TV Quizzes - a query

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
gheko

Re: TV Quizzes - a query

Post by gheko »

Strike it lucky was the worst for banter.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

gheko wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:54 pm Strike it lucky was the worst for banter.
"Awwight at the back?"
"What is a hotspot not?"
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Always been more about the presenter's patter than the contestants knowledge
15 to 1 broke that but nothing followed it

Brucie and Bob Monkhouse main protagonists and made them fortunes.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:37 pm "What is a hotspot not?"
What was the next line? I could never understand what the audience were shouting.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:01 pm
What was the next line? I could never understand what the audience were shouting.
"GET OUT OF THE POOL!! QUICK!!"
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

JW90 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 pm - but if you know the answer, just say it.
Yeah, but the people who make these shows think that knowledge will be unpopular with the audience, hence the preponderance of "loveable" thickos on Reality TV.
No-one EVER says "I learned it at school" any more, I'm sure they must be told not to ... it's always "I've no idea, Brian, this is a pure guess. I went to Hastings on the train and the fare was £10.66, so I'm going with 'A, 1066', but I cannot emphasise enough that I'm just guessing. I can pad this out some more if you want."

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Basualdo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:06 pm "GET OUT OF THE POOL!! QUICK!!"
I had to laugh when he was on Celebrity Big Brother, and got told off for throwing a dog-end into the pool. For fuck's sake, Michael, what IS it with you and swimming-pools? :-)

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:01 pm
I think it was "A good spot".

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

JW90 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 pm Eggheads was the worst for this- top level quizzers explaining every answer, even ones anyone would know.

I get it when ordinary contestants do it on harder questions, probably £16k and above on WWTBAM- often to try and narrow it down- but if you know the answer, just say it.
I find Eggheads unwatchable because of the explaining thing. Apparently contestants are told in advance that they have to answer that way, but it makes the show so bloody slow, and it's also ridiculous when they explain something obvious that everyone knows.
I really am a biatch

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm I appeared on the old William G Stewart '15-1' as one of the few shows where they get straight into it.

People say go on 'The Chase' or similar, but you need to have shit anecdotes and stuff.

Yes, they do it as filler and they are more interested in characters. They give you an interview audition for 'The Chase' to see your 'character, probably most do. '15-1' was straightforward questions audition, though it has more chat now.
Really? I watched The Chase a few days ago – an old pre-COVID episode, so weird seeing people huddled together – and one contestant, a pink-haired-baking-Disney-loving feminist – had no character whatsoever.
You'd be surprised how many Chase contestants seem very nervous on camera, which surely affects first impressions during the audition stage?
I'd never go on a gameshow. Imagine losing or getting no answers correct. Lol. Yikes.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The last contestant in the builder is usually the thickest and when they take the minus offer and don't answer one question in the chase, I find myself shouting at the tv. :D

and hoping they all lose.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

lambrini wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:39 am
Carlos J wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm I appeared on the old William G Stewart '15-1' as one of the few shows where they get straight into it.

People say go on 'The Chase' or similar, but you need to have shit anecdotes and stuff.

Yes, they do it as filler and they are more interested in characters. They give you an interview audition for 'The Chase' to see your 'character, probably most do. '15-1' was straightforward questions audition, though it has more chat now.
Really? I watched The Chase a few days ago – an old pre-COVID episode, so weird seeing people huddled together – and one contestant, a pink-haired-baking-Disney-loving feminist – had no character whatsoever.
You'd be surprised how many Chase contestants seem very nervous on camera, which surely affects first impressions during the audition stage?
I'd never go on a gameshow. Imagine losing or getting no answers correct. Lol. Yikes.
Bit in red, that says character. Think the interview audition for 'The Chase' was a phone one (this was a friend a few years back), probably now a video one, so people a bit more comfortable as you say, people become more nervous in front of the cameras. Maybe they do a mock game version now like 15-1 was, don't know, but more expense.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

LaaLaa wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:03 pm
JW90 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 pm Eggheads was the worst for this- top level quizzers explaining every answer, even ones anyone would know.

I get it when ordinary contestants do it on harder questions, probably £16k and above on WWTBAM- often to try and narrow it down- but if you know the answer, just say it.
I find Eggheads unwatchable because of the explaining thing. Apparently contestants are told in advance that they have to answer that way, but it makes the show so bloody slow, and it's also ridiculous when they explain something obvious that everyone knows.
It truly is when the answer is bloody obvious. But was it Tarrant who used to say, "It's only easy if you know the answer?"

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Carlos J wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:17 pm I think it was "A good spot".
Ah, that makes no sense at all, since his question was "Wha's a hot-spot NOT?" But it WAS, of course.

Reminds me of 3-2-1, where the answer to the clues was exactly the opposite of what a reasonable person would deduce.
"I'm a bin, and you would put rubbish in me" would turn out to be a speedboat, and "I go very fast in the water, like a speedboat would" is obviously Dusty Bins. :-)

subsub

Post by subsub »

JimmyDee wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:02 pm
Carlos J wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:17 pm I think it was "A good spot".
Ah, that makes no sense at all, since his question was "Wha's a hot-spot NOT?" But it WAS, of course.

Reminds me of 3-2-1, where the answer to the clues was exactly the opposite of what a reasonable person would deduce.
"I'm a bin, and you would put rubbish in me" would turn out to be a speedboat, and "I go very fast in the water, like a speedboat would" is obviously Dusty Bins. :-)
:lol: :lol:
Exactly. The clues were ridiculously long-winded and misleading.
WOKE AND PROUD