TV Quizzes - a query

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
VeritasVincit

TV Quizzes - a query

Post by VeritasVincit »

In my present state of unenforced idleness, I watch a few TV quizzes.
I’ve noticed that many, if not most, competitors rarely just give they answer. Instead they treat us to an explanation of their reasoning and/or general knowledge.

Has anyone on here appeared in a TV quiz, and if so are they instructed to drag out their answers rather than just giving the correct one which they know?

Zambo

Re: TV Quizzes - a query

Post by Zambo »

One of the worst for this is Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and I'm sure they are told to drag it out. That means many of the contestants don't get the opportunity to play.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

I appeared on the old William G Stewart '15-1' as one of the few shows where they get straight into it.

People say go on 'The Chase' or similar, but you need to have shit anecdotes and stuff.

Yes, they do it as filler and they are more interested in characters. They give you an interview audition for 'The Chase' to see your 'character, probably most do. '15-1' was straightforward questions audition, though it has more chat now.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm I appeared on the old William G Stewart '15-1' as one of the few shows where they get straight into it
Question or nominate, Carlos?
WOKE AND PROUD

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

subsub wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:08 pm
Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm I appeared on the old William G Stewart '15-1' as one of the few shows where they get straight into it
Ha. Laura was very glam. No wonder dirty dog William G married her.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:10 pm
How did you get on?
I used to watch it a lot, but some fiendish questions in there sometimes.
WOKE AND PROUD

gheko

Post by gheko »

15-1 was THE quiz show. No fucking about, loads of questions.

Don't have TV now but I pop round the folks for dinner on a Wednesday and we watch pointless and house of games. They're ok.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

subsub wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:17 pm
How did you get on?
I was no Bill McKaig. :( Who got the maximum 433pts, which have posted before but C4 have blocked. :(

Anyway, err stalling your question. Well, have posted before, didn't make it through, got both first round questions wrong. One was a very long-winded question about an art term with military origins and sort of lost focus. The answer was avant garde.

Second question I can't remenber, but had an educated guess and wrong so light off and goodbye. Think I worked out in two thirds of the positions I would have got through. Still, good times, fun times.

gheko

Post by gheko »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:36 pm
How did you get on?
I was no Bill McKaig. :( Who got the maximum 433pts, which have posted before but C4 have blocked. :(

Anyway, err stalling your question. Well, have posted before, didn't make it through, got both first round questions wrong. One was a very long-winded question about an art term with military origins and sort of lost focus. The answer was avant garde.

Second question I can't remenber, but had an educated guess and wrong so light off and goodbye. Think I worked out in two thirds of the positions I would have got through. Still, good times, fun times.
Bill was top dog .
Daphne Fowler was also a beast.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

gheko wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:19 pm
How did you get on?

Bill was top dog .
And bloody Nick Terry, pilot from Redhill, Surrey.

gheko

Post by gheko »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:21 pm
gheko wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:19 pm
How did you get on?

Bill was top dog .
And bloody Nick Terry, pilot from Redhill, Surrey.
He won it the most times. Show off!!

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Eggheads was the worst for this- top level quizzers explaining every answer, even ones anyone would know.

I get it when ordinary contestants do it on harder questions, probably £16k and above on WWTBAM- often to try and narrow it down- but if you know the answer, just say it.

subsub

Post by subsub »

How did you get on?

No disgrace in that, Carlos. There were always a couple of people who got two stinkers in Rd 1.
WOKE AND PROUD

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm I appeared on the old William G Stewart '15-1' as one of the few shows where they get straight into it.

People say go on 'The Chase' or similar, but you need to have shit anecdotes and stuff.

Yes, they do it as filler and they are more interested in characters. They give you an interview audition for 'The Chase' to see your 'character, probably most do. '15-1' was straightforward questions audition, though it has more chat now.
I don't know if he started it but I always associate the shit anecdotes stuff with Les Dennis on Family Fortunes. "So, Maureen. Tell us about that time your head was knocked off on Southport Beach by a frisbee" or some such tale of middle-aged woman in embarrassing moment.

Get on with the bloody show.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JW90 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:43 pm
Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm I appeared on the old William G Stewart '15-1' as one of the few shows where they get straight into it.

I don't know if he started it but I always associate the shit anecdotes stuff with Les Dennis on Family Fortunes. "So, Maureen. Tell us about that time your head was knocked off on Southport Beach by a frisbee" or some such tale of middle-aged woman in embarrassing moment.

Get on with the bloody show.
Ha. Shows would be about ten minutes without the shit banter and far better for it.