Game of thrones

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
theleader82

Game of thrones

Post by theleader82 »

Is it worth getting into this series now or is it too late? I was put off from watching because some fans of the show seem proper nerdy and obsessive, and some people only watch because it’s seen as the trendy show to watch and they don’t want to feel left out.
Man U and rangers

Jon Gout

Re: Game of thrones

Post by Jon Gout »

It starts averagely, gets good, then turns proper shit. I'd wait to see how the last season is received before starting it.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

It is worth a binge, lots to fast forward.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

I finally dipped my toe in and started watching the first series three weeks ago. It’s not bad but not that much in the way of bonking so far so the jury’s out tbf.

Set a tentative end date for getting up to date by the end of June which seems reasonable but the sunny evenings and my interest in Brexit on TV has slowed things down somewhat of late.

Leado, why are you so concerned about becoming “nerdy and obsessive” by watching a popular TV series? :?

Reg

Post by Reg »

It’s better than talkSPORT.
Roy IN!!

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

About 7 years ago I remember someone saying something to the effect of "this is going to run for a long time so you'd better start watching it." Errr, no. If anything is going to make me not want to watch something it's that.
I saw a few clips and it looked like a load of dungeons & dragons wank.
I've seen people justify watching it by saying "it has tits in it!" Well, errr, I have the internet.

Oh and that advert with Martin Freeman walking through a train carriage and everyone is watching the same thing on their phones, is that the Game Of Thrones theme music??
I really am a biatch

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Last season was basically the Walking Dead with dragons but overall it's been a fantastic show.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Reg wrote:It’s better than talkSPORT.

Having your fingernails removed with pliers is better than talkSPORT
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

If you like this type of genre, it absolutely top notch telly.
Godwin's law

Northern Troglodite

Post by Northern Troglodite »

New season has to improve .last season was v average
Bring on "The Clutcher :)

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

As a kid, I remember reading 'Dying of the Light'. I thought it was rather good. I always recommend reading books. Give this one a try. It's about 350 pages which in my opinion is a little too long, but still about half the length of the fantasy stuff he churns out now.

(Disclaimer - it might be shit, I was about 13 when I read it.)
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Panbaams

Post by Panbaams »

On the face of it it’s the sort of thing that’s not my cup of tea, and I’ve got no intention of ever reading the books. But I enjoy it a great deal. I’d recommend it. It’s one of these big, ambitious TV shows like The Sopranos, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire that American TV can do proper justice to.

But what I’d recommend even more: don’t worry about what other people think of it, or why they’re watching it. When the books were ahead of the TV show there seemed to be a whole load of Game of Thrones “fans” watching the show with a checklist, seemingly not really enjoying the show on its own merits but rather ticking off events from the books. It seems such a joyless way of watching something.

As soon as the TV show got past the point where the books have (currently) ended, there seemed to be a lot more people saying that it’s not as good as it was. Nothing to do with the fact that they’re now in the same boat as the rest of us and don’t know what’s coming next, I’m sure.
I used to be quite popular round here, you know.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Most people who watch the show never read the books. People didn't think it had turned to shit because they didn't know what was coming, it was because the showrunners had to start making up a lot of the plot, so it wasn't as well-paced or thought out as when they were working to the books. Characters treading water while they thought of what to do with them (Arya, Bran, etc), plot holes, deus ex machinas, inconsistent timelines, ideas that never went anywhere (all that stuff in Done). The drop in quality was because the writers weren't adapting fantasy novels for television anymore, they were writing a fantasy television show. Basically fan-fiction.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Jon Gout wrote:Most people who watch the show never read the books. People didn't think it had turned to shit because they didn't know what was coming, it was because the showrunners had to start making up a lot of the plot, so it wasn't as well-paced or thought out as when they were working to the books. Characters treading water while they thought of what to do with them (Arya, Bran, etc), plot holes, deus ex machinas, inconsistent timelines, ideas that never went anywhere (all that stuff in Done). The drop in quality was because the writers weren't adapting fantasy novels for television anymore, they were writing a fantasy television show. Basically fan-fiction.

Precisely.
Roy IN!!

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

They left a Starbucks coffee cup in the show. Lol.
Man U and rangers