Gameday Countdown with Woods, Mitch, Moore & 'Sinbad'

Talksport - the main station discussion place
JimmyDee

Re: Gameday Countdown with Woods, Mitch, Moore & 'Sinbad'

Post by JimmyDee »

Champagne and Roses wrote:... bring out a book like Lineker. Luke Aaron Moore should do that, It’d need to be a Xmas annual for his target audience.
Luke and Learn?

"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Champagne and Roses

Post by Champagne and Roses »

Good idea. That book cover has more diversity than Luke Aaron Moore’s podcast, four suspiciously pale looking student blokes - Lee Clayton need to send him away for some diversity training.
Blocked by Andy Jacobs since 2011
You might even spot me having a bit of veal

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

What ho, Gerald!
I was stunned when I googled the Luke and Learn Bukes. That one I posted, I actually GOT that as a Christmas present.
Fuck me! Where did all the years go? :-)

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

James90125

Post by James90125 »

Who are these people? Nicola Holiday?

JW90

Post by JW90 »

"Nicola Holiday? Sounds like Ollerway dunnit Al. Imagine if moi neem woz loike that Al. Ian Holiday, Ha ha".

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Craig Mitch has gone full retard
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Where do they get them from?

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

Game Day:

Matterface today: I noticed he only contributes with a personal reminiscence, such as 'I was actually commentating at that game' or 'I interviewed him a while ago and...' He's a very insecure little tit.

The posh woman hosting in the mornings - she might be slick by TS standards but she's not very good. She's at a game where there's a torrential downpour and she declares it's very dry and sunny, until Stuart Pearce points out it's the opposite. She has a set of bland pre-prepared questions but once those are exhausted she's helpless.

TS still can't transcend the asinine old football habit of clinging to oudated and irrelevant stats. 'Liverpool haven't won at Bramhall Lane for several games!' Wow, you mean many years ago, when the teams were completely different, the managers were completely different, and the entire situation was completely different? Well, what a facinating stat that is, then! And wasn't that proven by the result?

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Ah yes, I do enjoy the irrelevant or misleading stat. "THEY HAVEN'T WON HERE FOR 50 YEARS, IS THE PLACE CURSED?"

Then you find out it is 3 draws and 2 defeats over 5 matches with the last one being played 15 years before when nobody involved in the game was at the club and the majority of players not even at high school.

"Do they fear it when they see the stadium, having such a poor record here. Does it play on the mind?" I'm sure they don't think of anything else before the game, reading old copies of the Rothmans Yearbook to find when this curse began.

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Helping out the betting punters with all these useful stats. :)

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

The combination of the fact that Trevor Sinclair is a nasty piece of work, along with his stupid campy voice, makes him a particularly irritating co-commentator.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

ccreds wrote: ...all these useful stats. :)
I've noticed that creeping in over the years in all commentary; statistics as a replacement for insight.
Dan Maskell, God bless him, wasn't the best commentator in the world, but he didn't feel the need to scream "And that's 78% of second-serves to the ad-court!" whenever he had nothing useful to say; HE said nothing.

The boy Mitch slipped one in (hello!) last night. "He's made 178 tackles", he usefully pointed out for those of us without Google. No context, of course, just a raw figure, but it was most impressive, nonetheless :-)

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

JimmyDee wrote:
ccreds wrote: ...all these useful stats. :)
I've noticed that creeping in over the years in all commentary; statistics as a replacement for insight.

Yes. Martin Tyler was once good but has been ruined by Sky. All the 'badinage' with Andy Gray has left him incapable of ever shutting his mouth, and he now insists on telling what something on a rainy day in 1908 has to do with someone taking an indirect free kick today, as if there's really some spooky medieval curse about to strike. He's like the worst bore in the world sitting next to you at the game. And then there's that hellish screaming of names that started with 'Henryyyy' and then got even worse with 'Agueroooo'. Ear-bleedingly horrible.

Monty Modlin

Post by Monty Modlin »

Yes - fans are the ones that are supposed to scream and lose their shit when their team wins something, not the commentators or the pundits, who are paid to convey information and atmosphere.

Cundy is one example - I remember him almost herniating himself verbally during one stint at the mic. We know you love your club, Jason - but do the job you're paid for. Screaming 'get in' at the top of your lung capacity doesn't help the listener in any way at all.

Proper pet hate, that.
The real Boris Johnson died with Covid in hospital. He was replaced by a professional impersonator who has been avoiding talking to the press ever since.

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

Radio commentary is probably picking up a few disaffected TV watchers, because the TV coverage has grown so bad - and not just bad but incredibly dim-witted. Take replays - okay, they have lots more cameras these days so there's a temptation to use them to show multiple angles of even the most trivial of incidents or the most pathetic of scuffed shots. But now counter attacks take place at such speed you can go from a keeper catching a ball and throwing it upfield to a Salah or someone sprinting on and scoring within about seven seconds from one end to the other. But directors will still insist on multiple replays, so you end up almost missing a goal, or sometimes cutting back to real time to find there's a corner at the other end. That's incredibly irritating for a viewer. The old idea - perfectly sensible one - that you don't go to replays while the ball is in play has completely faded away. And when you're not being distracted by replays, there are endless shots of a manager, again while the action is happenng, not doing anything but staring at that game that you can't see!

So radio could be benefitting, perversely, from all of this. But then you've got snide dweebs like Matterface.