Re: Jeremy Thorpe

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Carlos J wrote:Bas tells it well. :)

Saves me typing paragraphs of shite.

Small mercies, and all that.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Eaststand wrote:I'd never heard of this, probably because it was 3 years before I was born and involved an irrelevant politician, but having just spent quite a while reading about this, its quite sad really, some bender breaks the cardinal rule, never stick your dick in crazy, and instead of going "jesus lads, this cunt won't leave me alone, haha", he has to resort to trying to kill said mental bummer, knowing itll ruin his career if it gets out hes gay, and it ultimately did.

Sad.

Jeremy Thorpe may have been the leader of a minor party with only a handful of MPs, but for a while he was certainly not irrelevant.
In 1974, with the hung parliament, he could have done a ‘Clegg’ and gone in with the Tories for a taste of power. He didn’t which forced Heath to resign and left us with a minority Labour Government.
So minor, yes, but irrelevant, no.

As you weren’t around then you obviously will not appreciate that this affair was really big news at the time. it’s not often you get a politician of his stature on trial for conspiracy to murder.
The trial details and what had emerged earlier from Scott kept us all ‘enthralled’.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

VeritasVincit wrote:As you weren’t around then you obviously will not appreciate that this affair was really big news at the time.

It was and it wasn't, though. Before the Internet you could only discuss it with the blokes down the pub and the people at work, and after about 5 minutes you started talking about something else. Which is the way it should be, come to think about it.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99