What's your favourite streaming service? And do you still bother with 'old fashioned' TV?

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related

What streaming service do you prefer?

Netflix?
36%
Amazon Prime?
55%
Now TV?
9%
Britbox?
No votes
Apple TV?
No votes
Other (through VPN)?
No votes

Total votes: 11

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

What's your favourite streaming service? And do you still bother with 'old fashioned' TV?

Post by Basualdo »

I didn't see one regular scheduled network TV show over Christmas.
I think it may have been the same last year too.
Apart from the Apprentice and the What We Do In The Shadows import (both of which I mostly recorded anyway) I doubt I've watched regular TV at all for most of the year. In fact the only time I'll be tuning in to regular network telly is when the Euros, World Cup or the occasional Irish League game is on. We sometimes get a few of the latter on Friday nights on BBC2 NI.

All my viewing is on streaming services. And handsome, suave and sophisticated as I am, I'm still not in the age bracket who are meant to be savvy with the cutting edge of these developments.
So if an old bastard like me isn't watching network shit, then who the fuck still is?

Apart from females and their fucking soaps, dancing and Cowellite shit.

I hear at least 15 heterosexual men watched ITV last year. And 12 of them were drunk, confused and trying to find Babestation.

So have you totally abandoned or are abandoning old fashioned telly?
And if you have what service do you use? And what shows or features do you like from them?

I love Amazon Prime at the moment. The content isn't as extensive as some others, but the quality of their stuff is light years ahead.

Netflix I still use, but it has gone downhill badly and, if the decision was left to me, I would cancel after the new F is for Family drops. Though the Witcher is good for some escapist fun.
I had Now TV but cancelled after the GoT fiasco of season 8, its nice that I can just use it on a month to month basis though. I might in future if Sky show anything worth watching.

Britbox can suck my hairy plums. I already pay those paedo BBC robdogs e-fucking-nough without shelling out more of my hard earned. As someone here said (& forgive me if it was you but I've forgotten who) "I shell out 150 quid a year so Doctor fucking Who can tell me I'm a racist."

Apple TV I didn't know was actually up and running. Is it? Because I haven't heard of anyone who has it.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Vespa

Re: What's your favourite streaming service? And do you still bother with 'old fashioned' TV?

Post by Vespa »

Netflix has a much better interface, Amazon video needs some work.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Re: What's your favourite streaming service? And do you still bother with 'old fashioned' TV?

Post by Basualdo »

That's true. But they all lack a capable user friendly search function.
Proud Gammon

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Got 3 of the fuckers ,I was happy with freeview only, but the Mem Sahib wears the trousers.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Bas, you say Amazon Prime has some good stuff - please elaborate, and give examples.

I have a free six-month subscription at the moment, but apart from a couple of football matches and the film “I, Tonya” I haven’t been able to find anything of interest.
Roy IN!!

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

I prefer YouTube and Spotify these days, most television content is abysmal. Although I have Virgin Media: TCM, UK Gold, Dave, Sky One, Comedy Central, access to box-sets, sports channels and movies (Sky Cinema, Virgin Movies), I watch very few channels and am considering cancelling my subscription and keeping Freeview, or perhaps returning to Netflix or trying Amazon Prime.
I love Talking Pictures TV and occasionally enjoy the BBC (especially BBC Four) and ITV, all of which are available on Freeview and / or iPlayer.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Reg, watch Bosch on Amazon Prime. It's great.
The Boys is very good as well.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Reg wrote:Bas, you say Amazon Prime has some good stuff - please elaborate, and give examples.

I have a free six-month subscription at the moment, but apart from a couple of football matches and the film “I, Tonya” I haven’t been able to find anything of interest.

Amazon for me as well Reg, loads of excellent series. I'll probably never view everything I've got on my Watchlist, but here are a few

Outlander, Vikings, Bosch, Carnival Row, Texas Rising, Hell on Wheels, The Man in the High Castle, Golliath, Preacher, Black Sails
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

I heartily endorse Vespa's choices and most of Zambo's, Reg. And those of Zam's I don't recommend is only because I haven't seen them.
Proud Gammon

antdad

Post by antdad »

Catching up with Gomorra on Prime, paying xtra for past series but it makes The Sopranos look like a tea party.

black_guardian

Post by black_guardian »

Netflix is still the best all rounder. Cancelled my Sky boxes as the free channels that come with freesat are fine anyway. Virgin tv boxes are clunky, Now TV is a rip off and BT will be stuffed as soon as Amazon or another tech giant outbids them for football.

Old terrestrial TV is dead.

Today you need a genuinely fast internet connection to get access to any kind of in house entertainment. 200MB broadband minimum.

Highly recommend Ken Burn's 10 part documentary on the Vietnam War. Brilliantly made and soundtracked.
<Doctor...you will die for this...!>

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

Amazon Prime has far more variety. Netflix is mainly sci-fi, fantasy and horror orientated now.

Now TV is ok with the bonus of seeing all the non film / sports Sky programmes from their live schedule.

Talking Pictures is the best TV station
Godwin's law

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Like 'old fashion tv' for the films. Watched The Big Country yesterday, brilliant film with people who could act. Christmas was yet another washout, a complete shambles.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Re Talking Pics – I agree, it's brilliant! Good for vintage fashion tips, too.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

black_guardian wrote:[..] BT will be stuffed as soon as Amazon or another tech giant outbids them for football.
I don't watch football but Prime seems to have games on it now.