James O'Brien

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
JudgeTedd

Re: James O'Brien

Post by JudgeTedd »

Although I don’t always agree with everything O’Brien says (who would agree with everything someone else says?), what he’s done in the last few years has been eye opening.

By checking facts, there was a great interview with Ralf Little involving Jeremy Hunt about this, and getting people who call a national radio station to explain the phrases they’ve just said is so simple.

When someone comes on and parrot-like fashion repeats what they’ve read in a paper, it’s amazing how quickly they start to struggle when asked a few basic questions ie “What does that actually mean?”.

What they say may work down the pub/work or with their mates, but when you have people who do this stuff for a living on too, it’s a wonder they even try.

People really don’t like having to explain why they believe what they do. Especially when they struggle to do so.

That and Mystery Hour ALWAYS makes me chuckle. :lol:
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

He's on top of his game and just about the most impartial interviewer a political debate could have as a frontman. He's head and shoulders above anything the BBC has to offer, excluding Andrew Neil.

For a start he knows every single policy detail of every party better than their person sent there to defend it.

Dale is a class act.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

m4rkb wrote:He's on top of his game and just about the most impartial interviewer a political debate could have as a frontman. He's head and shoulders above anything the BBC has to offer, excluding Andrew Neil.

For a start he knows every single policy detail of every party better than their person sent there to defend it.

Dale is a class act.

:lol: He’s not impartial at all. He’s as pig headed, stuffy and one eyed as any other Brexiteer out there.

Policy detail is as boring as fuck and he has to be a particularly sad individual to regurgitate clear lies from say the Conservative or Brexit Party manifestos. No one wants to take him up on it because it’s cheaper than mogadon to fall asleep on.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

m4rkb wrote:He's on top of his game and just about the most impartial interviewer a political debate could have as a frontman. He's head and shoulders above anything the BBC has to offer, excluding Andrew Neil.

Dale is a class act.

Dale is a genuine political geek but that's no bad thing. I don't always align with some of his politics but he's a good broadcaster.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

paolo

Post by paolo »

black_guardian wrote:
paolo wrote:
MGA99 wrote:Definitely doing the right thing if he's yanking the chain of the last two contributors :dart:

Racist

Talking about yourself again, Paolo? If so, then even I'd say that's a bit harsh.

"National revisionist" would be more apt. You want to go back in time when all the non-whites just stayed under colonial rule, eh?

Remember: with Brexit comes trade deals and with trade deals come more brown, black and multi-ethnic faces. Immigration will go off the scale...and I guess you'll just have to love it.

Mair is the only presenter who just enjoys taking the piss - he knows what a phoney deal politics is. I don't blame him for taking the paycheck at LBC.

Dale is the Tory panto Dame. Still here with nowhere to go to..

I just support common sense

And brexit
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

MGA99

Post by MGA99 »

JudgeTedd wrote:Although I don’t always agree with everything O’Brien says (who would agree with everything someone else says?), what he’s done in the last few years has been eye opening.

By checking facts, there was a great interview with Ralf Little involving Jeremy Hunt about this, and getting people who call a national radio station to explain the phrases they’ve just said is so simple.

When someone comes on and parrot-like fashion repeats what they’ve read in a paper, it’s amazing how quickly they start to struggle when asked a few basic questions ie “What does that actually mean?”.

What they say may work down the pub/work or with their mates, but when you have people who do this stuff for a living on too, it’s a wonder they even try.

People really don’t like having to explain why they believe what they do. Especially when they struggle to do so.

That and Mystery Hour ALWAYS makes me chuckle. :lol:

Correct, if you want people, be they ordinary members of the public or politicians, to have their bellies tickled and let their manifestly inaccurate views, opinions and specious soundbites to go unchallenged then you have 98% of the rest of the written and broadcasting media to tune into.

Frankly if there had been more speaking truth to power we wouldn't have let the prevailing narrative run away with itself which currently sees the only two contenders for the next Prime Minister of this country falling over each other to persuade us how hard they like their Brexit and how good it would be for us all

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Dale is a class act.

That's the Dale who has been chairing the Tory hustings- that one?
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Hillman avenger wrote:

Dale is a class act.

That's the Dale who has been chairing the Tory hustings- that one?

Have you watched him on any of them ?
There's no poem, just prose.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Iain Dale is a good listen. Anyone who tunes in to his shows, as I do, knows he doesn't let inaccuracy off the hook or politicians get away with pulling the wool over peoples' eyes without being picked up on it.

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Not been a member of the Conservative party for 9 years and he’s not voted for them the last 3 times he’s been to the ballot box.
There's no poem, just prose.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

But still wheeled out as a commentator on Tory matters.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you