What TV series should I watch?

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Lord Notin Kwestion

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Post by Lord Notin Kwestion »

Preacher
Imagine a vaccine so safe you have to blackmailed into taking it, for a virus so deadly you have to be tested to know if you have it.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

I'm watching 'The Tick"(no, not him).

On Amazon.
Peter Serafenarenetfedbuonvic as the lead character.
It's alright,
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Basualdo wrote:I watched the first two episodes of Im Dying Up Here, a fictionalised account of the LA comedy scene in the early 70s.

The first one, the pilot, was not very good.
But the second one was a lot better. Not great, but good enough that I will watch the third one when its available.

Watched the third one.

I think I'm going to give this a miss.

Not good at all.
It treats comedians with the same awed reverence and genuflection that you might reserve for someone who found a cure for cancer.
Not the drunken hateful narcissists the usually are.
For example in the first episode one of them commits suicide by stepping out in front of a bus. In this instance it seemed a supremely selfish act of wanting to go out on top (he got a guest appearance on the Johnny Carson show not a 6 movie deal or a world tour).

After this death the others are in the comedy club discussing the funeral arrangements and one of them wonders if they should book a church for the memorial service, to which the female club owner says, while dramatically sipping a scotch - because that denotes sincerity in these people - and looking grimly off camera at nothing, "You're in one."

Not only is this line assuredly not played for laughs, but they are so proud of it that they repeat in their 'previously on' recaps before the start of the other shows.
I havent even touched on the scenery chewing exploits of the same owner when comparing herself mentoring these 'comedians' to a lioness suckling her cubs complete with her thrusting out tiny withered cleavage for dramatic effect. Again played completely straight.

When they do show the "comedians" acting like dicks and feuding, these witty banter slingers idea of humour never rises above the level of paying tramps to shit in each others cars.

Combine all this with long sub Scorcese tracking shots at every fucking opportunity, and a 70s look makes That 70s Show look as gritty as Serpico and you get a 2 out of 10. And 1 and a half of that is for the wigs who suffer more than the viewers and occasional bush shot.

I havent even mentioned the clunky cultural references out of nowhere to remind you what era you're in, "Hey, Picasso just died!"

I defy even Notin to disagree with me on this one
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

carcinogen wrote:OZARK. I just finished watching Ozark. I really fucking enjoyed it and can heartily recommend it.

Synopsis (Wiki):

Ozark is an American crime drama thriller web series created by Bill Dubuque and produced by Media Rights Capital. Jason Bateman stars in the series; he also directed the first two and last two episodes.

Bateman portrays financial planner Marty Byrde, and Laura Linney portrays a homemaker turned real estate agent Wendy Byrde. Marty suddenly relocates the family from a Chicago suburb to a summer resort community in the Missouri Ozarks after a money laundering scheme goes wrong, and he must pay off a debt to a Mexican drug lord.

The acting is supurb, as is the writing. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Any of you who liked Ozark and have a few hours to spare might find it interesting to listen to these True Crime Garage podcasts on the 'Boy on the Tracks' murders in that general area back in the 80s. I know Carc knows that area a bit.

Its a chilling, depressing and very compelling tale of murder, drugs and gross corruption up to the highest levels following the murder of two teenage boys in rural Arkansas.
You will probably not be surprised at a few of the names that get an occasional mention.

https://player.fm/series/true-crime-gar ... UnHgEzoUuc

https://player.fm/series/true-crime-gar ... VqIZ55wsfO

https://player.fm/series/true-crime-gar ... -3-of-4-95

https://player.fm/series/true-crime-gar ... -4-of-4-96
Proud Gammon

Geezer
Forum Admin

Post by Geezer »

Prolly already posted but Narco's is back season 3!
'This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption.'

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Geezer wrote:Prolly already posted but Narco's is back season 3!

3/4's of the way through it and it isn't doing it for me so far, it's just not as engrossing as 1 and 2 imo, and that isn't because it's not about Escobar anymore, rather than it feels plodding and weak.
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

Reg

Post by Reg »

Just catching up on some Curb that I missed, before the new series begins next month.
Roy IN!!

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

lasharoo wrote:

3/4's of the way through it and it isn't doing it for me so far, it's just not as engrossing as 1 and 2 imo, and that isn't because it's not about Escobar anymore, rather than it feels plodding and weak.

Overall I liked it. It was always going to be a slow burn compared with Don Pablo's exploits. Couple of excellent characters they missed out on developing. Felt that Pacho was underused in the middle part and the ending was rushed.

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

Just started series 3 of Narcos 8)
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Twin Peaks - the Return. Confusing, bewildering and utterly stunning. Only watch if you were a fan of the original series.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Basualdo wrote:
Basualdo wrote:I watched the first two episodes of Im Dying Up Here, a fictionalised account of the LA comedy scene in the early 70s.

But the second one was a lot better. Not great, but good enough that I will watch the third one when its available.

Watched the third one.

Not good at all.
It treats comedians with the same awed reverence and genuflection that you might reserve for someone who found a cure for cancer.
For example in the first episode one of them commits suicide by stepping out in front of a bus. In this instance it seemed a supremely selfish act of wanting to go out on top (he got a guest appearance on the Johnny Carson show not a 6 movie deal or a world tour).

After this death the others are in the comedy club discussing the funeral arrangements and one of them wonders if they should book a church for the memorial service, to which the female club owner says, while dramatically sipping a scotch - because that denotes sincerity in these people - and looking grimly off camera at nothing, "You're in one."

Not only is this line assuredly not played for laughs, but they are so proud of it that they repeat in their 'previously on' recaps before the start of the other shows.
I havent even touched on the scenery chewing exploits of the same owner when comparing herself mentoring these 'comedians' to a lioness suckling her cubs complete with her thrusting out tiny withered cleavage for dramatic effect. Again played completely straight.

When they do show the "comedians" acting like dicks and feuding, these witty banter slingers idea of humour never rises above the level of paying tramps to shit in each others cars.

Combine all this with long sub Scorcese tracking shots at every fucking opportunity, and a 70s look makes That 70s Show look as gritty as Serpico and you get a 2 out of 10. And 1 and a half of that is for the wigs who suffer more than the viewers and occasional bush shot.

I havent even mentioned the clunky cultural references out of nowhere to remind you what era you're in, "Hey, Picasso just died!"

You've convinced me to watch it.
Roy IN!!

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Reg wrote:
Basualdo wrote:

Watched the third one.

Not good at all.

You've convinced me to watch it.

On your own head be it, Reg.

Three episodes of this and you'll be begging to watch videos of 'Delli Alli's Greatest Snide Moves' narrated by Goldstein as an alternative......well maybe not, but nearly.
Proud Gammon

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

EddieCheddar wrote:
lasharoo wrote:

Overall I liked it. It was always going to be a slow burn compared with Don Pablo's exploits. Couple of excellent characters they missed out on developing. Felt that Pacho was underused in the middle part and the ending was rushed.

Good assesment Eddie...they sent Pacho to Mexico and never devolped his story properly, what was the point? This series as a whole seemed like they were doing it on the hoof, perhaps they should have stopped after 2.
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

PG30

Post by PG30 »

Just finished with the leftovers

What a masterpiece that turned out to be

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

PG30 wrote:Just finished with the leftovers

What a masterpiece that turned out to be

Just watched the first 3 episodes of the new Bojack.

Not bad so far.
Proud Gammon