After Life

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
ikhlaq786

After Life

Post by ikhlaq786 »

Even though I do not think Ricky Gervais is funny or has talent I watched After Life. It's a story about a man who loses his wife to Cancer and becomes a really cantankerous git. When I started I really started to empathise with the character and characters in the show. I literally started to binge watch it and could not stop, all the way to the end and I have to say the ending was brilliant. Definitely worth watching.
"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Re: After Life

Post by Basualdo »

Seen that recommended but wasn't sure. I might give it a go now.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Blimey. I thought we were about to get the Ouija Board out reading the title thread. :D

ikhlaq786

Post by ikhlaq786 »

m4rkb wrote:Blimey. I thought we were about to get the Ouija Board out reading the title thread. :D

:lol: :lol:
"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

ikhlaq786 wrote:Even though I do not think Ricky Gervais is funny or has talent I watched After Life.

I think that's the bit that would put me off on first impressions. The Office was supposed to be 'hilarious' but I found it only watchable and mildly amusing myself and Gervaise is like Den Watts to me- every character he plays is basically himself.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Started watching it. Noticed that Gervaise tends to use recurring actors and actresses across a number of his shows such as the excellent Kerry Godliman who was also in Derek, Life Is Short and Extras. Gervaise comes across as a David Bent like prize twat but I do enjoy his shows and he must be doing something right.

Panbaams

Post by Panbaams »

The Office was great. It’s been diminishing returns since then.
I used to be quite popular round here, you know.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

His stand up is piss funny though.

His TV shows tend to be shit, loved the office, extras was........ er... reasonable, those films he made though, total shite.

Heard great things about this though, and Ive seen the clip where he calls a child a ginger cunt, so this looks pretty fucking good.
Build Back More Betterer

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

Haven’t really caught much of Gervais output since the Office. Saw a few bits of Extra’s here and there but not much.

Watched the first two episodes of After Life today and it had me laughing and crying in equal measures. It’s very moving.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

The best thing any cast member of The Office has done since then is Detecorists.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

Yeah, Detectorists is great.

Loved The Office. Hated everything else RG has done on TV since. Derek was utter shite and the low point IMO.

Gave this a go and thought it was very good. Deffo 8.5/10. Would have preferred the cuntiness of the earlier episodes to have carried on though - as they were the funnier moments - rather than reaching a satisfying conclusion.

If you've lost loved ones you will find it quite emotional in places.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I like gervais but he’s not half as funny or talented as he thinks he is. I do like this new series but it’s quite similar in style to a lot of his other work. Not many lol moments . He copied a lot of his comedy stylings from some of American idols such as Larry David and Gary shandling
Man U and rangers

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Love his stand up but other than some of the office haven’t really been a fan, read a few harsh reviews of this groaning on about how it did nothing for mental health but it’s more about grief than anything else.

Also read someone saying it had them crying in sadness and then laughing with those tears still in their eyes, I concur, maybe not genius but close.
Brilliantly Honest

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

About as funny as a thrombosed hemorrhoid.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Zambo wrote:About as funny as a thrombosed hemorrhoid.

Though that's pretty damn funny if its on somebody else.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.