After Life

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
kancutlawns

Re: After Life

Post by kancutlawns »

Basualdo wrote:
Zambo wrote:About as funny as a thrombosed hemorrhoid.

Though that's pretty damn funny if its on somebody else.

Like Adrian Durham.

kevin04

After Life

Post by kevin04 »

Gervais with possibly his best series? Maybe a bit hyperbole, but After Life is brilliant, IMO.

The 'wall paper' had me from a bubbling wreck into laughter. Perfect acting from both, especially the actor who plays his Dad.

If you don't like Gervais, you probably won't like this as it's similar to his previous stuff but if you do like him, you seen a new layer to his acting/production. Reallyooking forward to Series 2.

Penelope Keith was superb as well. Only character I didn't particularly care for was the Charlie Brooker etc with the northern English accent, but I find her boring in everything she does.

Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

It's absolute crap. Worst thing he's ever done. Even worse than Derek. Embarrassing, mawkish, poorly-written shite.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I agree with Gout

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Jon Gout wrote:It's absolute crap. Worst thing he's ever done. Even worse than Derek. Embarrassing, mawkish, poorly-written shite.

Funny I think he is exceptional in all of these.
Who floats your boat cos Norman Wisdom is dead you know.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

There's already a thread on After Life.

https://www.talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31204

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

The problem with Gervais is he's a man of very few ideas, that's why he keeps repeating himself throughout his career. Merchant acted as quality control so the earlier stuff when they worked together could be quite good, but After Life is basically a compilation of jokes and lines Gervais has already used before. Even the premise is basically the same as that film he did where he couldn't lie.

The "sad" moments stand out like a sore dick in After Life and Derek because they're so badly written you can almost see the strings being pulled. They're the comedy-drama equivalents of an X Factor sob story, a bit of Coldplay over the top so you know you're supposed to be tearing up. Derek was worse for it with Gervais gurning at the camera with tears in his eyes every five minutes, repeating the same shite over and over about overworked nurses and forgotten old biddies long after he'd already made the point. He obviously decided to only play to the thick, easily-manipulated crowd at some point, and fair play to him because it obviously worked.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote:There's already a thread on After Life.

https://www.talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31204

Spotters badge to you, kancut. :smt023 Merged.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

:) Thanks Carlos.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Jon Gout wrote:The problem with Gervais is he's a man of very few ideas, that's why he keeps repeating himself throughout his career. Merchant acted as quality control so the earlier stuff when they worked together could be quite good, but After Life is basically a compilation of jokes and lines Gervais has already used before. Even the premise is basically the same as that film he did where he couldn't lie.

The "sad" moments stand out like a sore dick in After Life and Derek because they're so badly written you can almost see the strings being pulled. They're the comedy-drama equivalents of an X Factor sob story, a bit of Coldplay over the top so you know you're supposed to be tearing up. Derek was worse for it with Gervais gurning at the camera with tears in his eyes every five minutes, repeating the same shite over and over about overworked nurses and forgotten old biddies long after he'd already made the point. He obviously decided to only play to the thick, easily-manipulated crowd at some point, and fair play to him because it obviously worked.

Oh dear and he has such a large following too ,an acquired taste maybe that has bypassed your palate.
All people who have a contrary view to you are labelled thick and easily manipulated.
This seems a common theme with you when people do not share your view.
A tad pompous and more grist to my mill.
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

I did acquire the taste pretty early - liked him on XFM, The 11 O'Clock Show, The Office and then Extras (to some extent, since that's when the cracks began to show). There's only so much one can stomach of the same material and ideas repeated again and again though. He only ever plays one character too (himself) and every other character he writes is two dimensional, only existing to keep repeating what a great person he is. Derek was exactly the same. Wow you're amazing, don't you know how nice you are, you're brilliant you, don't be so hard on yourself, I'm so glad I know you, you're so very kind you know... with Coldplay blasting over it just in case you didn't work out you're supposed to have tears in your eyes.

An audience being too stupid to tell when they're being manipulated into having an emotional reaction to some crap greetings card philosophy isn't having a contrary view :lol: It's having crap taste. But then, I suppose you can't really blame them.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

So early stuff great ,later stuff crap.That's fair enough but because fans get his cringeworthy later comedy they are not thick or easily manipulated. They get Mr Gervais that's all, you don't .
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Jon Gout wrote:I did acquire the taste pretty early - liked him on XFM, The 11 O'Clock Show, The Office and then Extras (to some extent, since that's when the cracks began to show). There's only so much one can stomach of the same material and ideas repeated again and again though. He only ever plays one character too (himself) and every other character he writes is two dimensional, only existing to keep repeating what a great person he is. Derek was exactly the same. Wow you're amazing, don't you know how nice you are, you're brilliant you, don't be so hard on yourself, I'm so glad I know you, you're so very kind you know... with Coldplay blasting over it just in case you didn't work out you're supposed to have tears in your eyes.

An audience being too stupid to tell when they're being manipulated into having an emotional reaction to some crap greetings card philosophy isn't having a contrary view :lol: It's having crap taste. But then, I suppose you can't really blame them.

Can you please stick to posts like this so we can have a moment of mutual agreement.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Must admit that if I see a comedian once and he's a pile of shite I never bother again, so I can't really form an opinion on Gervais. Pilkipedia reckons he's an unfunny twat, so that will have to do.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I've never found him more than vaguely amusing which is at least some degree of positivity.

I've ran a few offices in my time and they were a lot more humorous than his effort.