The Last Film You Watched - Part 4

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Zambo

The Last Film You Watched - Part 4

Post by Zambo »

From here

https://www.talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... start=1500
carcinogen wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:57 pm "The Dig" (2020). Fucking really enjoyed it. Sutton Hoo is quite close by so I was interested anyway. Fiennes is brilliant, he even did a pretty good job with the Norfolk/Suffolk accent. He was born in Ipswich which I never knew. It's a really well shot film (filmed in Surrey not Suffolk sadly). A really nice diversion, I really recommend you watching it on Sunday afternoon.

"In 1939, archaeologist Basil Brown (Ralph Fiennes) arrives in Woodbridge, Suffolk, at the behest of landowner Edith Pretty (Carey Mulligan). With the help of his apprentices Peggy (Lily James) and Stuart (Johnny Flynn), Brown searches the property for any significant finds until he stumbles upon the remains of a Viking burial site. Naming the site Sutton Hoo, Brown's discovery challenges the conceptions of British history to their very core, making significant strides in the field of archaeology in the process. Based on true events."

When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

gheko

Re: The Last Film You Watched - Part 4

Post by gheko »

Tenet.

Liked it. Whacky.

minx

Post by minx »

News of the World, Netflix original with Tom Hanks.

I cried tears of both sadness & joy, as per most other Hanks films
"to be revered" ..anon..

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Double bill

Bohemian Rhapsody
A Star is Born

BR Good, found myself drifting in and out of the other.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Greenland.

Shiteland more like. 3 meteors out of 10.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

gheko

Post by gheko »

Gone girl.

Good stuff. Don't neglect your marriage folks!!

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Watched a few over the weekend and last week.

News Of The World 8/10 - maybe that is a high mark, or I was in a good mood ; but I recently read Lonesome Dove and in a wee bit of a cowboy/wild west phase so this was just perfect. I know he has his detractors, but when Hanks is good, he is brilliant, IMO. He played the role brilliantly, then again so did everyone. I loved the wee intricacies of the wee lassie's family speaking broken English and German together. The scenery was stunning and the ending was just brilliant - I must be old as I really laughed at it and just thought, wow, what a lovely wee flick.

Hudson Hawk 3/10 - I mind the poster for this as a kid back in the days where Bruce Willis was at the crossroads of growing in the receding locks, trying to keep them short and looking alright. This film was all over the place. I probably should have expected it would be bizzare with the opening ten minutes. Some interesting cameos - Fred from Coronation Street plays an Auctioneer, and even funnier (if anyone is mad enough to sit through this) pause the film on the moment BANG happens and just look at his face, it should make you laugh! Richard E Grant also plays the baddie in this, and he hasn't really aged at all or if he has its very subtle, he looks almost the same. Anyways, some very cheese, and poorly delivered lines which will make you laugh at how bad they are along with 3 or 4 moments where the film turns in to musical and Bruce Willis and his pal Danny Aielo sing a swing song whilst beating up the baddie or so. If this was any longer than 90 mins I would never have watched this.

The Dig 8/10 - just finished this tonight. Fiennes was excellent, his accent to my untrained ear sounded very good - or what I imagine someone from that area would sound like. Everyone was very good in this. A lovely soundtrack to go over this, and some really nice dialogue and lines. It helped having a very likable cast e.g no overacting, or if this was a US film, it would be far too patriotic/chest bumping USA USA this was certainly a lot more reversed and the scenes involving Britain being at war with Germany were done brilliantly and genuinely moving, poor Chamberlain doesn't get enough credit, IMO for trying his best! It took me fifteen minutes to realise that the Johnny Gaelcki looking guy was actually Ben Chaplin from Game On in the 90s! He still looks good, but man, aging can be tough -going from basically a model to looking like a better looking Robert Lindsay these days... ahem.. This and Dunkirk, are two 'war' era movies - The Dig isn't a war film, but it is set at the start of WW2 - that have made me really think after watching them. I hope Fiennes gets an Oscar nod. Lilly James, who I don´t know much about is lovely in this too, and top man big Ken Scott made me laugh - I have never heard him speak without a Edinburgh or generic Scottish accent, so him playing the plummy, well-to-do gent in town was interesting and he pulled off that Anglo twang too. Give it a watch! Just a nice, lovely and touching wee film.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

davidarthur

Post by davidarthur »

Wrong Turn (2020) - why do they bother doing remakes when the end result is a steaming pile of crap? 1/10

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

The Petrified Forest (1936)
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Hud (1963)
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

gheko

Post by gheko »

Ex Machina - learned that I would shag a robot.
Good film.

Two Crows

Post by Two Crows »

"Call Northside 777" (1948). Starring James Stewart, Richard Conte and Lee J Cobb.

Based on a true story.

If I'm ever wrongly convicted of slaying a Police Officer I want Jimmy Stewart to prove my innocence. :drinkers:

Dieu Le Roi.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Two Crows wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:05 pm "Call Northside 777" (1948). Starring James Stewart, Richard Conte and Lee J Cobb.

Based on a true story.

If I'm ever wrongly convicted of slaying a Police Officer I want Jimmy Stewart to prove my innocence. :drinkers:

Jimmy Stewart 🧡
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

lambrini wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:23 pm
Two Crows wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:05 pm "Call Northside 777" (1948). Starring James Stewart, Richard Conte and Lee J Cobb.

Based on a true story.

Jimmy Stewart 🧡
Went to a Jimmy Stewart study day at Sydney University a few years ago hosted by David Stratton, who’s the Barry Norman of Australian Cinema.

Johnny Carson footage, David’s personal anecdotes of his friend plus four movies- Bend of the River, Harvey, Rear Window and it’s a Wonderful life.

A long day and night with only 30 people in attendance with a debrief of everybody’s notes after each movie. Kankers would’ve loved it!

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

:)