The Death of Rock Music

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

The Death of Rock Music

Post by Steve Hunt »

From David Hepworth's book 'Uncommon People':

''In the twenty first century it seems rather inappropriate to use a popular twentieth century term to describe Kanye West, Adele, or Justin Bieber as rock stars. These people are cut from a different cloth. The age of the rock star ended with the passing of physical product, the rise of the automated percussion, the domination of the committee approach to hit making, the widespread adoption of choreography, and above all the advent of the mystique destroying internet. Rock stars were the product of an age when music was hard to access and was treasured accordingly. The stars of music no longer have a right to public attention merely by existing. Their products now compete on a level playing field with everything from virtual reality games to streaming movies. What was once hard to find is now impossible to escape. Music no longer belongs in a category of otherness. It's just another distraction business, owned by the same multi national conglomerates as the theme parks and the multiplexes .......... the rock stars mystique is at an end.

Hepworth maintains that the era of the rock star died sometime in the mid nineties & that we are now in the hip hop age.

He's spot on, imo.

Unless you like hip hop (I hate it), the music scene is dead.

Lou Grant

Re: The Death of Rock Music

Post by Lou Grant »

Rocks stars were mostly shit though and when the same searchlight that hit the BBC and Hollywood and other instituitions makes its way to those musos of the 60s and 70s then who knows what hell will be unleashed.

We are not in the 'hip hop' age, btw, whatever the fuck that is.

As I always say in these threads, the best time for music is always now. Everything that was great is still out there to enjoy or discover (or rediscover) and great new music is being made every day. And it's been democratised. You don't need to be public schoolboys with rich parents to make music like you once did. You don't even need friends, a band, the ability to play an instrument, a producer, a studio.

Of course there's now more product and inevitably that means a whole lot more shit to wade through - but with an open mind, a little research, and the ability to know where to find things of interest, there is so much to enjoy.

Reports of the death of music can be binned alongside reports of the death of most things, this forum included. :)
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

Can't fault anything he says there .. nice and concise and that.
Music will always be important but the mystique he mentions was always a load of ol bollocks tbf
I can't conceive of any possibility of a new sound within 'rock' music personally. But I can with hip hop even not knowing much of it iykwim

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

My god people love to waffle on a load of old shit about music
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

:|

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Can the thread be renamed "aging man doesnt like what the kids listen to nowadays, as it was better in his day"
Build Back More Betterer

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Rock stars Died on 22/10/1976.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

Eaststand wrote:Can the thread be renamed "aging man doesnt like what the kids listen to nowadays, as it was better in his day"

This threads not about me though, eastie!
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Rock will come back around again in a new, evolved form - much like all genres seem to do.

While not really capturing the imagination of the youth right now, there still appears to be a big appetite for guitar music in a live setting. I read recently that the highest grossing tour in music last year was Guns N' Roses, very much a 'legacy' band, followed by the likes of U2, Metallica and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Nevertheless, there's still some really great new stuff being produced out there.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Lots of small music venues are closing. Once all the dinosaur rock bands like the stones and u2 retire there won't be many acts to fill out arenas. Kids nowadays prefer to watch music. Through YouTube rather than experiencing it live.
Man U and rangers

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

Oi .. this mystique he casually threw in is boiling my piss now. There's only ever a tiny percentage of any artists anywhere who put in the graft to learn their craft. Those guys don't give a shite about this mystique that was only ever manufactured by fellas like Hepworth himself. Paid to put musicians/general knobheads like everyone else on front covers or hype to be the next big mysterious thing.
Younguns don't give a fuck about that what with their parents being cultural morons who still go to gigs they went to 40 years ago and haven't gained a single original thought since either. Then you have the dinner party simpletons .. oh yes Nick Cave oh yes !
I like at least some of that fellas output myself tbf but I'd be awful fucking disappointed if my kids did ! Well I'd blame society and wish death on my entire generation .. fuck it I''m fucking fuming about thia now !!! grrrr