Netflix and Amazon during outbreak of COVID-19

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Bad Blue 2000

Re: Netflix and Amazon during outbreak of COVID-19

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Basualdo wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:On a similar note, and not sure if I should have started a new thread for this, - but has anyone got any favourite pure escapist youtube channels that may be worth sharing?
I'm struggling to avoid cabin fever already, and I'm painfully aware we are only at the very beginning.

What are you into?

Movies, TV or nerdy culture?
Red Letter Media: It's genuinely funny, especially their Best of the Worst series were they watch 3 really bad movies to se which one is the worst of the three (sometimes its just random videos, not even movies) and then rip the shit out of them, usually while getting drunker as they go along.

Nerdrotic: Great takes on TV, movies and comics if you're into them too.

Critical Drinker: A Scottish novelist reviews movies and TV shows using the guise of a slightly drunk cynic. Often really funny and on the nose too.

RLM is the best channel on YT.
Critical Drinker can be funny.
Nerdrotic is way too humourless and 'anti-woke'...yawn.

A good channel in a similar vein is Double Toasted, very funny presenters.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

^^
Also, HISHE(How it should have ended)

Cinema Sins-Very funny film criticism.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Basualdo wrote:Is there any sort of things in particular you're looking for?

Dark, sinister, psychological, gritty dramas.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

kancutlawns wrote:
Basualdo wrote:Is there any sort of things in particular you're looking for?

Dark, sinister, psychological, gritty dramas.

The first season of Man in the High Castle is good.
It goes rapidly downhill after that.
The story is that the Nazis got the bomb first and dropped it on Washington in early 45.
The Yanks withdrew from the war which the Nazis won and then a Nazi putsch took over the US incorporating it into a greater global Reich.
They divided North America between themselves and Japan with the Rocky Mtn States as a neutral buffer zone between the German east and Japananese west coasts.
Now its the early 60s and the two former allies are not getting along and war looks inevitable. And authentic looking newsreel films are somehow emerging among resistance groups that show the allies winning the war and the bomb being dropped on Japan instead of Washington.
Both sides gear up their intelligence services to find out who is disseminating these films against the backdrop of the jockeying for conflict. The only thing they have to go on is that the distributor is known by the codename of The Man in the High Castle.

Like I said the first season is great, the second less so but still okay, then it falls off a cliff in the third. I never bothered with the fourth and final one. But two wonderful performances by Rufus Sewell as SS Obergruppenfuhrer John Smith, the top Nazi in the US, in an honestly fantastically nuanced role. And the guy who plays Inspector Kido the head of the Japanese secret police in Japanese America. The female lead is one of the most wooden actresses I've ever seen. And I've seen Rihanna act.

The Expanse.

Hard core dark Sci Fi intrigue and politicking.
Wonderful show that getting better and better.
What the new embarrassing Star trek abortions, in their wildest dreams, wished they could come anywhere near to being.
I'm trying to think of anything that's wrong with it but I just can't. A practically faultless show.
The usual leading female protagonist who beats the shit out of men, but looks like she actually could. And she still looks mighty fine.

And you will want to learn Beltalowda, the half cockney/half South African sounding creole of the asteroid belt colonists.
Mi bet to will, beratna, sasa ke?
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:On a similar note, and not sure if I should have started a new thread for this, - but has anyone got any favourite pure escapist youtube channels that may be worth sharing?
I'm struggling to avoid cabin fever already, and I'm painfully aware we are only at the very beginning.

What are you into?

Movies, TV or nerdy culture?
Red Letter Media: It's genuinely funny, especially their Best of the Worst series were they watch 3 really bad movies to se which one is the worst of the three (sometimes its just random videos, not even movies) and then rip the shit out of them, usually while getting drunker as they go along.

Nerdrotic: Great takes on TV, movies and comics if you're into them too.

Critical Drinker: A Scottish novelist reviews movies and TV shows using the guise of a slightly drunk cynic. Often really funny and on the nose too.

RLM is the best channel on YT.
Critical Drinker can be funny.
Nerdrotic is way too humourless and 'anti-woke'...yawn.

A good channel in a similar vein is Double Toasted, very funny presenters.

How can something be too anti-woke?
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

'I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.' Johannes Kepler

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Well come the weekend I'm going to be bored shirtless.
So binging will be the order of the day. I desperately need cheering up.
I will be cracking out my daughters old PlayStation thingy to play dvds on.
First up will be the special edition Lord of The Rings dvds, that should pass a week or two. :)
The Godfather 1 & 2 dvds.
Unforgiven, Critical Drinker's most recent review of it reminded me I had the dvd.
LA Confidential, Christ I love that film, even Spacey won't put me off. "Rollo...Tomassi..."

Then hit Amazon and Netflix.
I might give The Witcher a second chance. I heard it was good but thought it was only okay. And not okay enough to go beyond the 4th episode. Yennifer is shit hot though.
I hear Tiger King is good. Its a docu and I know a bit about the story and won't say anything about it other than its insane, so insane the story actually beggars belief. It would be interesting to go on totally clueless. Though, you might need someone to pi k up your jaws from the floor. I hope its as crazy and entertaining as the similar sounding Evil Genius docu about the Erie pizza bomber. That ricocheted and pinged from one barely credible bout of insanity or character to the next even crazier one.
Not too much more I want to see On Netflix at a cursory glance tbh.
On Amazon I'm going to rebinge on Bosch as the new series is dropping in a few weeks.
Also going to do the same with the Expanse because it's the Expanse, the best Sci fi anything I've seen in decades.

I got a Disney + password but there's nothing on it at first glance that grabs me. I'm not into Marvel cape shit and was hating Disney decades before it was trendy. I refuse to even acknowledge their Star Wars abortions, except I might try the Mandalorian because I heard its passably good and not infected with the potholed subversion of the movies. We'll see. And I'm only doing that because I'm not paying the rodent bastard.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

ToRmAtO wrote:If you want something a bit different and funny try Rake on Netflix, think there is 5 series of this Australian gem.

This is a cracking series,rough as a badgers 8)
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

Vespa wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:
Vespa wrote:Disney Plus launched in the UK today, I've got it - lovely content from star wars to snow white. They have Nat Geo at well.

Thanks forgot about this, just found the app on our LGTV, loaded it in and took the subscription. Heaps of content for £60 a year.

We got the £49 deal, but £60 is a bargain.

I presume with the 7-day free trial that they have only put on a limited amount as a taster as there are only 2 episodes of The Mandalorian, which actually has a full season completed. Hopefully, everything will be available after the 7 day period the full subscription starts.
Godwin's law

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Anyone seen 'Don't Fuck With Cats'? Only three parts, looks grimly interesting.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Carlos J wrote:Anyone seen 'Don't Fuck With Cats'? Only three parts, looks grimly interesting.

Yeah, well worth a watch - awful twist

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Vespa wrote:
Carlos J wrote:Anyone seen 'Don't Fuck With Cats'? Only three parts, looks grimly interesting.

Ta, Vespa, gonna watch it now, know the background.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Carlos J wrote:
Vespa wrote:

Didn't want to spoil it. Enjoy.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Vespa wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Vespa wrote:

Didn't want to spoil it. Enjoy.

No worries. Read some comments somewhere mentioning this case and the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnepropetrovsk_maniacs due to similararities.

Someone mistakenly posted that video here years ago, fucking awful. :(

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Nerdy "culture" alert :heart:

( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see