James90125

Re: Talksport Commentary

Post by James90125 »

"The turd has turned"

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Good batter in places

Durham asked Parker "Did you offer to take a penalty in 1990?

Pearce Said "He did for the Germans"

:lol:

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

Clive Tiddley is a master commentator compared to the likes of Matterfact. But in more general terms he, too, leaves much to be desired. His latest weird tic is to make a really pointless and unfunny 'joke,' then seemingly panic about possible complaints and clarify that he wasn't being serious. What on earth is the point? Yesterday he said, 'And the ball boy who Duncan Ferguson squeazed just then has been rushed to hospital with breathing difficulties...Er...Not really, obviously'. He and Jon 'We are the' Champion are the two who sadly have 'inspired' younger twits like Matterfact to believe that chronic sarcasm is the equivalent of wit. Listening to Matterfact in particular, you can hear him straining non-stop to think of something 'funny' to say, which usually results in him sneering about someone, or taking the even easier route of mocking Stuart Pearce's ignorance. It's a real trend these days. Actually none of them really have a natural aptitude to be funny, which is no crime at all when your job is to commentate on sport, so I wish they'd just relax, stop trying to sound clever-clever and just concentrate on descibing the action. (Ian Danter, for example, IS someone who can be genuinely funny, but, ironically, he doesn't try to be funny when he's commentating. They should learn from him.)

subsub

Post by subsub »

Erskine Might wrote:Clive Tiddley is a master commentator compared to the likes of Matterfact. But in more general terms he, too, leaves much to be desired. His latest weird tic is to make a really pointless and unfunny 'joke,' then seemingly panic about possible complaints and clarify that he wasn't being serious. What on earth is the point? Yesterday he said, 'And the ball boy who Duncan Ferguson squeazed just then has been rushed to hospital with breathing difficulties...Er...Not really, obviously'. He and Jon 'We are the' Champion are the two who sadly have 'inspired' younger twits like Matterfact to believe that chronic sarcasm is the equivalent of wit. Listening to Matterfact in particular, you can hear him straining non-stop to think of something 'funny' to say, which usually results in him sneering about someone, or taking the even easier route of mocking Stuart Pearce's ignorance. It's a real trend these days. Actually none of them really have a natural aptitude to be funny, which is no crime at all when your job is to commentate on sport, so I wish they'd just relax, stop trying to sound clever-clever and just concentrate on descibing the action. (Ian Danter, for example, IS someone who can be genuinely funny, but, ironically, he doesn't try to be funny when he's commentating. They should learn from him.)

Agreed, Erskine.
I also loathe the way commentators clearly pre-prepare 'gags' or puns, and if a certain player scores or certain scenario happens, they say it with such glee, and always pretend they've thought of it that second. Cringey stuff.
WOKE AND PROUD

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

Yes. And whenever Motson insists that his painfully laboured 'Culture Club/Crazy Gang' line 'just came to me in the moment' I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Champagne and Roses

Post by Champagne and Roses »

Erskine Might wrote:Actually none of them really have a natural aptitude to be funny, which is no crime at all when your job is to commentate on sport …..
The crime is that they don't have a natural aptitude to commentate on sport on the radio either - it was the same yesterday, minutes on end where they don't even mention what's happening on the pitch then the sudden panic scream "Shot over the bar !" because even they realise that if they fail to commentate on a goal there will be trouble.
Blocked by Andy Jacobs since 2011
You might even spot me having a bit of veal

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

Yes, quite a few of them, especially Matterface, have come from TV and they haven't been trained how to commentate for radio. That's painfully clear.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but all of the Proudfoot sound bites TS use in trailers ('eg the Brian Moore reprise 'Across the face of the goal!' and 'He could score here - and he has!' etc etc) never sound to me as though they've been taken from a real game commentary, they always sound as though he's just recorded them specially for the purpose. I partly think that because they never sound natural (his throat-based screech is even worse than usual), and partly because he's hardly ever that alert and pertinent during a game. But if it is faked, that's pretty pathetic.

Champagne and Roses

What is annoying is that they have some pretty good radio commentators who don’t try to show off - Mark Wilson, Dants, couple of others whose names I don’t know - but they get allocated the low-profile or Championship games. For the big games they always go with the ones who have some sort of TV profile no matter how feeble - it is idiotic.

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

Peter Jones. That's all would-be radio commentators should need - listen to recordings of that man. A superb football commentator - no silly jokes, no pre-rehearsed sound bites, no 'banter,' just genuine joy for the game, an intelligent perspective and a desire to share it with his listeners.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Erskine Might wrote:Peter Jones. That's all would-be radio commentators should need - listen to recordings of that man.
Quite. I've said this before and I'll say it again, just to show I've not changed my mind ... A BBC producer, in a tribute piece, pointed out that you could take any of his goal-commentaries and play it, unedited, as the end-of-game roundup. He not only described the goal but put it into the context of the match; all in a normal voice at normal volume.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

I remember as a kid, when I couldn't get to a big game, listening in the bedroom, in darkness, heart pumping, and Jones describing a whole picture and process. Magical stuff from someone who effortlessly made it an art. What the heck people get listening to Matterface is a mystery - jokes? stats? acid reflux? I hate the 'in the old days' reminiscences, but, well, in this case...

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Matterface making lots of angry tweets about last night's result. I hope he's cry wanking in bed, the weasel.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

James90125

Post by James90125 »

Wonder what wanky references he'll make about it this weekend.

Champagne and Roses

Zippy wrote:Matterface making lots of angry tweets about last night's result. I hope he's cry wanking in bed, the weasel.
Ha ha ha. Worth voting Conservative just to make that happen. I imagine Rushden is also devastated but will hide this behind his normal mask of “supercilious public school wanker who doesn’t take anything seriously”.

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Courtney at Boston match.