The Last Film You Watched (Part 3)

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Shedboy

Re: The Last Film You Watched (Part 3)

Postby Shedboy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Saw Molly's Game today. Another excellent film with Jessica Chastain wearing some wonderful dresses. :wnk: An Oscar must go to her designer.

ikhlaq786

Postby ikhlaq786 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:52 pm

carcinogen wrote:Finally saw Three Billboards. A solid, watchable film. But that's it. Doubt I will ever re-watch it. Slight disappointment given the hype. It's a bit like that Jeff Bridges vehicle last year. Great but forgettable.

An excellent film, I just watched Goodbye Christoper Robin and believe me it is a superb film.
"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

Shedboy

Postby Shedboy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 pm

ikhlaq786 wrote:An excellent film, I just watched Goodbye Christoper Robin and believe me it is a superb film.
Especially when he went down on Alice? :)

ikhlaq786

Postby ikhlaq786 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Shedboy wrote:
ikhlaq786 wrote:An excellent film, I just watched Goodbye Christoper Robin and believe me it is a superb film.
Especially when he went down on Alice? :)
:lol: :lol:
"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

Rossco

Postby Rossco » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Fallen.....the 1998 movie with Denzel.....not the newer film with similar name.

Decent movie. Slow build up but good strong actors playing their roles well made up for that.

7/10

Psalm 23 - The Lord Is My Shepherd

VeritasVincit

Postby VeritasVincit » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Support Your Local Gunfighter. 1971. James Garner. Jack Elam, Harry Morgan, Joan Blondel et al.
Recorded from Film 4.
I watch it because I've travelled on the train in the opening sequences.

Shedboy

Postby Shedboy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Three Billboards for me today and I must say thoroughly enjoyed.
Woody Harrelson's performance was fine and I thought Frances McDormand was excellent yet again , overshadowed only by Sam Rockwell's superb portrayal of Dixon. 9/10 from me

Two Crows

Postby Two Crows » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:22 am

VeritasVincit wrote:Support Your Local Gunfighter. 1971. James Garner. Jack Elam, Harry Morgan, Joan Blondel et al.
Recorded from Film 4.
I watch it because I've travelled on the train in the opening sequences.

Garner was the master at dead pan humour.
Young Biff: Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?
Old Biff: It's leave, you idiot! "Make like a tree, and leave." You sound like a damn fool when you say it wrong.

Two Crows

Postby Two Crows » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Watched 'Darkest Hour' yesterday.

A biopic of Winston Churchill set in the month of May 1940. Centre's around three events/issues - Churchill becoming Prime Minister, the evacuation of Dunkirk and the pressure exerted on Churchill by some of his colleagues to negotiate a peace settlement with Hitler.

Needless to say Gary Oldman was superb as Churchill and his performance has been well acclaimed.

Good show, worth a butcher's for sure. I give it a healthy 6/10.
Young Biff: Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?
Old Biff: It's leave, you idiot! "Make like a tree, and leave." You sound like a damn fool when you say it wrong.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Postby Basualdo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:41 pm

The Man Would Be Polka King.

A weird documentary about Jan Lewan the Polish Polka maestro who was jailed in 2004 for running a Ponzi scheme. No mention of Darren Gough though.
Full of phrases like "east coast polka scene" and ''his north west Pennsylvania polka empire''

An amazing story about a bandleader whose life turned to shit when he rigged the Mrs Pennsylvania 1998 contest for his wife to win (Or did he?) Bus crashes, a stint in a maximum security prison where he got his throat cut when a malicious and wrong rumour started about him a being child molestor, lots and lots of very embittered, vengeful ancient Polacks and a ratty wee grass of an accordian player. Never trust an accordian player unless its Weird Al.

I then watched the Netflix movie about him, The Polka King, starring Jack Black which was alright.
Proud Gammon

kancutlawns

Postby kancutlawns » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:52 am

Molly’s Game 6/10

Went to watch this with high hopes as heard it was the female version of Wolf of Wall Street. Sadly, with the exception of mass scale fraud that focused on the New York financial district it was nothing of the kind. It lacked the sleeziness, hilarity and crass ostentatiousness of WoWS. This film was around an ex Olympic skier who left the sport due to a severe spinal injury and had an iptesive father.

She was supposed to start Law School but deferred by a year to become a glass changer waitress and she tol a job as an administrator where her boss told her to organise poker parties where incredibly wealthy businessmen, sports stars, politicians and actors would attend and she got really lucrative tips. Her rather nasty and narcistic boss sacked her and she set up her own poker enterprise where she took the same clients and turned her apartment into a poker place. She started attracting big players in Wall Street and whilst being successful, paid out to players who were financially struggling to keep them in. Meanwhile, one of the players tatted her to the Feds and she was arrested for the den have connections to the Russian and Italian Mafia. A load of associates yo the mob where rounded up and Molly had Idris Elba as her lawyer. She was accused of running an underground poker den and pleaded guilty yet the prosecution decided not to seek an jail term as they knew her employability was at zero. She had no job, income, future, home.

A very average movie sadly. The poker terminology and gaming concept would have gone over the heads of those like myself who didn’t understand it. Molly was on a cocktail of drugs as she was in a persuit of something she hated and was clinically depressed, Elba’s role of litigator was rather lightweight and unsuitable with an actor of his ability and stature, every character in the movie lacked warmth or likability which is quite something and you left it feeling rather underwhelmed. The saving grace was that I did eventually watch it on the big screen and didn’t have to endure it on the TV. Even Kevin Costner was rather unimpressive. Oh how those days of JFK, Dances With Wolves, the Untouchables and even Prince of Thirves and Waterworld seem a lifetime ago.

It finishes on the big screen next week and probably just as well. Never really been a fan of Jessica Chastain and whilst she has played strong women, she sadly lacks really warmth and you do have a lack of connection with her characters.

kevin04

Postby kevin04 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:47 pm

The Post

5.5/10

It was alright. A bit cliched, and dare it even be a bit dated - the whole dramatic music for a big scope ; heroic music for the good bits ; etc. An all star cast and whilst everyone acted well, I don't know if I was tired or what, but the film was just alright. It's about mostly the Washington Post who get hold of classified information from the US government regarding their involvement in the Vietnam wars. The ending looked super, super shady too! Like a hack did it on his free app and camera. I was surprised to see Steven Spielberg's name at the end! Not one of his greatest, although it'll win awards no doubt. The end message is basically trust the mainstream media/press.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Rabble

Postby Rabble » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Shame. Shite.

Shedboy

Postby Shedboy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:17 am

kevin04 wrote:The Post

5.5/10

It was alright. A bit cliched, and dare it even be a bit dated - the whole dramatic music for a big scope ; heroic music for the good bits ; etc. An all star cast and whilst everyone acted well, I don't know if I was tired or what, but the film was just alright. It's about mostly the Washington Post who get hold of classified information from the US government regarding their involvement in the Vietnam wars. The ending looked super, super shady too! Like a hack did it on his free app and camera. I was surprised to see Steven Spielberg's name at the end! Not one of his greatest, although it'll win awards no doubt. The end message is basically trust the mainstream media/press.
Went to see it today. A good enough effort, I must say, but it wasn't the gripping, tense film I thought it might be.
One of my favourite films is All the President's Men and I found myself comparing the two and The Post loses out by some distance.

I like Tom Hanks but have never been a fan of Meryl Streep and when you put the cast of The Post up against such names as Hoffman, Redford, Warden, Beatty, Balsam, Hobrook and Robards in All the President's Men it's easy to see where the former pales in comparison.

6.5/10

kevin04

Postby kevin04 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:03 pm

What did you make of the ending, Shed? It looked really shady, IMO - amateur graphics, music etc.

P.S is that the first film that Hanks has smoked in? Or pretended to smoke in?

It was between The Post and Downsizing and whilst it was alright, it's nowhere near the hype its receiving.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.