GB News

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Vespa

Re: GB News

Post by Vespa »

The Tick wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:20 am
Vespa wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:27 am I was really looking forward to GB News, I'm a bit of an Andrew Neil fanboy; read his magazine and watch Spectator TV. I had hoped that GBN would have his level of well-researched opinions and like Spectator TV different and interesting voices.

Sadly GBN is FUCKING AWFUL.

I know they are trying to find their feet and they've promised to introduce news bulletins. They even have some excellent talent Tom Harwood, Gloria De Piero and Rosie Wright are very good. Neil Oliver makes me want to stop chemo and take up smoking - he's a massive twat.

The whole channel has the vibe of a mildly racist facebook group.

Such a disappointment.

Not sure why you expected anything different. The channel's intended purpose was to provide a "voice" for the hard right of british politics and society. It was never going to be small c conservative fodder.
Because Neil has a high standard.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Vespa wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:27 am I was really looking forward to GB News ... Sadly, GBN is FUCKING AWFUL.
The whole channel has the vibe of a mildly racist facebook group. Such a disappointment.
I agree whole-heartedly.
I thought it would be a refreshing alternative, speaking to the many who don't quite buy into the assumptions that, for instance, the BBC take as read.
Instead they seem to be appealing to the few foaming nutcases who shout loudly on Twitter but don't represent "us" any more than the statue-topplers.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Jim1981

Post by Jim1981 »

Porky is on.

antdad

Post by antdad »

The master woo'er manages to connect with every incel in the nation...

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

JimmyDee wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:26 pm
Vespa wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:27 am I was really looking forward to GB News ... Sadly, GBN is FUCKING AWFUL.
The whole channel has the vibe of a mildly racist facebook group. Such a disappointment.
I agree whole-heartedly.
I thought it would be a refreshing alternative, speaking to the many who don't quite buy into the assumptions that, for instance, the BBC take as read.
Instead they seem to be appealing to the few foaming nutcases who shout loudly on Twitter but don't represent "us" any more than the statue-topplers.
+1

I recently watched a 1990s Channel 4 current affairs on YouTube. What a difference! It was refreshing to watch people discuss ideas respectively and eloquently without appealing to one tribe.
Shame this format can't be replicated. The Twitter tribes don't represent the country but news channels, from the BBC to GB News, are desperate to appeal to them.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

lambrini wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:18 am
I agree whole-heartedly.
+1

I recently watched a 1990s Channel 4 current affairs on YouTube. What a difference! It was refreshing to watch people discuss ideas respectively and eloquently without appealing to one tribe.
Shame this format can't be replicated. The Twitter tribes don't represent the country but news channels, from the BBC to GB News, are desperate to appeal to them.
One of the big problems is that political leaders refuse to engage in long-form interviews. Johnson for example hasn't done a single one.

That leaves you with half-arsed ten-minute interviews where politicians have mastered the art of talking themselves out of time and an endless stream of 'political commentators' like Darren Grimes who have don't fuck all in their lives but seem important enough to have on the media to opine on public policy.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 am
lambrini wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:18 am
I agree whole-heartedly.
+1

One of the big problems is that political leaders refuse to engage in long-form interviews. Johnson for example hasn't done a single one.

That leaves you with half-arsed ten-minute interviews where politicians have mastered the art of talking themselves out of time and an endless stream of 'political commentators' like Darren Grimes who have don't fuck all in their lives but seem important enough to have on the media to opine on public policy.
+1

I thought Neil's interview with Sunak was quite good, but, as you say, it was only half an hour (30 minutes is usually long) and rushed. Sunak's answers were well-rehearsed.
Neil interrogated his answers and put him on the spot a few times, though.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

lambrini wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:16 am

I thought Neil's interview with Sunak was quite good, but, as you say, it was only half an hour (30 minutes is usually long) and rushed. Sunak's answers were well-rehearsed.
Neil interrogated his answers and put him on the spot a few times, though.
Ironic the leader of the party that babbles on about free speech, won't speak.

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

antdad wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:59 am The master woo'er manages to connect with every incel in the nation...

Love him or hate him, Porky was the best contributor of those three, threw in a couple of his old fleet street tales and kept the conversation bouncing along.
There's no poem, just prose.

antdad

Post by antdad »

That's not saying alot about the other contributors. I'll give him some credit though...he is tiresomely predictable especially when it comes to talking about a subject he knows little about like talking to women.

subsub

Post by subsub »

antdad wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:08 pm That's not saying alot about the other contributors. I'll give him some credit though...he is tiresomely predictable especially when it comes to talking about a subject he knows little about like talking to women.
Didn't Kim Kardashian offer him a heartwarmer in a crowded bar once?
WOKE AND PROUD

antdad

Post by antdad »

:) Yes. a very very crowded bar.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

antdad wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:47 pm :) Yes. a very very crowded bar.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤭
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Don't know why people like him, Gaunt and that Neil Oliver don't just get a haircut a shave and smarten up a bit. They look like fucking tramps.
There's no poem, just prose.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:29 pm Don't know why people like him, Gaunt and that Neil Oliver don't just get a haircut a shave and smarten up a bit. They look like fucking tramps.
The tramp look is trendy 🤭
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see