

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

It's threads like this that makes me happy I live with an uber accountant.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Vespa wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:05 pm It's threads like this that makes me happy I live with an uber accountant.
Is there no end to that companies reach?

Uber
Uber Eats
Uber Accountants
A joyless arsehole.

antdad

Post by antdad »

There are others available but MSE have an energy club, join it and include your current tariff details and it'll give you an unbiased ongoing comparison and recommendation for best tariffs available. You'd expect prices to increase as economies improve, if you go for a fixed monthly tariff based on a lean or hopeful estimate they invariably increase it over the summer to ensure you have enough credit over the winter.

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

I was once in a kind of club. When enough people signed up they searched for the best deal given that they could offer the company a very large numbe of consumers. It worked and we got a good deal, but after a year or so the deal became less good as the price started going up.
One good point was that the supplier I paid me back the amount I was in credit within a week.

gheko

Post by gheko »

I changed over to this company about six months ago, no problems so far, cheap too.
https://green.energy

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

I was in Green Energy Network, who had wanted to put the price up by over 25% a month.
So I've just changed.