Eurovision 2019

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Eurovision 2019

Post by Carlos J »

'Eurovision: You Decide' was on Friday night. Was working so missed it and pondered all 90 minutes now. But, nah went straight to the winner. Hmm:

Treis to be a big power number, fails. Tries to be anthemic, fails. It's just bland and not fun. A definite right side of the scoreboard for me. Dates for the diary:

First semi-final: Tuesday 14 May.
Second semi-final: Thursday 16 May.
Eurovision 2019: Saturday 18 May.

As always it will be great. 8) And 5/5 on the Newsround Eurovision quiz: 8) https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/47183714
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Shedboy

Re: Eurovision 2019

Post by Shedboy »

Your're right about how bad it is, Carlos; it's utter shite.
Unfortunately it was also, for me, the most bearable one of the night. That shows how bad the others were. :lol:

No excuse needed but this is how it's done.

Not forgetting my favourite Eurovision song (is it really 47 years since I watched this live on our British Relay tv?)

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Shedboy wrote:Your're right about how bad it is, Carlos; tt's utter shite.
Unfortunately it was also, for me, the most bearable one of the night. That shows how bad the others were. :lol:

I've just listened to clips of the others, Shedboy. A strange old format, 3 songs with 2 different people singing them, a knockout then a public vote. I didn't mind Holly Tandy's version of the same song, Well out of all the others, it was the only one I managed to make it to the end. It has more potential to be fine tuned, the power ballad Rice version ain't going to go anywhere. From 1'40":

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Ha. Both great, Shedboy. Vicky is sublime and still think I prefer GILF Bobbysox from 2015, that catsuit and tease of lacy bra: :wnk:

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Shedboy wrote:[...]Not forgetting my favourite Eurovision song (is it really 47 years since I watched this live on our British Relay tv?)

From Edinburgh indeed. I said last year or the year before, probably 2015 as 60th anniversary about doing my top ten of all time winners (others would be so long), and never got done. Time probably. :(

Will have have a go though with a day to listen to all before May.

Can give an immediate top 3 of Britiish and Irish winners though. And look, the Eurovision orchestra is there, playing live, but hey. Simply delightful:

Everything is of its time, but a lovely song:

Dear mama's favourite, Johnny Logan, the whole blame for getting me into this game. But a decent ballad, not going power and one for the women to love:

I have a day or two free to ponder all 62 songs in full length and do a scorecard before May. Here be highlights:

If this isn't top 5, I would be amazed Gainsbourg wrote it. Quelle surprise:

And as to the never did make it to winners list, two immediate standouts from recent years. The bewtiful Common Linnets in 2014. Lost to a bloke with a beard in a dress singing a power ballad: :(

2017. Romania. Ilinca ft. Alex Florea with a masterpiece for Eurovision. It finsihed 7th. The Euro public voted it 5th out of 26. The juries voted it 15th out of 26 and gave it less than half the points they gave to the top 6. They were well and truly robbed by juries, anything scored decent scoring they would and should have won: https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/2017 Hence why the juries are so out of sync with the watching masses. Cunts. The UK had these top people in 2017 allegedly:

Mary Hammond
Emma Stevens
Rokhsan Heydari
Kipper Eldridge
Jay London

And the 2nd greatest song IMO never to have won Eurovision:

Simply wonderful:

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Anything will be better than Fat Feminist Chicken Woman.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:Anything will be better than Fat Feminist Chicken Woman.

IMO. Big Netta simply saw pre-Eurovision 2015 favourite, big Bojana, celebrating all, singing on about 'Beauty Never Lies' and finishing 10th. Fine tuned it, added some silliness of chicken noises, a kimono and shelves of Maneki-neko and then can win. Made it less earnest but still delivering a positive message. Well it worked:

Bojana 2015:

Netta 2017:

Had it on my equal top points performers though. 8)

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Love a bit of Eurovision.

Wonder how it'll go down being in Israel.

That UK songs sounds so bad, that it might actually end up mid-table.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Big bump and here we go for next week when we hear that glorious music signalling the greatest televisual event of the year 8) :wnk:

Eurovision legends Kevin and Shedboy will be there. 8) :prayer: Others will be there, including those who say they hate, but really love the camp, the kitsch, the fun and the fanny. Plus a bonus this year. Watch the FA Cup final, have a breather and straight on to the show.

Gone blind so far and sadly having to work Tuesday and Thursday nights for the semis so intend a Friday morning double semi session to get prepped and pumped for finals day.

Dates for the diary:

First semi-final - Tuesday 14 May at 8pm on BBC4. UK viewers are not allowed to vote. Top ten go through:

Cyprus
Montenegro
Finland
Poland
Slovenia
Czech Republic
Hungary
Belarus
Serbia
Belgium
Georgia
Australia
Iceland
Estonia
Portugal
Greece
San Marino

Second semi-final - Thursday 16 May at 8pm on BBC4. Uk viewers can vote on this semi. Top ten go through:

Armenia
Ireland
Moldova
Switzerland
Latvia
Romania
Denmark
Sweden
Austria
Croatia
Malta
Lithuania
Russia
Albania
Norway
The Netherlands
North Macedonia (Formerly err the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia}
Azerbaijan

Eurovision 2019 Grand Final - Saturday 18 May at 8pm on BBC1. The twenty semi-finalist plus the big 5 (UK, Germany, France, Spain and Italy) and hosts Israel. Three songs of those will be shown in each semi.

Current odds: https://www.oddschecker.com/tv/eurovision/winner

As per, gone blind so far, bar hearing the UK shit in 'A Song for Europe', but here is a recap of all 41 songs. Might well have a dip in later:

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

kevin04 wrote:Love a bit of Eurovision.

Yep in that well known European country again. And wtf are the Roos doing in it?
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

All those pale into insignificance when compared with 'My Lovely Horse,' with Ted and Dougal

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

I enjoy the Eurovision drinking game, gets out of hand very quickly but makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Zambo wrote:
kevin04 wrote:Love a bit of Eurovision.

Yep in that well known European country again. And wtf are the Roos doing in it?

I think, although Carlos is the Eurovision expert on here, that they were invited for the 50th anniversary - its huge there in Oz thanks to all the European immigration - and have been in it ever since. They seem to have a decent record too of getting through the semi final and in to the final. Wonder if they won it, would they host it or would be a ''Australia LIVE FROM London/Dublin/Glasgow/Cardiff'' :rolleyes:

I was working but had it on in the background. Not heard a lick of it until last night.

Czech Republic - sounded quite funky, glad they got through.
Slovenia - different, and happy its through.
Iceland - meh, but its about 10/1 so felt it would make the final.
San Marino - YES! Very cheesy, but a fun song. And well done the wee nation of 32,000 people -represented by a Turkish dentist. :D

Poland, Montenegro, Belarus, were all pretty poor, IMO.

But what's great about this program is that if you hear the songs enough, they'll all grow on you. So the key is to go in cold turkey so you don't end up a Eurovision loon.

I'll be free on Thursday night and Saturday too, so no doubt I'll be posting my thoughts in here with fellow EV fans Carlos and Shedders. 8)
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Will watch both semis on Friday morning as working Kevin. But yep, Oz were invited for the 60th anniversary show in Vienna in 2015, because of the fans there. Wasn't keen but could have tolerated as a one off as was supposed to be. Hate them there now.

But it's also about being a member of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) who produce the show. Oz are members. Morocco have competed before and Lebanon and Tunisia have expressed interest.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Second semi on BBC4 tonight at 8pm for those interested. As per will watch tomorrow.