This Time with Alan Partridge

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
black_guardian

Re: This Time with Alan Partridge

Post by black_guardian »

Lou Grant wrote:You will be mist made me lol.

Overall it's watchable enough, but nothing special. When the history guy came on at the end, I just thought Simon & Garfunkel and wished I was watching The Detectorists instead. (Partridge seems very mundane if you watch Fleabag that was also returning last night).

People do this all the time. When an old comedy character comes back they immediately compare it to what's on now, as if the comparison is valid (it's not, if anything it's lazy as both are different shows and characters).

I remember when series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge came out, everyone kept moaning "why can't it be more like The Office" which was out the year before and still on everyone's minds.

Episode 2 was decent but made all the better when it took a dark turn towards the end. For me, it was highlighting that hypocrisy when people start saying they really loved a personality who has just died...only to quickly go vague when their misdemeanors come to light. The phrase "we were close" quickly changes to "I didn't know him that well.." We've seen a lot of that in the last 10 years..
<Doctor...you will die for this...!>

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Episode 3 was the best so far. Still some shite, Simon needs binning, though ha at Michael, pregnant nudes and Edmonds on Partidge's iPad. Sexual frisson with dolly Jenny building, her more touchy, please at least on upskirt though soon. :oops: :wnk:

Some great lines, Alan back to being Alan, "Ordinarily at these meetings, they call me Mr Berocca, because I'm literally fizzing with ideas...But today I was more like flat pop."

Raising it above the previous two to a Carlos 7.5/10. It's not vintage, but a good year.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Reg

Post by Reg »

Bring back The Rag Trade and The Navy Lark.

Do it for Boozios.
Roy IN!!

black_guardian

Post by black_guardian »

Carlos J wrote:Episode 3 was the best so far. Still some shite, Simon needs binning, though ha at Michael, pregnant nudes and Edmonds on Partidge's iPad. Sexual frisson with dolly Jenny building, her more touchy, please at least on upskirt though soon. :oops: :wnk:

Some great lines, Alan back to being Alan, "Ordinarily at these meetings, they call me Mr Berocca, because I'm literally fizzing with ideas...But today I was more like flat pop."

Raising it above the previous two to a Carlos 7.5/10. It's not vintage, but a good year.

The corporal punishment bit was the most creepy bit of Partridge I have ever seen...

Sidekick Simon should be sent on location Chegwin-style and make a total balls up when talking to the general public. In the studio, it doesn't work.

Harry Lemon

Post by Harry Lemon »

I'd love to say I agree with all these people who are watching this series and are seeing the funniest show of the decade and the funniest bits of Partridge that have ever existed but what I've actually seen so far are two slightly-underwhelming episodes with no more than a couple of laughs in followed by two episodes that were going the same way until a good last 10 minutes.

I can see why people thought the bit with the sex doll was the highlight of the series so far but I personally thought the bit about corporal punishment was funnier, especially the demonstration on the dummy. :)

Hopefully, the series will end on a high with two great episodes.

Clivert

Post by Clivert »

This week’s one was by far the best, especially the Partridge look a like bit at the end.

black_guardian

Post by black_guardian »

I think, unintentionally, the bit about tracking the dog campaigners going to Downing Street seems to echo the farce of the Brexit march.

I wonder if their GPS software worked...well they've got another 2 weeks now so can afford to take it easy.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Some of it has been okay, but most hasn't. I think it would have worked best as a one hour special.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Brilliant stuff,

I have binged on all four episodes this past two nights.

I missed out on Alan back in the day,,...it is only Rupe’s meme where Al is calling for Dan made me familiar with the character before this.

Great show.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

black_guardian

Post by black_guardian »

Tonight's sequence with Alan being questioned at the police station echoed the exploits of a certain TS breakfast show host.

Maybe someone can post a video link to remind us...if it's better to breathe in or breathe out? :lol:

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

black_guardian wrote:Tonight's sequence with Alan being questioned at the police station echoed the exploits of a certain TS breakfast show host.

Maybe someone can post a video link to remind us...if it's better to breathe in or breathe out? :lol:

Aha:

Alan inevitably off the BBC again. :( Overall, another decent episode and en enjoyable series. It's not vintage Partridge, will never match 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' or 'I'm Alan Partridge' but will give it an overall Carlos 7/10. But it's an older, not wiser Alan who from a nervous start thought he was back in with the BBC only to fuck up again. Might have to watch again as saw some with distractions

Harry Lemon

Post by Harry Lemon »

Harry Lemon wrote:I'd love to say I agree with all these people who are watching this series and are seeing the funniest show of the decade and the funniest bits of Partridge that have ever existed but what I've actually seen so far are two slightly-underwhelming episodes with no more than a couple of laughs in followed by two episodes that were going the same way until a good last 10 minutes.

I can see why people thought the bit with the sex doll was the highlight of the series so far but I personally thought the bit about corporal punishment was funnier, especially the demonstration on the dummy. :)

Hopefully, the series will end on a high with two great episodes.

Well last week's episode was very good but I thought the finale was a disappointment as it was like the first two episodes, i.e slightly-underwhelming with no more than a couple of laugh out loud moments in it.

I realise other people will have seen something completely different to me again. I've seen three reviews so far, two gave it 5 stars and said it was great whilst the other said the series ended on a damp squib and gave it 2 stars!

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Carlos J wrote:
black_guardian wrote:Tonight's sequence with Alan being questioned at the police station echoed the exploits of a certain TS breakfast show host.

Aha:

Alan inevitably off the BBC again. :( Overall, another decent episode and en enjoyable series. It's not vintage Partridge, will never match 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' or 'I'm Alan Partridge' but will give it an overall Carlos 7/10. But it's an older, not wiser Alan who from a nervous start thought he was back in with the BBC only to fuck up again. Might have to watch again as saw some with distractions

How the cunt wasn't sacked for that I'll never know.

Haven't taken to AP at all this series, that character has run its course IMO.
There's no poem, just prose.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Was funny with Boozil when End started chronicling his attendance record, he had his best ever, leading to new contract. Since then, same old Mondays and post-holiday days off. He doesn't care, if they sack him, they'll be a clamour to get him back as his post-Chelnum sacking. Some fools love the carefree, careless boozer, man of the people type, who never pays.

Maybe with the move to News HQ, some dicks in HR might actually have a word, though doubt it for reasons above.

Had a work colleague like that, was a good worker and not on anywhere near Boozil's salary, but didn't give a fuck about petty rules. Always used to say, "if they don't like it, they can sack me." Most amusing was she left and then realised the grass wasn't greener and wanted her old job back, but too late as had been replaced.

And maybe about Partridge, fall from grace and bouncing back done now twice, maybe time to hang up the mic. Read his biographies but only recently got the audiobooks and even better, and having a knowledge of Norfolk does add extra.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Just watched the feminist episode (5) which WAS funny.

The ending had me laughing out loud.
Roy IN!!