What TV series should I watch?

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
User avatar
deisegirl
Registered user
Posts: 5408
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:10 pm
Location: Bogland

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby deisegirl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:34 am

Basualdo wrote:
deisegirl wrote:Finished The Deuce today. So grim but I found it compelling.

Watched a few episodes of the new series of Stranger Things. Not really bothered to finish it.

The Deuce is great, isnt it. I wouldnt say grim though, gritty maybe. Definitely compelling. I'm only 6 episodes in but I'm glad that Maggie Gyllenhaal has finally moved past the lingering self loathing looks in the mirror with fag in mouth that seemed to happen every 5 minutes.



You should have stuck with Stranger Things if just to see the now infamous clusterfuck that is episode 7. Truly a "what the fuck is this shit?" moment.
Remember that really funny Hitler/Downfall vid of 'Ronnie Irani gets into the Talksport editing suite' on Youtube?
Well they must have let Irani all over that episode, script, editing, design, direction, everything.

Apart from that it wasnt bad, nowhere near as good as the first series and I fear series 3 will be a disaster.
Someone on reddit said of this series that they would maybe give it a 'B' but episode 7 drags it down to a 'C' or 'C-'.


I didn't think the first series of Stranger Things was that great (I know I'm in the minority there) but I thought I'd give it a second chance and watch some of the second series but thought that was even worse.
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!

User avatar
theleader82
Registered user
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:40 pm

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby theleader82 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:55 pm

kancutlawns wrote:
theleader82 wrote:I was thinking of watching peaky blinders. Is it worth getting into? I know there been a couple of series

Listen to the Sports Breakfast and avoid the middle man.

I want to get one of those peaky blinder hats

kancutlawns
Posts: 40000
Posts: 64744
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:37 pm

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby kancutlawns » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:04 pm

What are they like?

User avatar
Zambo
Registered user
Posts: 24263
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:18 am

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby Zambo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Image
Don't believe everything you think and Rise above principle and do what's right

User avatar
deisegirl
Registered user
Posts: 5408
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:10 pm
Location: Bogland

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby deisegirl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 pm

Binged The Sinner on Netflix. Pretty good and only 8 episodes so easy enough to work through
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!

User avatar
carcinogen
Registered user
Posts: 13428
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: East Coast

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby carcinogen » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 pm

carcinogen wrote:I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard very good things about 'Mindhunter'.


Up to episode 7. Fucking excellent. It's like the X-files, but set in the late 70s and not sci-fi but about the FBI starting to use profiling to hunt-down serial killers.

First class shit. I kid you not. 8/10.
“Sport is the big giveaway. Wherever sport plays a big part in people's lives you can be sure they're bored witless and just waiting to break up the furniture.”

― J.G. Ballard, Kingdom Come

User avatar
theleader82
Registered user
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:40 pm

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby theleader82 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Zambo wrote:Image


Image

User avatar
Zambo
Registered user
Posts: 24263
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:18 am

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby Zambo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:58 am

Back tonight
Don't believe everything you think and Rise above principle and do what's right

lasharoo
Registered user
Posts: 16162
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:50 am

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby lasharoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:58 am

This new series of Mr Robot is really grabbing me by the balls, last weeks episode was spectacular TV.......my one reservation is this could turn into some time travelling sci-fi codswallop, they have certainly dropped enough hints about it heading in that direction.....but in the meantime I'm enjoying the ride.
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

lasharoo
Registered user
Posts: 16162
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:50 am

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby lasharoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 am

Basualdo wrote:
deisegirl wrote:Finished The Deuce today. So grim but I found it compelling.

The Deuce is great, isnt it. I wouldnt say grim though, gritty maybe. Definitely compelling. I'm only 6 episodes in but I'm glad that Maggie Gyllenhaal has finally moved past the lingering self loathing looks in the mirror with fag in mouth that seemed to happen every 5 minutes.

I'm still not sure what to make of The Deuce........I looked forward to watching it, I enjoyed watching it, it had a great cast and it re-created the scuzzy side of 1970's New York brilliantly.........but ffs nothing happened! It was all world building and character development and zero fucking plot........I think if this had been written by someone other than David Simon it would have got a harder time off the critics.
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

User avatar
Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!
Posts: 37779
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:31 am
Location: Selling some halogen lamps.

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby Basualdo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 pm

lasharoo wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
deisegirl wrote:Finished The Deuce today. So grim but I found it compelling.

The Deuce is great, isnt it. I wouldnt say grim though, gritty maybe. Definitely compelling. I'm only 6 episodes in but I'm glad that Maggie Gyllenhaal has finally moved past the lingering self loathing looks in the mirror with fag in mouth that seemed to happen every 5 minutes.

I'm still not sure what to make of The Deuce........I looked forward to watching it, I enjoyed watching it, it had a great cast and it re-created the scuzzy side of 1970's New York brilliantly.........but ffs nothing happened! It was all world building and character development and zero fucking plot........I think if this had been written by someone other than David Simon it would have got a harder time off the critics.




Yeah it was glacially slow, but still very enjoyable.
My favourite characters were Stretch, the giant diner owner - who settled Reggie Love's hash, Rudy Popilo the happy mobster and Bobby the brother in law.

And that blonde housewife from Virginia Beach in the last episode was hot as fuck!
Proud Gammon

User avatar
carcinogen
Registered user
Posts: 13428
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: East Coast

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby carcinogen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:01 am

lasharoo wrote:This new series of Mr Robot is really grabbing me by the balls


I watched the first one of the new series and gave up. Then I gave it another go. So glad I did. Enjoying it.
“Sport is the big giveaway. Wherever sport plays a big part in people's lives you can be sure they're bored witless and just waiting to break up the furniture.”

― J.G. Ballard, Kingdom Come

lasharoo
Registered user
Posts: 16162
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:50 am

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby lasharoo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 am

Basualdo wrote:And that blonde housewife from Virginia Beach in the last episode was hot as fuck!

:wnk: :)
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

lasharoo
Registered user
Posts: 16162
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:50 am

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby lasharoo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 am

carcinogen wrote:
lasharoo wrote:This new series of Mr Robot is really grabbing me by the balls


I watched the first one of the new series and gave up. Then I gave it another go. So glad I did. Enjoying it.

This series just gets better as it goes on imo Carc, you made the right call to stick with it.
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

User avatar
Bad Blue 2000
Registered user
Posts: 18559
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:05 pm
Location: The BantCave

Re: What TV series should I watch?

Postby Bad Blue 2000 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Basualdo wrote:
lasharoo wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
deisegirl wrote:Finished The Deuce today. So grim but I found it compelling.

The Deuce is great, isnt it. I wouldnt say grim though, gritty maybe. Definitely compelling. I'm only 6 episodes in but I'm glad that Maggie Gyllenhaal has finally moved past the lingering self loathing looks in the mirror with fag in mouth that seemed to happen every 5 minutes.

I'm still not sure what to make of The Deuce........I looked forward to watching it, I enjoyed watching it, it had a great cast and it re-created the scuzzy side of 1970's New York brilliantly.........but ffs nothing happened! It was all world building and character development and zero fucking plot........I think if this had been written by someone other than David Simon it would have got a harder time off the critics.




Yeah it was glacially slow, but still very enjoyable.
My favourite characters were Stretch, the giant diner owner - who settled Reggie Love's hash, Rudy Popilo the happy mobster and Bobby the brother in law.

And that blonde housewife from Virginia Beach in the last episode was hot as fuck!

Totally agree with Lash's assessment.

It took me about 4 episodes before I realised Stretch was Slim Charles and Reggie wasn't Ice Cube.
A one man Poznan
NEXEN TIRE
"Of course they're a legitimate company... they send razor blades through the post...for a dollar."


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests