Are You Being Served?

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Eaststand

Re: Are You Being Served?

Post by Eaststand »

In reality mate, people like me who never saw it first time round, find it very uncomfortable to watch. Same with all the could be perceived to be racist and whatnot comedy, it just seems so weird to my generation and below. I know it wasnt made or watched with much, if any proper malice, but its still so freaky to watch.

You grew up with it, so you have nostalgic feelings towards it, which make s you view it differently.
Build Back More Betterer

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

Once saw a documentary im America in the deep south , and they loved AYBS then when the narrator mentioned john inmams character to.some red neck his face was a picture
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

m4rkb wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote: If they wanted to ruin it completely they could put Matt Forde in it.

He's free.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

The theme music was excellent.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Mr Humphrys was never outed as gay despite the character being camp. Why was it that when any of the other shop store staff said “I’m free!” to notify their colleagues they could attend to customers this barely registered but when Humphrys said it in a high pitched voice, it raised sniggers, became his catch phrase and became associated with his presumed sexuality?

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Because gayz is funny. Actually though, I don't really see why that was funny even back then, it's not even about it being homophobic, it's just not funny.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Just watched an episode with Joanna Lumley in it; playing as she did for years - posh bird with plummy accent.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Yeah, I saw that too. Utterly ravishing back then too. All that staff had it in for her. Didn’t get why as the perfect me seller she wasn’t allowed to get changed in any of the dredging rooms. Was it because of Slocombe or that pretentious twit Peacock? She ended up stripping off and getting her stockings on and Mr Lucas the lech collapsed.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Eaststand wrote:Because gayz is funny. Actually though, I don't really see why that was funny even back then, it's not even about it being homophobic, it's just not funny.

Outrageous campness is funny. Even though it was obvious they batted towards the long leg , many of their fans thought
they were straight.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

The End

Post by The End »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:The theme music was excellent.

It was the worst theme tune ever, ever, ever - even worse than 'Sons and Daughters'.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

The End

Post by The End »

kancutlawns wrote:Mr Humphrys was never outed as gay despite the character being camp. Why was it that when any of the other shop store staff said “I’m free!” to notify their colleagues they could attend to customers this barely registered but when Humphrys said it in a high pitched voice, it raised sniggers, became his catch phrase and became associated with his presumed sexuality?

Because he was a puffter.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Reg

Post by Reg »

If they had an animals department, then Mr Humphies could have brought a cockerel to work for some reason, and served a customer who was buying an ass, whereapon the ass could have tried to eat the cockerel, and Mr Humpries would have tried to rescue it.

At this point Captain Peacock could have called out, “Are you free, Mister Humphries?”

And he could have replied, “One minute, Captain Peacock, I’m just trying to pull my cock out of this gentleman’s ass.”

And Captain Peacock would have looked confused.

Or of course, it could be the customer who had the cock... :-k
Roy IN!!

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Are You Being Bummed more like
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Strangely enough, the one group who are up for some gay innuendo banter are gays. Providing they are not activists.

ikhlaq786

Post by ikhlaq786 »

Love the show.
"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."