TV Quizzes - a query

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
JimmyDee

Re: TV Quizzes - a query

Post by JimmyDee »

subsub wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:11 pm Exactly. The clues were ridiculously long-winded and misleading.
That was half the fun, though.
Quiz-shows in the 70s were so over-complicated ... but so are radio-quizzes now, especially the sports-based ones.

"You can have a one-point question, a two-point question or a three-point question ... and that's a bogey, a par or a birdie "... and so on, taking longer to read the rules than to do the fucking quiz, and it ends up with one of them saying "1000" and the other one saying either "999" or "1001". I'm on the edge of my seat!
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

'Anthony Martin from Staines in Middlesex' is the one I always remember from 15-1.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JimmyDee wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:02 pm
Carlos J wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:17 pm I think it was "A good spot".
Ah, that makes no sense at all, since his question was "Wha's a hot-spot NOT?" But it WAS, of course.

Reminds me of 3-2-1, where the answer to the clues was exactly the opposite of what a reasonable person would deduce.
"I'm a bin, and you would put rubbish in me" would turn out to be a speedboat, and "I go very fast in the water, like a speedboat would" is obviously Dusty Bins. :-)
It wasn't though. From vague memory a hot spot meant you fucked up, so it was not a good spot. You didn't want to land on a hot spot.

You made me doubt myself, Jimmy, so went back to check. From Mr Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_It_Lucky
Finding a Hot Spot forfeited all un-banked prizes and ended the turn. If a team completed all their moves without finding a Hot Spot, all prizes found on that turn were automatically banked.

Here's Mr Barrymore now saying it:

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

JimmyDee wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:30 pm
subsub wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:11 pm Exactly. The clues were ridiculously long-winded and misleading.
That was half the fun, though.
Quiz-shows in the 70s were so over-complicated ... but so are radio-quizzes now, especially the sports-based ones.

"You can have a one-point question, a two-point question or a three-point question ... and that's a bogey, a par or a birdie "... and so on, taking longer to read the rules than to do the fucking quiz, and it ends up with one of them saying "1000" and the other one saying either "999" or "1001". I'm on the edge of my seat!
There was a legendary episode of Sport or Nought on H&J once, where one competitor clearly had no idea what was going on.
He said "SPORT!" for every single question, even when the names were clearly made up. Think he played his joker ("JOKANOVIC!") on the first go, too.
Somehow he wangled a draw with the other guy, so it went to a tie-breaker, and I think he won in the end :mrgreen:
WOKE AND PROUD

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Rowntree wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:31 pm 'Anthony Martin from Staines in Middlesex' is the one I always remember from 15-1.
Remember him as well, Rowntree. And as per, Bill McKaig, Daphne Fowler and Nick 'Fucking' Terry, Pilot from Redhill, Surrey.

Yay, found one of Bill's 433. The first two rounds. 10 out was brutal:

Bill's march to glory. The uploader 'apologies about the quality'. Too fucking right, Martin Penny's (who was in the final round) version taken down was fine. And how can the same uploader have two compketely different versions? Anyway. And as per, these questions aren't that bad, could get 25-30/40:

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

There was another one - a woman, always miserable, looked a bit like Rose West without glasses, possibly Scottish.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Rowntree wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:23 pm There was another one - a woman, always miserable, looked a bit like Rose West without glasses, possibly Scottish.
Sounds nice. :) Can't remember her, though as per, Rose in her younger days wasn't bad.

subsub

Post by subsub »

I found it!
Not quite as I remember, but a fantastic episode :lol: :lol:

WOKE AND PROUD

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

Had a look on Wiki and remembered a few more names

Chris Russon - ginger haired chap with a bowl cut hairstyle

Kevin Ashman - became an Egghead

Mal Collier -Jocko, I think

Barbara Thompson - pretty sure she's the miserable one I was referring to in the previous post

Leslie Booth

Thomas Dyer

Terry and McKaig were in later series and I don't remember them at all.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

lambrini wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:39 am I'd never go on a gameshow. Imagine losing or getting no answers correct. Lol. Yikes.
AKA "Wibbling"
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

subsub wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:32 pm I found it!
Not quite as I remember, but a fantastic episode :lol: :lol:

Ha, Heard it before, maybe even heard it live.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:57 pm
lambrini wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:39 am I'd never go on a gameshow. Imagine losing or getting no answers correct. Lol. Yikes.
AKA "Wibbling"
A bit harsh, Higgins. :cry: :cry:

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Rowntree wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:35 pm Had a look on Wiki and remembered a few more names

Chris Russon - ginger haired chap with a bowl cut hairstyle

Kevin Ashman - became an Egghead

Mal Collier -Jocko, I think

Barbara Thompson - pretty sure she's the miserable one I was referring to in the previous post

Leslie Booth

Thomas Dyer

Terry and McKaig were in later series and I don't remember them at all.
Nick Terry, pilot from Redhill, Surrey was a smug cunt. Here he is winning a series and Bill was there:

That is freaky watching the start. As at number 7 is Amy Godel, Hypnotherapist. I'm damned sure she was in my round as there was only one decent err bird in there and the name rings a bell. plus there were only three of us young and not north of 50. But I can't remember if she won, she must have as only winners supposedly invited back. Will have to dig out my photo of the day as VHS long gone. Didn't really chat to her as all err gameface and tucking into the free food and a long time in make up. :shock: Maybe it was 1998, no idea, all time a bit lost then. All I know, I was living in Nottm and moved to sunny Suffolk in 2002.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Rowntree wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:23 pm There was another one - a woman, always miserable, looked a bit like Rose West without glasses, possibly Scottish.
You could have stopped at 'always miserable'.
We'd have assumed she was Scottish from that.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

Basualdo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:18 pm
You could have stopped at 'always miserable'.
We'd have assumed she was Scottish from that.
I actually have a vague feeling she was from Middlesbrough.