The Comey Rules

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Hillman avenger

The Comey Rules

Post by Hillman avenger »

I've been watching The Comey Rules, which I can recommend. It was on Sky Atlantic.

It covers the period 2015 into Comey's departure from the FBI seven months into Trump's time.

I realise it's a drama but it broadly shows the events re Clinton's emails. Russiagate and Flynn. I understand Trump's lawyers ( or at least those left) looked into claiming defamation, but realised it could all be subtantiated.

It shows :

Clinton was reckless with her email regime, and awkward re the enquiry. It was open to hacking, but nothing serious disappeared. The re-opening of the case, just before the election, hurt Clinton electorally, but they had no choice but to do it because they discovered stuff not previously seen. The FBI was screwed whether it did it or it didn't.

Obama tried to play the Russian connection really carefully. It was pretty blatant. They Knew Flynn lied about talking to the Russian ambassador, and then misled Pence. A WH lawyer was puzzled as to why that was a problem...
There were serious discussions about the danger to national security of full disclosure to Trump's people during the transition.

Comey and all the other agency heads saw Trump and his team late 2016 to tell them about the Russian interference. Trump asked could they prove it swung the election, but of course they couldn't ( in the end, no-one could definitively work that out) but then Trump's team announced that the FBI had determined Russia had not interfered ( a lie). Comey drew the short straw and had to tell Trump about the peegate dossier which also showed all the financial links. Trump could not deny the financial stuff, but his answer re peegate was that "he didn't need prostitutes" because women queued up to be with him...

Trump threatened Comey about leaks re the Steele dossier, but Comey had to point out it was not FBI, or even government-owned, material.

Then he met Comey over dinner and effectively told him that he wanted the FBI to be his tool in carrying out politically-based investigations. Comey did not argue to his face but told his team to remember they were there to serve the
country and not the president. After that it was headed for disaster. Trump either never understood, or decided to ignore, how agencies were not there to pursue his personal agenda. His reaction to not getting any evidence of electoral fraud recently suggests he never recognised that.

Eventually the Mueller investigation had to happen to tidy up the Russia story, but was prevented by Trump from establishing whether the undoubted interference was overtly encouraged by his team. This was what Barr deceitfully called "Exoneration" . A number of Trump's people were sacrificed by him , like Stone, but then pardoned or otherwise rewarded in return for silence in the future.

It's an interesting study of what happens when people steeped in democracy encounter a strong force that doesn't care about it.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Vespa

Re: The Comey Rules

Post by Vespa »

I can't stand Comey, he's awful.

Hillman avenger

Re: The Comey Rules

Post by Hillman avenger »

Suggest you give it a watch then.
No doubt it is slanted, but there are events and conversations shown, which could be challenged but which have not been, which demonstrate just how corrupt Trump and his people were.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you